PDA

View Full Version : Opti-coat 2.0 on chrome wheels

Pages : [1] 2

Nomadsto
11-22-2014, 09:34 PM
I applied Opti-coat 2.0 to my aftermarket chrome wheels just before last winter hit. It was only when I started my winter prep this year, that I realized how much I've been taking for granted how easy they've been to clean all this time. Since I applied the OPTi I have had zero tarnish, zero oxidation, and they've been as easy to clean as wiping them down with soap and water and buffing them with a microfiber. I hit them with a little spray sealant every couple of weeks. I actually did a little test with metal polish the other day and got zero black residue! I think the company really should've played up how great it was for chrome when they had it on the market. It won't however protect your wheels from that grinding salt and sand on the road in winter. Trust me I know from experience. Anyone else have a similar experience on their wheels?

allenk4
11-22-2014, 09:40 PM
I have only seen it on one set of chrome wheels and they looked fine, but I do think the OC2.0 does not give the best shine on chrome

But, I also don't think it looks as good as wax on paint

Nomadsto
11-22-2014, 09:46 PM
I have only seen it on one set of chrome wheels and they looked fine, but I do think the OC2.0 does not give the best shine on chrome

But, I also don't think it looks as good as wax on paint

Totally agree, it must be topped.

Rsurfer
11-23-2014, 01:50 AM
Totally agree, it must be topped.

Nothing will bond to Opti 2, so why top it?

Nomadsto
11-23-2014, 03:25 AM
Nothing will bond to Opti 2, so why top it?

Sure things bond to it. Just not as long as bare clearcoat. The reason I top it is to add the slickness the opti lacks. Surly you've read folks complaints about Opti's tacky feel? Are you a user?

Rsurfer
11-23-2014, 03:40 AM
Sure things bond to it. Just not as long as bare clearcoat. The reason I top it is to add the slickness the opti lacks. Surly you've read folks complaints about Opti's tacky feel? Are you a user?
Laying on top of OC and bonding are two different things. What do you top OC2 with and how long does the slickness last? I've used OC2 and OCP many times.

Nomadsto
11-23-2014, 05:46 AM
Laying on top of OC and bonding are two different things. What do you top OC2 with and how long does the slickness last? I've used OC2 and OCP many times.

I have used either one of Garry Deans 2 spray on polymer sealants. They are WOWA. I'm getting a good six weeks out of them, though they are rated: to normally last 3 to 4 months. Let me just say I do believe that OC2 is as tough and durable as advertised. But as an LSP it leaves a lot to be desired. I think there's a reason they waited so long to offer it to the general public, and there's a reason they've reformulated it and taken 2.0 off the market. It's just difficult to apply correctly. I applied it to my 2 cars and had terrible water spotting, it wasn't very hydrophobic, and it didn't shed dirt very well.

builthatch
11-23-2014, 12:11 PM
I applied Opti-coat 2.0 to my aftermarket chrome wheels just before last winter hit. It was only when I started my winter prep this year, that I realized how much I've been taking for granted how easy they've been to clean all this time. Since I applied the OPTi I have had zero tarnish, zero oxidation, and they've been as easy to clean as wiping them down with soap and water and buffing them with a microfiber. I hit them with a little spray sealant every couple of weeks. I actually did a little test with metal polish the other day and got zero black residue! I think the company really should've played up how great it was for chrome when they had it on the market. It won't however protect your wheels from that grinding salt and sand on the road in winter. Trust me I know from experience. Anyone else have a similar experience on their wheels?

despite what some people think, OPT hasn't played up the extent of what the coating can do. they have no particular marketing efforts - it's generally organic, created through customers and on forums. they release new items at SEMA and there is no OPT-driven hype to let you know. it's all from users and resellers.

as you mentioned, 2.0 is susceptible to road wash but having it disappear over the course of ONE winter is surprising. living in NJ, i'm very familiar with the road treatments and what they can do. but hey, everyone drives differently.

chrome is pretty robust on its own....good chrome, that is, but coating will obviously help as you've found out. on crappy chrome it can help against pitting and such. but where it can really shine as a protective coating is polished aluminum (billet) wheels. it makes such a difference in maintenance requirements.

edit: i think adding anything on top of it on wheels is placebo in terms of appearance because i have yet to find a real advantage to make it worth while. make sure it looks good underneath and call it a day.

OP, have you tried Gloss-Coat yet on anything? curious what you think if you have.

allenk4
11-23-2014, 01:36 PM
despite what some people think, OPT hasn't played up the extent of what the coating can do. they have no particular marketing efforts - it's generally organic, created through customers and on forums. they release new items at SEMA and there is no OPT-driven hype to let you know. it's all from users and resellers.

Seriously?

Dr. G and several other OPT employees have frequented the various Forums for years promoting their products

They have done videos with AGO

They have provided verbiage for their approved vendors that includes all of their Marketing Claims such as Permanent, 1-2 microns, etc.

They support multiple website promoting the claimed benefits of their products

Optimum Car Care / Opti-Coat / Opti-Glass Coating / Opti-Lens Coating (http://www.opti-coat.com/coatings.html)

It is what good companies do. They Market in all available channels, not to would be a bad business decision. No problem with it at all, as long as you stand behind your claims and are willing to substantiate them

From Urban Dictionary:

"Millions of suckers fell for the hype and bought a Playstation 2."

Does this apply to OPT and "Permanent"?

Maybe, you are confusing Marketing & Advertising?

"

Rsurfer
11-23-2014, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Nomadsto;1190715] But as an LSP it leaves a lot to be desired. I think there's a reason they waited so long to offer it to the general public, and there's a reason they've reformulated it and taken 2.0 off the market. It's just difficult to apply correctly.

You are absolutely incorrect as to why they reformulated OC.

allenk4
11-23-2014, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Nomadsto;1190715] But as an LSP it leaves a lot to be desired. I think there's a reason they waited so long to offer it to the general public, and there's a reason they've reformulated it and taken 2.0 off the market. It's just difficult to apply correctly.

You are absolutely incorrect as to why they reformulated OC.

If you know, please end the speculation

Why did OPT reformulate OC2.0?

Is Gloss-Coat a reformulation of OC2.0 or is it significantly different in chemical composition?

Thanks

builthatch
11-23-2014, 06:24 PM
i have a user blocked so i'm missing some posts i guess but anyway guys Dr. G is readily available for these questions. one guys says one thing, the other guys says something else. calling the dude who makes it will settle the question if anyone really cares to know something.

Rsurfer
11-23-2014, 07:01 PM
[quote=Rsurfer;1190803]

If you know, please end the speculation

Why did OPT reformulate OC2.0?

Is Gloss-Coat a reformulation of OC2.0 or is it significantly different in chemical composition?

Thanks

There were two permanent Opticoats. One for the DIY and one for the Pro's which didn't make sense. Unfortunately some detailers were passing off Opticoat 2.0 as Opticoat Pro and charging more for a 5 year warranty. Now there is only one permanent coating (Opticoat Pro) and one with a life expectancy of 2 years...which now makes sense.

Opti Gloss can be topped and durability is shorter, so I guess it was reformulated. Some good sources say that Opti Gloss is slicker and has more gloss than Opticoat 2.0.

builthatch
11-23-2014, 07:34 PM
when i install 2.0 or OCP, it tends to be...squeaky clean. not slick to the touch. it's slightly grabby to the touch when cured. i use the back of my finger to check this sort of ridiculousness.

i have done one panel with Gloss-Coat and it feels like when you use OID. much slicker.

probably not as scientific as some people on this forum DEMAND (or else), but that's my initial impression.

allenk4
11-23-2014, 10:08 PM
[quote=allenk4;1190809]

There were two permanent Opticoats. One for the DIY and one for the Pro's which didn't make sense. Unfortunately some detailers were passing off Opticoat 2.0 as Opticoat Pro and charging more for a 5 year warranty. Now there is only one permanent coating (Opticoat Pro) and one with a life expectancy of 2 years...which now makes sense.

Opti Gloss can be topped and durability is shorter, so I guess it was reformulated. Some good sources say that Opti Gloss is slicker and has more gloss than Opticoat 2.0.

I believe the OC Pro Warranty is 5 years and OPT no longer offers a Permanent coating