PDA

View Full Version : When do heated and nonheated garages do damage?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cc rider
11-22-2014, 12:52 PM
What good is a garage in the north climates in the winter. Im near buffalo. A heated garage will speed up the rusting process when bringing a dirty vehicle into a heated garage..... Im assuming if the temps are freezing or below, it just wont rust as quick? The only thing u can do is make sure car is clean before bringing it in the garage (good luck with all the salt). So, in the winter a garage is useless here in my area. Im assuming even a nonheated garage can speed up the oxidation depending on the temps. We all know how that fine line between above freezing and below freezing changes around here.

davidc
11-22-2014, 02:27 PM
I was in Vermont quite a few years ago and there was a guy with an immaculate 70's version Suburban. He drove this thing daily. I asked him how he kept that thing from rusting away. His answer " I never let it thaw ", when spring comes I give it a thorough cleaning top to bottom. Apparently it must work as I was there in 2000.

Dave

allenk4
11-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Yeah, you are gonna have to put some Science behind this hypothesis

You know what they say..."Im assuming..."

Interested to hear more about how you came up with this

cc rider
11-22-2014, 03:09 PM
are you talking to me? If you are , then google it. Oxidation reaction happens faster with warmer temperatures. Im assuming u dont see it as much cause u r in LA

Yeah, you are gonna have to put some Science behind this hypothesis

You know what they say..."Im assuming..."

Interested to hear more about how you came up with this

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-22-2014, 04:22 PM
I live in Syracuse. I just keep my garage heated just above freezing. I turn it up when working in there.

allenk4
11-22-2014, 04:34 PM
are you talking to me? If you are , then google it. Oxidation reaction happens faster with warmer temperatures. Im assuming u dont see it as much cause u r in LA

I was indeed asking you for background information on the statement you posted

As a real world example: How much faster does oxidation take place at 60F vs. 30F?

If the vehicle is in a 60F garage overnite (10-12 hours) wouldn't it have time to completely dry out?

If the car thaws during the day, you leave it outside and the moisture in the panel gaps, and paint defects re-freezes and expands...does that cause or accelerate the damage

I'm just curious where you hear or read some scientific evidence that parking a car in a heated garage during Winter is a bad idea.

cc rider
11-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Like I said, youre from LA. Do u even see salt. Im not trying to start an argument. Notice there is a question mark in my post. Im not saying its the truth, but it does make sense to me. The freezing temps should slow down the process. I dont have any scientific proof. Im just going by what ive read and a guy i know at work was talking about it the other day. He was saying how it happened to someone he knows. Cause they noticed a huge difference in the rust after they were garaging it. im strictly talking about salt. Im not going to post every link ive read. Or, just feel free to leave it in there. Its your car. Better yet ....call a body shop or someone that would know. Just do a search on google for "does a car rust faster in a heated garage" or something similar

I was indeed asking you for background information on the statement you posted

As a real world example: How much faster does oxidation take place at 60F vs. 30F?

If the vehicle is in a 60F garage overnite (10-12 hours) wouldn't it have time to completely dry out?

If the car thaws during the day, you leave it outside and the moisture in the panel gaps, and paint defects re-freezes and expands...does that cause or accelerate the damage

I'm just curious where you hear or read some scientific evidence that parking a car in a heated garage during Winter is a bad idea.

allenk4
11-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Like I said, youre from LA. Do u even see salt. Im not trying to start an argument. Notice there is a question mark in my post. Im not saying its the truth, but it does make sense to me. The freezing temps should slow down the process. I dont have any scientific proof. Im just going by what ive read and a guy i know at work was talking about it the other day. He was saying how it happened to someone he knows. Cause they noticed a huge difference in the rust after they were garaging it. im strictly talking about salt. Im not going to post every link ive read. Or, just feel free to leave it in there. Its your car. Better yet ....call a body shop or someone that would know. Just do a search on google for "does a car rust faster in a heated garage" or something similar

You started the thread

Why are you unwilling to share with the group "...what ive (sp) read". Not asking for a complete bibliography, just one quote or link

You think a Body Shop is a good source of factual information on oxidation at various temperatures?

Currently, you are saying that you were only talking about salt, but eh original post mentions temperature
8 times?

Just one quote or hyperlink, please

DetailKitty
11-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I've garaged every vehicle I've owned... And everyone has never had a rust issue. I live in SE PA... a lot of snow, and a TON of salt and brine.

I'd much rather have a garage (which is also heated BTW) then leave my car outside.

SameGuy
11-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Our cars reside in our heated/cooled garage year-round. In winter it only gets down as low as 50° during severe cold snaps. Most of the rest of the winter it's closer to 65°. Our cars don't rust any quicker than anybody else's. My wife's 2002 Accord (bought July 2002), with no aftermarket rust protection, is only now showing signs of rust in the driver's side window frame along the A-pillar, hidden under the door seal.

Meanwhile, mom's 2003 Corolla (bought in April 2003 and treated with commercial rustproofing spray yearly) has never been garaged. There are signs of rust in most seams and panel gaps, under seals and trim and the entire undercarriage.

Not scientific, just anecdotal.

jfelbab
11-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Since Magnesium Chloride and Calcium Chloride are widely used to melt ice at below freezing temperatures they remain active in these freezing temps on your car as well. Not sure that the chemical reaction would stop unless the temps were well below zero and the water returns to ice. Offsetting the fact that the oxidation can accelerate at higher temperatures is the fact that cold water holds more oxygen at colder temps.

Most truckers will wash their rigs a couple time a week to remove these chemicals. They are also harmful to chrome trim and wheels, hoses and electrical connectors.

Here is a blurb on Magnesium Chloride:

Magnesium Chloride is a threat to motor vehicle bodies & frames.

New test methodology, SAE J2334, shows that MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE is more corrosive than salt.

Corrosion is a bigger problem than ever before because of changes in the way DOT’s now de-ice the roads and highways. Over the past 15 years, it is estimated that the costs associated with corrosion caused by anti-icing chemicals have increased more than tenfold.

$30,000,000,000! is the amount that the Federal Highway Administration estimates that corrosion costs the nation’s transportation industry. A lot of this is due to the increased use of MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE.

Over 38 states are currently using some sort of MgCI or CaCl to de-ice their roads.

Magnesium Chloride attracts moisture from the air making it more aggressive than salt because it is active even when “dry”.

One engineer states “MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE is basically ‘liquid rust’. It clings to everything and it attracts moisture – and it does not wash off easily”.

Tractors and trailers can be harmed even more when they drive through counties using different de-icers. Picking up all three chloride salts – calcium, magnesium and sodium – makes corrosion even worse.

The downside to MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE and CALCIUM CHLORIDE as de-icing agents are varied and serious in terms of the potential increase in maintenance time and costs. State and local DOT’s may apply these chemicals prior to any snowfall, increasing the likelihood and degree of exposure to cars, trucks, and trailers. These materials are especially destructive because of their abiliity to cling to the underbody of a vehicle and re-crystalize as they slowly dry out. By nature they attract and absorb moisture from the surrounding environment, keeping them in a semi-solution state for extended periods of time, which multiplies their corrosiveness.

In terms of trailers, road chemicals may affect a variety of components: structural members, suspensions, support gear, and top and bottom rails, to name a few.

I think I'll keep my car as clean as possible and in a garage when possible.

cc rider
11-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Why are u even worried about it in LA , or do u just like to argue. You wouldn't pour salt water all over your car and leave it there , would you? Have you even seen what winters are like here (western NY). Do you watch the news. I dont know the concrete facts. I couldnt tell you the difference in the process from 60 to 30 or any of that crap. Like I said , Im just going by what Ive read. Here you go since youre too lazy to look it up yourself. This is just 4:

Why do cars rust faster in a garage that on a street (http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_do_cars_rust_faster_in_a_garage_that_on_a_stre et)

Heated Garage Causes Rust? (http://www.mnautox.com/forums/showthread.php?10635-Heated-Garage-Causes-Rust)

More ways to make your car last forever (http://www.bellperformance.com/blog/more-ways-to-make-your-car-last-forever)

Rust-Proofing | Road Safety | SAAQ (http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road_safety/vehicles/helpful_hints/rust_proofing.php)

I wouldnt want my truck thawing in a WARM garage when it has a bunch of salt on it. But, I would want it in there IF ITS CLEAN.

It makes sense to me like I said. But , what do all these people know, right? Here is one from autopia:

blackfire???????? (http://www.autopia.org/forums/waxes-sealants-and-lsp-s/34417-blackfire.html)

You started the thread

Why are you unwilling to share with the group "...what ive (sp) read". Not asking for a complete bibliography, just one quote or link

You think a Body Shop is a good source of factual information on oxidation at various temperatures?

Currently, you are saying that you were only talking about salt, but eh original post mentions temperature
8 times?

Just one quote or hyperlink, please

cc rider
11-22-2014, 06:49 PM
You are also on autogeek, so you probably take good care of your vehicle like the rest of us. Try not washing it.

I've garaged every vehicle I've owned... And everyone has never had a rust issue. I live in SE PA... a lot of snow, and a TON of salt and brine.

I'd much rather have a garage (which is also heated BTW) then leave my car outside.

cc rider
11-22-2014, 06:51 PM

DetailKitty
11-22-2014, 06:56 PM

Ummmmmm?
Not sure why I need to look at your post twice?

I'm just saying what I have experienced over the years.