PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Detailing Going Stationary for Winter

MobileWasher
11-22-2014, 06:59 AM
Hello Everyone, I have a new mobile detailing business that I am trying very hard to keep rolling in the latest 12 - 28 degree weather and decreasing daylight hours. Everything I have read suggests that the weather will not be good for detailing outside.

I have decided to convert my garage into a "detailing facility" to continue business. My main questions are around lighting and and heating. Some of the questions I can think of are, what type of lighting, Regular or LED's, # of lumens and at what distance are needed for detailing. Heating, what type, how much is needed and if gas is recommended, how to do ventilation.

Any other advice people are willing to offer, I will more that graciously will accept. I thank you in advance for your help, I love what I do and want to do the best I can the right way, oh and feed my kids!

Best Regards,

Jason

Lakeside Detail
11-22-2014, 07:35 AM
I did the same thing, went from mobile to detailing in my 2 1/2 car garage for the winter. For heat I bought a Modine Hot Dawg 45,000 BTU. The vent can go vertical or horizontal. Of course you need a thimble where the vent passes through the wall or ceiling.

For lighting I went with T5 54w 5000k. I have a total of 8, 8ft strip fixtures I bought from home depot. 32 bulbs total. I have 2 fixtures mounted on the walls, 1 on each side of the car. I have 6 fixtures mounted to the ceiling. Lighting is very adequate, any less and I probably wouldn't of been happy. I priced out LED's, and for my budget it would of been to expensive to get the lumens I need. I do a lot of interior work so having the inside of a vehicle well illuminated is important to me.

VP Mark
11-22-2014, 07:36 AM
I have a bunch of overhead T8 lights plus movable fluorescent work lights in my garage. I run a kerosene powered salamander heater and it keeps the garage right at 60 degrees with very little running time. Other than that I just throw some ear buds in and get to work!

MobileWasher
11-22-2014, 10:26 AM
For heat I bought a Modine Hot Dawg 45,000 BTU. The vent can go vertical or horizontal. Of course you need a thimble where the vent passes through the wall or ceiling. Thanks for this information, can you expand on the thimble portion a bit for me please...went right over my head

For lighting I went with T5 54w 5000k. I have a total of 8, 8ft strip fixtures I bought from home depot. 32 bulbs total. I have 2 fixtures mounted on the walls, 1 on each side of the car. I have 6 fixtures mounted to the ceiling. Lighting is very adequate, any less and I probably wouldn't of been happy. I priced out LED's, and for my budget it would of been to expensive to get the lumens I need. I do a lot of interior work so having the inside of a vehicle well illuminated is important to me. I will have a lot of focus on the interior as well. Ok, there is a lot more required than I thought. With my smaller garage, I may need to go with movable light stands. I really appreciate your help.

MobileWasher
11-22-2014, 10:30 AM
I have a bunch of overhead T8 lights plus movable fluorescent work lights in my garage. I run a kerosene powered salamander heater and it keeps the garage right at 60 degrees with very little running time. Other than that I just throw some ear buds in and get to work!

How does the smell and fumes go with your kerosene heater? Pretty clean? 60 degrees would be outstanding.

Is there a pretty common place (home depot, etc...) you acquired your equip?

Thank you as well for your information. I love to hear from the experienced and plan to give back when I get there.

VP Mark
11-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Got it from home depot.. the fumes can get bad when it has to heat the garage from say 25 to 60 degrees but once it gets up to heat it shuts off then kicks back on for a few minutes to maintain it

Lakeside Detail
11-22-2014, 02:21 PM
A thimble is a metal piece the vent piping passes through to maintain your clearances from combustible material. I was not 100% sure on my local codes regarding gas pipe venting, so I had my HVAC friend install the vent for me, I did the rest.

MobileWasher
11-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Got it, Thanks again!