PDA

View Full Version : Selling a Detail: Approach?

Pages : [1] 2

Jim Lahey
11-21-2014, 10:11 PM
I'm not fond of using words like "sales" or "upselling", but it seems like if a detailer can't sell their own service, then they're on the fast-track to posting on craigslist or finding a new profession. I'd love the chance to hear from a professional about how they would sell a detail to a person (who is theoretically detail-uneducated, but has the financial means to buy).

P.S. was looking for your books online and instead came across two Mike Phillips who were pro athletes in the seventies... Can I have your autograph?

Velocitybts
11-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Jim,

In my experience it all depends on the customer. Customers who typically want a Paint Correction already pretty much know what they want, just need direction to how to get their car to that point.

Most people don't even really notice the swirls or light scratches, if a car shines then its beautiful. No telling how many times on a Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, Lambo dealer lot I have been and heard how well they take car of their cars. I then ask if the one year old Aventador has been through the detail shop. The manager replied yes, and how they do such a through job, their detailer is one of the best. I then asked why it was so swirled (black car) and he did not know what I was talking about. Then when I pointed them out, and said that could be removed, he said that takes too much time and if a customer wanted them removed they could take it somewhere to get it done.

Point is, most people are likely to want just a good All In One removing some of the lighter swirls, polishing the paint, and sealing it also. Then make sure everything else is clean and dressed. They will be ecstatic and praise your work.

Problem is, that after a PC a customer must take care of it properly. If they don't already baby their car, then that effort will be wasted. No point in sellling that to someone who won't make the after effort, with either the time or proper equipment.

I paint corrected a NSX and a Ferrari and afterwards went through the proper way to take care of it, and a list of products they should use to keep the finish pristine. One said he purchased all items on my list and was extrememly pleased 6 months later. It looked just as good. Ferrari customer called six months later saying why was his car in just as bad shape as before. I said I would drop by and check it out. When I arrived I clearly saw all the swirls from the road and it got worse as I drove around the circle driveway. After walking around the car, I asked the owner to please show me what his maintenance process was and what products was he using. What I saw next horrified me, however was expected. With pride he showed me a cloth wash mitt that was grey not white, a small bucket, Dawn liquid detergent, a stiff white brush for wheels, and then a huge stack he proudly showed me of well washed white TERRY cloth towels. He then said he made sure he washed it once a week and did not let anything sit on the finish. I asked did he purchase any products that I had mentioned to him in the after detail process. He said no, he had plenty of items there and didn't need them.

As you can see a owners pride and experience got in the way and he thought he was doing the right thing. He was not pleased when I told him that the first time he washed the car with the Dawn, he had stripped it of all the sealant, and he introduced all those swirls with the Terry cloth towels. I said I would help him out and get them gone again for half price. He said it was not worth it, it was still shiny and he would just keep it and put some wax on it. (Turtle wax I found out later).

This just shows you that you need to gauge your customers to what they should have, not what you want them to have. If they are not going to take care of it, then there is no point in doing the work or upsetting it to them. I would say 85% of owners wax less than once a year and wash their car once a week or less, but by a gas station wash.

A 150-200 one step full detail is about what the majority of people will do, but only once a year if that. You will get repeats, but most will be once. They look at it as a bill or a one time nice feeling. The rich ones are the worst. They aren't rich by spending.

Make your car the best it can be, and that will get you more work than anything else.

Paul A.
11-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Velocitybts is right on the money! I sell to customers what they want and expect as the final result...a clean and shiny vehicle. Very few want and even know what my full capabilities yield. My car gets it and is maintained flawlessly.

Having said that i have been attempting to "educate" but only those customers who have the potential to appreciate what i am explaining. Some get it with enlightened appreciation, some don't. For the latter it's back to wash and wax or AIO. They'll undo any hard work i have done so i don't waste my time or their money.

Jim Lahey
11-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I need to start looking at it through the eyes of the customer a little bit more

jarred767
11-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Good ideas in here and I completely agree. It is great to do full corrections and get a car flawless, but in reality, most customers won't appreciate this and like mentioned they'll undo the hard work. Most timesy customers want a clean and shiny car so I go through a lot of AIO products. Heck, this time of year in Seattle I have to work hard just to upsell them from an interior only.

If you're really wanting to "sell" a customer something, go in the direction of smaller protective things where they can see the direct benefits - like polishing and costing headlights or coating wheels and windshields. These types of things the customer can more easily directly relate to and see the benefits. Good luck!

hernandez.art13
11-23-2014, 01:04 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/314169005789b0ab0d00972bef3df6cf.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/1911355cf48772b1dd009966c3dd2852.jpg

After speaking with Kyle. I am thinking about leaving a business card for the owner of this vehicle.

With a special dedicated note on the card that would offer my services to help them out with the paint transfer.

They are a block away so I could just walk by and talk to them when they're outside or go knock on the door, but I want to practice.

What do you guys respectfully think? :)

hernandez.art13
11-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Sorry pictures are blurry, didn't want to get caught taking pictures as I walked by. Lol

Pureshine
11-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Just be honest with your customers and never try to sell them something they don't really need. When talking to your customer you should be able to get a feel for what they need and don't need.

allenk4
11-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Art and I discussed the above paint transfer and came up with a more direct approach

Hopefully, Art will chime in

dad07
11-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Art and I discussed the above paint transfer and came up with a more direct approach

Hopefully, Art will chime in

What's your approach? Does Art have to talk for you?

hernandez.art13
11-24-2014, 12:07 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/314169005789b0ab0d00972bef3df6cf.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/23/1911355cf48772b1dd009966c3dd2852.jpg

After speaking with Kyle. I am thinking about leaving a business card for the owner of this vehicle.

With a special dedicated note on the card that would offer my services to help them out with the paint transfer.

They are a block away so I could just walk by and talk to them when they're outside or go knock on the door, but I want to practice.

What do you guys respectfully think? :)

So as I walk by from time to time on my night time walks. I always thought this car was black.

I went over today and knocked on the door. Dressed nicely, with my leather business notebook in hand. The wife of the husband came to the door and started talking to me through the metal door. (Kyle dared me to go do it in person vs leaving the business card on the car lol) So I said, either now or never. :)

I said, I am the local detailer in town and I live down the street and that I would like to offer my services to remove the paint transfer from the black celica.

So she says, "great, one second" she comes out and while she told me to give her a minute or two. I asked for permission to go inspect the outside of the car. She said sure.

She then comes out, and we start talking, she tells me her husband has been wanting to get the paint transfer removed or repaired. I tell her great, I then bring out my phone and show her the pictures of the paint transfer removal job I did. She liked it, she then asks me how much would I charge. I tell her I could remove it for her husband for $50, but if he contacts me, since I am right next door I wouldn't mind negotiating a deal with him. So I handed her my business card and told her, more pictures of my work are on my Facebook page. She say's great, I'll let him know.

After talking with Kyle, I learned that I should have setup a follow up. Meaning at the end I should have said something like, "Great, What time is your husband going to be home. I could come by at that time and talk to him in person if that would be possible?"

That job shouldn't take me that long, and if I did get that job or something similar. After finishing up that work. I could try and see if they would like the rest of the car match the now shiny corrected spot. There were other things on the car that I saw, but I also didn't want to bombard them with a ton of up sells. I've learned it could be best to just focus one thing at a time and when they start seeing the car come back to life. After being detailed by me, then I could say, "you know, now that your paint transfer is removed and corrected, how about we match the rest of the car for you"

i.e. the headlights were yellowing, probably interior carpet stains, etc...

This was my first time going to knock on the door, but I figured, how could I ever get good at it, if I don't go out and actually do it?

I don't plan on going to every house to house and door to door in my neighborhood hoping for something. Just the ones I see the potential in.

allenk4
11-24-2014, 12:17 AM
What's your approach? Does Art have to talk for you?

Didn't mean to confuse anyone

It is Art's potential Customer

Art made the presentation

I gave Art my suggestions over the phone

cardaddy
11-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Sorry pictures are blurry, didn't want to get caught taking pictures as I walked by. Lol

Ahhh Art, ya' know what I did yesterday?

I removed paint transfer, (not that much, and not that bad) for FREE. Yes, for FREE!

I was at a customers shop doing him a (paid) favor on a rental (long story). When there a lady drove in to get an emissions test done in her 2010 black Mercedes. I had the Duetto out and noticed her car all full of swirls and we began to talk about how I could make them all go away. So it came time to do the gas cap test and the guy asked her to turn the car around so he wouldn't "scratch" it. (Like it'd made it worse than it already was or something.) :rolleyes:

So she turns it around and you could see where it had concrete transfer on the RR fender, tail light, and RR bumper. Some of it was far too deep to ever buff out, other areas were glopped up with touchup paint that her husband had done (right in front of the tail light).

So I asked her if she minded it I showed her how much better it could look right quick. Of course she said it was fine. Fast forward literally 2 minutes from start to final wipe and it was literally 85% corrected and she was smiling ear to ear. I didn't even put any extra compound on my pad, just used what I already had. She was AMAZED!

By then she was asking about the glopped up part her husband had done, and could something be done with that. (Which it can/could just needs to be taped and wet sanded.) Told her 'sure', but it'd not be perfect, just a lot better. She was SO blown away by what I'd already done she was wanting to give me $20 for 2 minutes work.

"No thanks" I said, "Just take my card, call me and I'll give you 10% off a paint correction package." She had no idea what it'd cost, (other than starting at $500) so 10% off still means I'm doing juuuuussssst fine. :D

At first she was telling the guy that "this car" was her OLD one and it really wasn't that nice. Then after we got to talking, she got to see some of my work, (in photos both before and after working on her bumper) then she saw that wheels could ACTUALLY be cleaned, and the 'real world difference' between buffed and not she realized that her old 'beater' of a 2010 Benz could indeed look brand new again. :xyxthumbs: Honestly.... it wasn't that bad. I've seen MUCH worse swirls on MUCH newer cars.:rolleyes:

She was thinking that the new one (her husband drives) would be a candidate yet by the end of the conversation now she knows they BOTH are. :dblthumb2:

Chase.Detailing
11-24-2014, 12:26 AM
I like this thread as I have just finally come to the conclusion that the type of work I need to be doing to maximize my profits, are NOT AGO type details.

But no, production work is where it's at in my location. I also have learned that just because I will lean towards doing more production work, that doesn't mean I'm no longer qualified to do concours type jobs and corrections. So that's where I am.

P.S. Art I love your approach and have tried the biz card thing before for paint transfers in various parking lots, etc.....

.....nothing's ever come of it. Time for a more direct approach!!!!

hernandez.art13
11-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Well since we practice the saying, give credit where credit is due. Kyle is the one that guided me through this.

Kyle is great at sales, so thank you Kyle.

I've also talked to Michael Stoops from Meguiar's in person a lot. When we talk about a job I did or I am planning on doing, he always asks me.

How much did you charge, and how long did it take you?

Meaning, I brought up a 1 step job that I had booked. (didn't happen cos it rained) Well here is what some of the conversation went like, with me and Michael Stoops. Car was a 2012 Grey 3 stage Lexus

Michael - "How much are you charging for the 1 step?" (AIO D151)

Me - $200

Michael - "are you going to be doing interior, wheels/ tires?"

Me - "No, just the paint only, and how long would you think that would take you Mike?"

Michael - "It would take me around 3 hours for just the paint only"

So me and Mike Stoops start calculating numbers and $200/3hrs= $66.66 dollars an hour.

So then I get the goal in my head, "Ok Art, your goal will be to do the job in 3-4 hours"

Even at 4 hours, it's still $50 an hour.

So the way I've been approaching detailing jobs, is Price at $60 an hour and have wiggle room for negotiations between $60-$50 an hour.

Plus I got the pictures to back up my work, the dully I did I priced it at $450 and negotiated down to $400. It took me 6 hours. for the paint, windows. and waterless wash the wheels and dress the tires. (1 Step)

$400/6=$66.66 an hour.

The saying goes, don't serve them a steak if they are paying for a salad. So I serve the best salad as I possibly can.

Why would I charge $800 for a 3 step and spend 40 hours on it? That would leave me with $20 an hour.

Was it production style detailing where I was doing bad work? No, definitely not, just serving the best package that the customer paid for.

(Kinda hard to explain on a keyboard on a forum, so sorry if it confuses anybody)