PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter

Pages : [1] 2 3

frankprozzoly
11-21-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm reading that Honda's oil filters aren't great. K&n and royal purple have good reviews. Any opinions or does it not really matter if your changing every 5k with synthetic

Desertnate
11-21-2014, 03:19 PM
I think a good filter always matters.

I've heard good things about Puralator, Wix, and Mobil1 filters. All seem to be priced reasonably and have more filtering material than the Fram's everyone seems to stock. I've used Puralator's on several cars with no issues.

These days, I typically go to the dealership and buy the OEM filter from the parts counter. I've found them to be about the same price as good quality aftermarket filters.

frankprozzoly
11-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Yes wix and Baldwin have good reviews. I'm reading bad reviews on oem honda filters

FUNX650
11-21-2014, 03:39 PM
I'm reading that Honda's oil filters aren't great. K&n and royal purple have good reviews. Any opinions or does it not really matter if your changing every 5k with synthetic
I say that:
If you don't want to stick with an OEM oil filter...
Make the Honda gods as angry as possible:
Go with an ACDelco Duragard!!

Bob

frankprozzoly
11-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I'll look that one up

jamesboyy
11-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Purolator or Bosch is my go to filter if I cannot find the Motorcraft one with said your vehicle most likely accepts the standard type of oil filter therefore it s really no problems with them but if you're vehicle takes a cartridge/paper type filter stick with OEM or find a similar brand/oil filter that meets OEM specs

The Guz
11-21-2014, 03:48 PM
A little old but still a good reference point.

Oil Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central (http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html)

Untitled Document (http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm)

Who would have thought a fram would lead the pack. I actually have an xtended guard on my car now.

xracer4844
11-21-2014, 03:49 PM
I always had great results with Fram tough guard filters with synthetics. I'd also follow up the change with some type of engine clean like slick, or royal purple.

Dogfather
11-21-2014, 04:05 PM
I always had great results with Fram tough guard filters with synthetics. I'd also follow up the change with some type of engine clean like slick, or royal purple.

"Fram" is an expletive over at bobistheoilguy.
Hastings.

Daven75
11-21-2014, 04:05 PM
I work at an auto parts store cause I need the money for school. I've had way to many complaints about Fram filters. All of them. I stick to puralator pureONE's or OEM. Wix is good also.

Heres a small article/research that I always like to show people.
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources (http://www.minimopar.net//oilfilters/reference.html#fram)

JHL88
11-21-2014, 04:09 PM
I think one of the best on the market right now is the Fram Ultra.

-99% dirt-trapping efficiency @ 20 microns
-Up to 15,000 miles of engine protection
-Dual-layered synthetic and cellulose filter media
-Durable metal screen
- Flanged steel end caps
- silicone anti drainback valve

Id rival this filter with Amsoils EA , RP, Mobil 1 filter any day

FUNX650
11-21-2014, 04:22 PM
I'll look that one up
In the meantime...
What kind of problems has the OEM oil filter been causing?

Bob

c8n
11-21-2014, 04:51 PM
I am of the understanding that Honda OEM filters are made by Honeywell.

Jaretr1
11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
I have a Honda, and had an Acura previously and I was using Honda OEM filters exclusively. I changed my oil every 5k miles with synthetic oil and I never had a problem with the OEM filters. I have also been using an OEM filter on my dad's TL with synthetic oil and again never had a problem. His car has nearly 70k miles on it and there are no issues or leaks.

I would think OEM filters need to meet a minimum performance level set by the manufacturers to maintain engine performance and longetivity. Honda definitely builds cars to last, so I can only imagine their oil filters live up to the requirements.

frankprozzoly
11-21-2014, 05:05 PM
In the meantime...
What kind of problems has the OEM oil filter been causing?

Bob

I'm not having any issues. I was just shopping and doing some research. The filters are being made by a new company. Someone said the name. Honeywell maybe. They were made by filtech. I watched a guy cut them open to review them. He seemed to think the quality wasn't as good. I ended up buying a wix filter. Supposed to be a good brand