PDA

View Full Version : Question on paint problem

10GT
11-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Hi.

Joined the forum to see if I can get answers to a slight paint issue I have. I recently purchased a black 2010 Mustang GT. The paint is a little questionable in areas, but overall is in good condition, and I do my best to keep it that way. Although I didn't know it when I bought it, I have come to realize that it has been repainted at some point, or at least certain panels have. But there is one area that really bothers me. I'm not sure if it's a clear coat problem (I'm thinking that a 2010 shouldn't be having clear coat issues this soon) or just bad paint work, and want to get some opinions before I take it somewhere. Helps to be a little educated since I know most body shops will just want to repaint the entire panel, even if not necessary.

I managed to get a couple of really good pics even though the spot is only really visible at certain angles in direct sunlight. It's the weird looking white area, and I've tried everything from polishing, claying, and even slight wetsanding (couple minutes with 3000 grit, scared to do anymore) with no change. The area is very smooth so whatever it is well under the surface. Thanks for any input you can provide.

http://s30.postimg.org/mcil0cbyp/IMAG0098.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/t2wkyyy2n/IMAG0099.jpg

Mike Phillips
11-21-2014, 12:21 PM
The affected area looks like a "pattern" indicating something was resting on the paint that had an ill affect to the paint.

If this section of paint is in fact a re-painted area from a body shop then the cause could be any variety of human induced error.

Here's the big picture....

We, that's you and I, can only affect the top surface of the paint. If this defect is topical, that is only affecting the top surface of the clearcoat layer of paint, then it's possible that with the right approach the defective portions of the paint can be fixed.

The "fix" would be compounding and polishing and perhaps in an extreme case, wetsanding followed by compounding and polishing.

Because the clear layer of paint is thin, one would only want to approach repairing this with some experience in a best case scenario but whoever attempts to fix it with or without experience you're going to need to use top quality products, that is name brand compounds and polishes. If wetsanding is required then I would only use and recommend Nikken Finishing papers by hand or 3M Trizact/Meguiar's Unigrit sanding discs by machine.

If you've never done anything like this then I would suggest starting a new thread with a title like this,

Pro Detailer wanted in City, State

Then in the message section of your post share the above pictures and then at a minimum let a seasoned pro take a look.

Also,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome: