PDA

View Full Version : Tire Cleaner/Protectant Question

AustrianOak82
11-20-2014, 09:55 PM
For years, I used Son of a Gun tire foam religiously. I have since switched over to Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Foam. I love it to clean the tires and shine but not too out of control on the shine. My winter rims are Plastidipped so I just spray the entire rim and tire and then wipe the rim down about 15 minutes after.

While I love how well it cleans and shines the tires, it doesn't last long as far as protection. I am in the market for a tire protectant that is long-lasting but I also need to clean the tires prior to the protectant (in addition to washing). I have been burning through a can of tire foam every week on my personal cars in addition to my business and am looking for another option to clean, then protect for more than a few days.

I figure I would need to clean the tire and then protect. Any recommendations on products and procedures? Thanks!

dcjredline
11-20-2014, 10:04 PM
Meguiars Tire and Trim gel.

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online

AustrianOak82
11-20-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm always partial to Meguiar's but that really doesn't answer my question. I was looking at the Blackfire tire sealant but would I need to foam beforehand? Would it stick afterwards?

dcjredline
11-20-2014, 10:24 PM
It answered half of your question didn't it? Meguiars non acid wheel and tire cleaner, scrub with stiff bristle brush, then dry, then apply T&T gel with foam applicator. There's your product and procedure. Otherwise I may have missed what u were asking

AustrianOak82
11-20-2014, 10:29 PM
It answered half of your question didn't it? Meguiars non acid wheel and tire cleaner, scrub with stiff bristle brush, then dry, then apply T&T gel with foam applicator. There's your product and procedure. Otherwise I may have missed what u were asking

I've always cleaned the tires well but no matter how well, I always have that brown color leftover on the tires so I have always foamed them to remove it.

dcjredline
11-20-2014, 10:43 PM
The foam may only be covering it and worse yet the culprit of the brown. Its the chemicals in those products that causes the brown in the first place. Once you go to a water based product and a good cleaner you will see. You'll have to scrub, reapply, scrub multiple times probably for a few applications but it will eventually get better

jamesboyy
11-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Not to be a wise or smarty pants here, though one should know that Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Foam is more than likely a solvent based dressing meaning its resistant to most chemicals, even water, and even though you clean the tires there will be a light layer of this stuff still absorbing dirt within the dressing(one cause for brown tires), hence only true way to even attempt getting this dressing 100 percent off is by using a IPA wipe or Carpro eraser but my whole point here is try a tire coating one from DP, Meguiars, tuf shine even blackfire, or replenish your tires vitamins etc with a water based dressing like carpro pearl which last up to as long as two months even though its gloss disappear, and leaves a satin black tire that beads like crazy

expdetailing
11-20-2014, 11:08 PM
[QUOTE=jamesboyy;118993) IPA wipe or Carpro eraser [/QUOTE]
I hihgly encourage you to reads Carpr Eraser's MSDS to see what's in it. I did, and I wont switch from my IPA. Just some food for thought.

swanicyouth
11-20-2014, 11:17 PM
replenish your tires vitamins etc with a water based dressing

Love this.

jamesboyy
11-20-2014, 11:37 PM
I hihgly encourage you to reads Carpr Eraser's MSDS to see what's in it. I did, and I wont switch from my IPA. Just some food for thought.

I have read the MSDS of both products just now, and if your speaking on the terms of Carpro eraser is basically a bottle of colorful water then yes I understand your viewpoint

P.S great pointout

Zubair
11-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-bond-tire-gel-32oz.html)

spence
11-21-2014, 04:10 PM
I recently purchased car pro pearl. It is water based, easier and a lot less messy to apply than Megs Endurance Gel. Pearl lasted 3 weeks through 3 small rain showers before it needed to be re-applid. I applied it undiluted. A little bit goes a long ways.

4AudiQ
11-21-2014, 04:19 PM
I have been using Tuff Shine with good results.
I am in the rainy PNW, so the shine does not last as long as when we lived in So. California.
TUF SHINE Automotive Tire Shine Detailing Products (http://tufshine.com/)