PDA

View Full Version : New car paint problems

taters
11-20-2014, 10:49 AM
i was checking out new Honda accords. I googled accord problems and came up with tons of problems with paint peeling problems etc. did the same with Hyundai Sonata. Same thing but not as bad. Will I find this with all cars? Should it be a deal breaker?

frankprozzoly
11-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Do you mean on brand new cars? I have a 14 accord and I've learned from this site that honda paint is soft. That's why you see a lot of peeled roofs. Your not gonna have an issue with that if you take care of it the way these forum members take care of their cars

jamesboyy
11-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Every vehicle is prone to clear coat failure some sooner than others, and this based upon the paint system/proceedure, your environment and or the way you take care of the vehicle in general, now yes those two vehicle brands does have very soft thin paint,Though if the paint problems are consistent throughout the reviews the take it into consideration but IME I haven't seen the latest version of either brand have such paint problems.....good luck on your choice

octane
11-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Honda/Acura has had problem with their clear coats in the last couple of year, but that was mostly on blacks that were not cared for... so if I was you, I would just avoid a black accord.

oldmodman
11-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Can you park the car inside a closed garage?

If you can the paint will last well over 15 years. Even if you only give it a nice coat of wax or protectant every few months.

But if the car is parked outdoor in the weather and sun peeling could start in just five or six years. Even if waxed regularly.

When I had to start parking my 1992 Ford Explorer outside in the sun and weather the absolutely perfect, well protected paint started to show clearcoat failure in just two years. And now just five years in the sun and the paint is totally shot.

frankprozzoly
11-20-2014, 06:01 PM
I had no idea that would happen. I thought that was the whole point of taking care of our cars. Well that's just crappy info. Maybe I should be coating the car. Could the clear fail using coatings too

frankprozzoly
11-20-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm not saying your wrong. I just meant that stinks if that can happen. Almost makes you say what's the point other than a clean look

swanicyouth
11-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Deal breaker for me. Look into Nissan. Their paint is pretty solid if you want an Asian car. Other than that, don't forget to add Subaru and Toyota to the list of Japanese cars whose paint isn't great.

I wouldn't buy it because I keep my cars for a LONG time. But, if your like most people who just trade it in after a few years - who cares? By the time there is issues it will be someone else's problem.

Hazcat
11-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Put it in your contract when you purchase your car if you want one that you suspect early failure. If they won't back it from the start then you certainly don't want to purchase their vehicle. You can log the care you give the paint.

frankprozzoly
11-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Nobody answered why protecting your car doesn't prevent this

MarkD51
11-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Nobody answered why protecting your car doesn't prevent this

It very well should IMO. Particularly if one had the knowledge, realized the current availability of what products are now out there to protect, and then initiate a plan to stop such degradation of a finish, regardless of what plant it was applied it.

But that's a big "if", especially as I notice on a daily basis here, and see it everywhere I turn.

Vehicles, and it pretty much doesn't matter the make, 3-5 years old with CC failure, finishes looking like a blowtorch was taken to them, and headlights that look like you took a sandblaster to them

Hate to be harsh, but probably correct that many average vehicle owners, especially here in the desert are cheap, ignorant, and lazy.

I do usually note a difference with more expensive vehicles, Beemers, Mercedes, Vettes, and the like, people who have spent mucho dollars seem to care more it seems on average.

But, truthfully, even a Ford Focus is Boo Coo dollars today, more money than many of us spent not so many years ago on classic-exotics.

Many ranchers here, I can understand a work vehicle like a Pickup getting beat to hell, and the only concerns are if it runs, and goes from point A to point B without a breakdown. Otherwise, the paint doesn't make the truck go down the road.

That, and that they figure that they're running down horrid dirt-gravel roads, filthy within a day anyway, so what's the use? Other priorities prevail. Perhaps such an investment bears little importance of value?

Run it into the ground is sometimes the mindset.

swanicyouth
11-20-2014, 08:02 PM
UV is the killer. Parking the car in a garage or under shelter really will help. Of course, if your a working stiff - your car is probably sitting outside 5 days a week at work all day during the worse UV times of the day.

MarkD51
11-20-2014, 08:13 PM
UV is the killer. Parking the car in a garage or under shelter really will help. Of course, if your a working stiff - your car is probably sitting outside 5 days a week at work all day during the worse UV times of the day.

Breaking Bad - Walt / Heisenberg "Say My Name" [HD/720p] - YouTube

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head, and as "Heisenberg" would say "You're goddamn right"!

I've tried what are IMO the lesser "Beauty" coatings like DP and Pinnacle BL. Tested them on a Cargo Trailer Fender which sees all day sun 24/7, and you know what? Gone, both within 2 months time, the Fender looked like ass shortly after. And yes, full decon, polish, Eraser, wouldn't have mattered if I used 91% IPA to strip (which I did one time) They did not hold up.

So, with that said, is new school always better than old school?
I reckon not.

Velocitybts
11-20-2014, 08:24 PM
I know two people who have had their cars close to 2 years and have never washed it themselves. BUT.... only taken through a car wash 2-3 times the whole time. They don't care at all, it gets them from A to B and when they trade it they run through a Auto Bell and sell it. Thats how a lot of people are these days. The idea of a sealant or waxing is beyond comprehension. SO of course there are issues with peeling and cc failure.

I highly doubt there are any well taken care of cars out there that have this issue. If a car is well protected, then sitting in the sun doesn't make a huge difference. I have had numerous nice cars with no garage in the carolinas. I kept them up and took care of them and 5-8 years later they looked just as good as when it was 3 years old. With the current coatings out there now, they can be even better taken care of.

Getting in writing from a dealer to take care of paint issues down the road is not likely to happen. They would not open themselves to that liability. However the warranty should cover that at least for the 3-4-5 years coverage. Take care of it and it should be fine. Get the car you want and will enjoy.