PDA

View Full Version : OCP vs 4 layers of Gloss-Coat

Pages : [1] 2

GanenR32
11-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Kinda got to wondering. One properly administered layer of Gloss-Coat is good for 2 years. 5cc can cover one car when used with the right applicator. AGO has 20cc for $99. You with me so far?
At 2 years per coat, if you used the full bottle and laid down 4 coats, I wouldn't expect a full 8 years out of it..... But, could it last 5 years???
If so would this be functionally identical to OCP?

aim4squirrels
11-20-2014, 10:49 AM
If the chemicals in gloss coat break down in 2 years, you'll get 2 years out of it, regardless of thickness.

If the breakdown is due to environmental concerns, it could vary greatly enough that there is no good way to guesstimate.

Let us know in 5 years how it turns out. As an OCD-touched enthusiast, nothing would likely ever stay on my car that long.

I've got 10 months on the PBL surface coating and although the protection still exists, I can't wait until I have time off in January to polish out the light DD blemishes.

cleanmycorolla
11-20-2014, 12:17 PM
I've used Gloss Coat, 5cc isn't getting you an entire car covered.

Also, thats a lot of waste, of work, product and time. One layer would be sufficient.

chet31
11-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Kinda got to wondering. One properly administered layer of Gloss-Coat is good for 2 years. 5cc can cover one car when used with the right applicator. AGO has 20cc for $99. You with me so far?
At 2 years per coat, if you used the full bottle and laid down 4 coats, I wouldn't expect a full 8 years out of it..... But, could it last 5 years???
If so would this be functionally identical to OCP?

I don't think we need a coating that lasts 5 years - except maybe on hard to reach places. The OC 2.0 on my hood, for example, is 6 months old, and if it was regular sealant, I would have already hit it with a fine polish. Just like clear coat, the OC 2.0 gets bird bombed, sapped, swirled and generally hazes up over time. I don't see myself as allowing the coating to remain unpolished for 2 years, much less 5 years.

FUNX650
11-21-2014, 01:18 AM
Seems like a good initiative on your part. :xyxthumbs:

So you're saying that:
Gloss Coat can effectively be layered upon itself?

OK...
Let's say that if that were to be actually true
(and you want to apply 4 layers):
-Within what specific time period(s)...starting from the beginning of the first application...do you plan on applying the next 3 successive layers?
-Would/Does product curing-times play any role in the layering of Gloss Coat?

Bob

builthatch
11-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Gloss Coat can effectively be layered upon itself?

that's the manufacturer claim, yes.

FUNX650
11-29-2014, 01:36 PM
that's the manufacturer claim, yes.
Did the manufacturer say that in the same breath,
from which the word "permanent" also escaped? :eek:

Bob

builthatch
11-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Did the manufacturer say that in the same breath,
from which the word "permanent" also escaped? :eek:

Bob

if that is a shot at Ghodoussi, i disagree with your opinion. Dr. G is a stand up guy in my measurement, i know that much. he's a multi-degree polymer chemist who has created a business. in my discussions with him, he mainly speaks coating industry (like....paint, etc.) and chemistry. so that means tests, lab work, etc.

he's not a businessman that became a chemist. he's not a master marketer, obviously. if people who create chemicals came at us with their tech-speak and no dumbing down or marketing relating, we'd all have to become chemists to discern what the hell things do.

if you don't believe him, you either have to test it or go on wondering if he's telling the truth or not. dunno what else to say, fam.

FUNX650
11-29-2014, 02:27 PM
if that is a shot at Ghodoussi, i disagree with your opinion. Dr. G is a stand up guy in my measurement, i know that much. he's a multi-degree polymer chemist who has created a business. in my discussions with him, he mainly speaks coating industry (like....paint, etc.) and chemistry. so that means tests, lab work, etc.

he's not a businessman that became a chemist. he's not a master marketer, obviously. if people who create chemicals came at us with their tech-speak and no dumbing down or marketing relating, we'd all have to become chemists to discern what the hell things do.

if you don't believe him, you either have to test it or go on wondering if he's telling the truth or not. dunno what else to say, fam.
Who was it that FIRST said that Optimum Coatings were permanent?

Bob

allenk4
11-29-2014, 02:52 PM
I have never actually seen any scientific "testing" of any of the coating made available to the public

If a product claims 5 years of durability in real world conditions, how could it be developed in less than 5 years. I know they have a accelerated testing systems, but how do they teach the Birds when and where to poop on the panel? How do they simulate hot brake dust and other fallout?

Reputable companies like Meguiar's are careful in their marketing of products, like the new Paint Protect (365) to put any qualifications of the claim on the front label of the product, instead of burried in a warranty document. "Based on 52 consecutive hand washes with ph neutral car wash soap"

Back to the OP's question:

Dr. G at OPT has indicated to me that the immeasurably thin layer created with a few drops per panel has the same characteristics as a 1-2 micron layer and therefore additional thickness is not necessary

Dr. G did not address resistance to abrasion/scratching in his reply

I have not seen any scratch resistance data from OPT yet, so maybe the 5 layers would be helpful in that regard, but I have not seen that data

GanenR32
11-29-2014, 06:59 PM
People claim that layering absolutely increases longevity. How many threads are there on layering KSG x 6, 2 layers of 476s for the winter, souverin layered with a sealant or stronger wax on top, etc, etc.....

Why would a coating not benefit from layering when everything else does?

RMM
11-29-2014, 07:15 PM
People claim that layering absolutely increases longevity. How many threads are there on layering KSG x 6, 2 layers of 476s for the winter, souverin layered with a sealant or stronger wax on top, etc, etc.....

Why would a coating not benefit from layering when everything else does?

People's claims and reality are two very different sets (sometimes they don't even intersect...):

Thickness of wax layers? - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=127943&highlight=layer+test+micron)
Wax and Sealant thicknesses - Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=130901&highlight=thickness)

Crispy
02-28-2015, 04:53 PM
OK common sense prevails. 2 coats of clear coat are thicker than 1 coat. So 2 coats will be twice as thick. The product will bond to itself so no worries. I myself put on one coat and complete detail 2 times a year so 2 years is not an issue.

aim4squirrels
02-28-2015, 05:04 PM
OK common sense prevails. 2 coats of clear coat are thicker than 1 coat. So 2 coats will be twice as thick. The product will bond to itself so no worries. I myself put on one coat and complete detail 2 times a year so 2 years is not an issue.

I believe the original question was: would four coats increase longevity?

So, does a double thick layer of clear coat paint last twice as long in the elements as a single layer, or would both start cracking and peeling around the same time?

af90
02-28-2015, 05:24 PM
I believe the original question was: would four coats increase longevity?

So, does a double thick layer of clear coat paint last twice as long in the elements as a single layer, or would both start cracking and peeling around the same time?

There's a bit of an interesting paper by Kevin Brown I believe on the diminishing returns of multiple layers of LSP's. But so many factors come into play such as how the products bonds or lasts on the paint, do the differing layers counteract each other or build off of each other.