PDA

View Full Version : Bug Removal Question

AustrianOak82
11-20-2014, 07:10 AM
I have had a few cars that had some serious bug issues. On these cars, I did a pre-soak with CG Citrus AP (Diluted 10:1) for about 3-4 minutes and then a hand-wash. After it was rinsed and dried, the majority of the bugs were still there but mostly just the leftovers or whatever you want to call it. I scrubbed the front cover with soaked dryer sheets and rinsed. I then coated the entire front cover in detailing spray and clayed twice since there was still remains on there. I was left with pretty much the same issue, the leftover reminents. That leads to my question...Are there times where they just can't be removed and have actually sort of become the paint? I can't think of any other way to remove them and it looked like they were literally imbedded in the clear coat but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion. Thanks!

Don M
11-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Are you sure what you're seeing is still bug carcasses and not actual paint damage/chips or nicks?

AustrianOak82
11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Are you sure what you're seeing is still bug carcasses and not actual paint damage/chips or nicks?

Yeah, it's rough to the touch and is visibly bug grime.

Kurtopia
11-20-2014, 02:19 PM
I've had success with these two products -
Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad can be used on glass, chrome, vinyl, fiberglass, paint and clearcoats—100% safe when used with soapy water. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html)
1Z Einszett Anti-Insekt Bug + Tar Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-bug-remover.html)

Spray, let dwell for a bit, scrub. No scratching.

conman1395
11-20-2014, 02:34 PM
The best way to clean bugs is to clean them fast. What I mean is, if you can use a waterless wash right after you get home then that is the easiest method. The longer you wait and let it eat/etch the clear coat, the more damage and harder it will be to remove. Obviously having a good sealant helps, but for some reason I find that something with a bit of carnuba helps on the front when dealing with bug removal. Collinite 845 comes to mind.

AustrianOak82
11-20-2014, 05:11 PM
The best way to clean bugs is to clean them fast. What I mean is, if you can use a waterless wash right after you get home then that is the easiest method. The longer you wait and let it eat/etch the clear coat, the more damage and harder it will be to remove. Obviously having a good sealant helps, but for some reason I find that something with a bit of carnuba helps on the front when dealing with bug removal. Collinite 845 comes to mind.
Sorry, not my car but cars that I detail. Man, never on my car!

rbss
11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
I have had a few cars that had some serious bug issues. On these cars, I did a pre-soak with CG Citrus AP (Diluted 10:1) for about 3-4 minutes and then a hand-wash. After it was rinsed and dried, the majority of the bugs were still there but mostly just the leftovers or whatever you want to call it. I scrubbed the front cover with soaked dryer sheets and rinsed. I then coated the entire front cover in detailing spray and clayed twice since there was still remains on there. I was left with pretty much the same issue, the leftover reminents. That leads to my question...Are there times where they just can't be removed and have actually sort of become the paint? I can't think of any other way to remove them and it looked like they were literally imbedded in the clear coat but I wanted to get a 2nd opinion. Thanks!

The bugs have etched into the paint. Hit it with some Stoner bug & tar remover. After you wipe it clean compound/polish the area. This should remove most of the defects although some may be to severe to completely remove:dblthumb2: