PDA

View Full Version : New car

taters
11-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi, glad I found this site I never had a clue as how to take care of my car.wow so much info.when my lease is up i plan to buy a new car. Couple of questions.
If I get a new car is clay barring a new car and then putting on a ago product enough? Or do I have to polish it and put a sealent on it then a wax? Ty in advance... love this site
taters

Setec Astronomy
11-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Usually new cars have some contamination on them from transportation and/or sitting on the dealer lot. So some decontamination is usually in order.

As far as polishing, you may be fine, but if the dealer has washed the car, you are likely to have the DISO (Dealer-Installed Swirl Option). Your decontamination step may also cause some marring. It is of course your option whether to polish.

As far as sealant, wax, or sealant and wax...that is all user preference. If you live in a temperate climate, you might just want to use one of the excellent spray waxes that are available and apply it after your weekly wash.

If you live where there is winter, your LSP ("Last Step Process", usually a protectant) choice may need to be made a little more carefully. There are some waxes with great longevity, as well as some sealants, and of course all the new coatings.

MarkD51
11-19-2014, 06:35 PM
First off, welcome to the forum!

You don't have to treat your new car like it's a George Barris Custom, or a Boyd's job where 15 bozos are scattering, and can't find their Dupas with both hands to finish a customer's car.

I never, and this is the God's truth, never applied polishes on my '97 Tahoe for 15-1/2-16 years!

Why?

Why, is cause it didn't need it. I didn't need to buff or polish off valuable paint, I knew when to periodically maintain the finish with quality protectants, washed carefully, treated trim, vacuumed, and id whatever other services I felt necessary at the time.

And my truck never, and I repeat never failed to impress for its age, never! At 17 years, my truck craps on 2015 Tahoes leaving the dealership.

Filters, Oil Changes, tire rotation, etc etc.

Clay, yeah, that's good, do that, then apply a good quality protectant.
Collinite #845-#476, treat trim, rubber.

Floor mats, protect carpeting, put some glass repellant on all glass, check fluids, you're golden!

MarkD51
11-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Ahh, didn't catch that at first, if it's a "lease-mobile". What I've always called "you rented an expensive taxi-cab". You don't own it, maybe never will.

Don't blow your brains out on car care. I know many like keeping a vehicle clean, looking good wherever you go, but for sure, don't dump your money on uber expensive products.

Buy the cheapest wally world garbage you can get your hands on, period.
Don't smash it, monkey it up, and when you hand over the keys, they just might hand you back your security deposit.

They will look, but aren't expecting a car that looks like it never left the garage during the entire lease agreement.

"Buying" a vehicle, that's different.

MarkD51
11-20-2014, 07:19 AM
Many of us here in USA are now going into winter, which means colder, and inclement weather, even for many of us who live in the southern parts of the country.

Which may prove difficult for you to get much protection and detailing in as winter approaches unless you have a heated garage.

At least for the time being, do get the best protection on the car to stave off damages from the elements. Usually the worst at damaging a vehicle is salts.

Moldavite
11-20-2014, 08:34 AM
it's Great to protect from the beginning :)
you may purchase and use anything that AG carry :D

btw...welcome to AG!!!