PDA

View Full Version : Help me talk a friend out of selling cars

Pages : [1] 2 3

ConeArrow27
11-19-2014, 05:15 AM
Hey guys one of my friends works retail and hates the low pay and saw an ad on indeed for a sales spot at the toyota place. So hes applied and thinking about taking it.

All ive ever heard about car sells is bad. Has anyone here had experience with that? Im trying to talk him out of it but i dont have facts. Unless ive heard wrong and its a good job lol.

Personally i think detailing is a better field then sales or mechanic (gas or diesel) lol

Moldavite
11-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Let him decide and advise later if he ever discuss with you again :)

jrs1418
11-19-2014, 05:45 AM
there is money to be made selling cars, trade off is long hours and lots of rejection. it takes a certain type of person to be successful.

ConeArrow27
11-19-2014, 05:51 AM
there is money to be made selling cars, trade off is long hours and lots of rejection. it takes a certain type of person to be successful.

The long hours part seems normal anymore anywhere. Seems like if u get paid good your hours suck. But if your hours are good your pay sucks lol

Max Luster Auto
11-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Alot of people are very successful at selling cars. Why exactly don't you want him to do this? Sounds like you're trying to discourage him from something he enjoys, for no reason. Is there a reason that what he does for a living affects you so much?

SYMAWD
11-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Why? A good salesman can make $80-100k+ a year. However, to be that good, you need to give out your cellphone number, answer emails on Sunday or late at night and be very persistent making many follow up calls. You can have a bad week, sell no cars and make no money other than the minimum the dealer has to pay you by law. It's a tough job that requires a lot of time, patience, and rejection, but there's no reason to discourage someone from trying it.

GenesisCoupe
11-19-2014, 10:54 AM
I sold cars at Nissan for a bit.

54 hours a week mandatory, and there were days where I didn't sell anything for 3-4 days..Imagine yourself walking out of your job after 9 hours and you didn't make a penny. No Thank You for me.

RTexasF
11-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Im trying to talk him out of it but i don't have facts.

Since you have no facts you should mind your own business and let your friend experience that kind of work IF he even gets hired.
I sold poweboats for a couple of decades and made a very good living. Selling cars (done that too) is cake compared to selling big expensive toys that few actually need.

GenesisCoupe
11-19-2014, 11:13 AM
^^ Yes you can make money selling cars, especially if you work at a dealer that sells both new/used and more than one brand i.e. Toyota/Subaru

What i hated about selling cars was not actually selling one for 3-4 days, and the 5th day i sell one car and make $150 from it since it was a car worth 15k

07gtcs
11-19-2014, 11:33 AM
New car sales suck, no money to made selling new. All the $$ is in selling used cars. I sold them a few years back. I sold a new one and made $25 after 6 hours of negotiating. Then turned around and sold a used truck to my sisters BF and made 2K in about 10 minutes time.

FUNX650
11-19-2014, 11:37 AM
there is money to be made selling cars
I gotta agree with what this jr said.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image688.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87291)

Bob "Jr."

ConeArrow27
11-20-2014, 05:49 AM
I just do want him screwing up like i have. But im just gonna mind my biz and detail

Billy Baldone
11-21-2014, 06:51 PM
What kind of retail does he work?

Real Riders
11-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Car sales are not for everyone. I worked at a Chrysler Dealer for 20 yrs detailing and selling cars. There was huge turnover in car sales while the same two new car prep detail guys were there most of those years. Statistics say that only 1 out 8 people who sell cars can make it in the business. Not everyone can sell cars. The detail guys were making more money than most of the new car salesman and working less hours

Rommel
11-21-2014, 08:58 PM
In 2012 after the aftermarket car stereo shop I worked at for 15years closed due to divorce, I went to work for a local Ford dealership briefly. I was there for 2.5 months before going back to retail at another car stereo shop. I had one good week taking home about $1500 but left negative in the draw. Like others have said you can make good money, saw a couple guys making $5K -$12K in a month, but you have to be in it for the long haul too make it.

btw: I know a local guy who sells for Lujack AutoPlaza in Davenport, IA who makes 7 figures a year selling cars! He sells anywhere from 60-90 cars a month himself, its insane. He does work his ass off 6 days a week, first one there in the morning and last one to leave at night.