View Full Version : Edge Wool 8 inch vs 6 inch

Pages : [1] 2

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Which sizing should I get?

What are the pros and cons?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-16-2007, 02:39 AM
I use an 8 inch pad, not Edges-not impressed. I have not used a 6 inch wool pad. Since I have used a rotory for years I am used to the 8 inch. I use 6 inch foam pads for better control since the sides can do damage quickly. I can usually lsp with a wool pad, when I cant I will go with the foam to finish.

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 02:45 AM
What dont you like about the Edge pads? Which brand do you use?

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-16-2007, 02:56 AM
The way they correct finish and also I do not think you need to keep changing different types of wool pads to correct finish. Wool is to correct and when master them you can lsp. I use 3m superbuff pads for at least 20 years. I have also tried other brands but i feel 3m works best for me. Just ask Dan/D&D detail about wool can do, just helped him out on a silver Audi last night. Also with all the problems with Edges adaptor why chance it. The 3m has a screw on adapter and they also have double sided pads. I also feel the wool is much better quality.

Sevenrd
08-16-2007, 04:32 AM
I used the edge system with the rotary for a while but went back to velcro. I don't have any one particular reason for going back other than personal preference. Plus I already had a ton of perfectly good 6 1/2" velcro backed pads for the PC that I wanted to use with the rotary. I just find the velcro backed system more convenient and likely more reliable in the long run.

I've been using a 4 3/4" backing plate with the rotary and using 6 1/2" LC foam and foamed wool pads with really good results. I tried the 8 1/2" edge pads when I was using that system but felt I had more control with a smaller pad diameter.

ASPHALT ROCKET
08-16-2007, 05:07 AM
I would like to try their wool/foam pad.

Al-53
08-16-2007, 06:10 AM
I was using 3M wool pads for a while....they got beat after a few years of doing boats..they are nice pads...When I went to replace them at the body/paint supply ..they had the edge on sale..so I grabbed a few blue and a green wools...they are 8" ...I also ordered a few of the LC foamed wool pads from AG....

Now....I still had one 3M cut wool left that was good...I did a 2005 Doge ram truck that was branch scratched to hell from 4 wheeling...I cut the paint with the 3M pad and menz 3.02...and finished with the edge pad green with P0106ff..and I liked the edge pad for its ability to finish out real nice..I do not think the adapter for a rotary will be as problematic as it is on a PC...since you have no vibrations...

I did a Honda with the LC foamed wool and a edge blue wool and I really like the foamed wool pad..very versatile ..it seems like you can cut with it and also finish with it...the blue edge pad has a nice finish ability also...

I was going to order 6" wools in the edge pads..but I got use to the 8's ..makes doing big panels faster...but when I get to tight areas..I slap the LC foam on ...whish is a 6" wool....

If I was just starting out with wool..I would go the LC foamed wool pad...get a couple..cause to can cut with it and also finish with it...depending of the polish you use....

the one pad I do want after hearing so much about is the Edge white lambswool super finishing pad....it has no cut but brings the finish to another level of gloss....its like silk I heard...

wool is much faster than foam by far in correcting and finishing...but you do have to be careful...it will cut paint fast..right to the primer if you do not pay attention...I use wool more now for corrections then I do foam...faster and smoother paint surface....gives the paint a real nice look...

PS...I still use a LC CCS blue foam pad at the end with PO85RD to jewel to paint if needed..this is where I want to see if the Edge super finish wool will come into play and leave no wool marks in the finish...

Al

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 01:24 PM
hmm.... So should I go with 8 or 6 inch?

Rey05
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
If your getting the LC then I would get the 6" ones...then later you can get the 8" if needed.

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Im getting the Edge

Rey05
08-16-2007, 08:05 PM
If I were to do it over again, I probably would have went with the 6" pads. I'm sure I still will eventually, even though the 8" pads are serving me well at the moment.

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 08:41 PM
AG PLEASE STOCK the 6inchers!!!!

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 08:41 PM
Im going to have to call Jason or Dwayne and place a special order, I wonder how that would affect my 15% off?

Rey05
08-16-2007, 08:55 PM
See, that's why I ended up with the 8" pads. Good luck though bro!

FMINUS
08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Im online looking at other makers of wool pads and they all seem like they are 8 inches... I wonder if there is a reason.