PDA

View Full Version : So many tire dressings!

Pages : [1] 2

SMCN101
11-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Hi guys, trying to find a good tire dressing for my new slowly growing collection of detailing products. In an ideal world I would be looking for something that is very durable, produces no sling and has a wet glossy look. I have Continental 225/40 R18 tyres on my car at the moment so think a really shiney wet look would be good on them.

At the moment I have been thinking Carpro PERL from what I have gathered in other threads but if anyone has an suggestion they would like to share that would be great. Never dressed a tyre before in my life but I can see the importance of it in completing a look. Thanks

Chase.Detailing
11-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Yes, PERL I have heard great things about. As well as Opti-Bond dressing.

I personally ONLY use tire coatings on my tires now, and my clients seem to love them.

The Turtle Wax Coating (liquid, kit) is great but tires must be 'surgically clean' before applying coatings

PBMG just came out with the DP Tire Coating. I have some being sent to me from Nick right now, so can't speak on how it is, but again, have heard great things ;)

Goin Rogue
11-18-2014, 05:47 PM
I use PERL on my new car. I use it full strength and it looks great, doesn't sling, dries fast, lasts a long time, and a little goes a long ways. Plus it can be diluted and used other places.

I use Armor All Xtreme Tire gel on my wife's DD. It lasts weeks, but I let it cure/dry about 12 hours (my preference) before driving and I haven't had it sling yet. It is cheap and comes with a sponge applicator.

The Guz
11-18-2014, 06:18 PM
I would seriously consider one of the tire coatings since you are looking for durability. Detailers Pro just came out with a new one. There is a good thread on the Turtle Wax tire coating.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/78659-coated-my-tires-today-wow.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/86649-how-clean-coat-your-tires-dp-tire-coating.html

SMCN101
11-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah seen DP Coating being mentioned quite a bit recently on here, seen a thread with a review on it and the pics posted looked great! How do tire coatings fare in comparison with the usual water based and the likes?

Good to hear your enjoying PERL rogue. All the pro's you mentioned are what out it at the top of my shopping list it has an impressive amount of feedback. Seen a really detailed review on here which convinced me, the results were great. Still you always think there's something better out there your missing, or is that just me lol.

Chase.Detailing
11-18-2014, 06:54 PM
1-2 mos. protection.

SMCN101
11-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Does anybody know any UK sites that sell DP Tire coating?? Can't seem to find DP stuff at all on any UK sites or even eBay. Not entirely decided on what to go for yet but the added durability is a big plus. I wouldn't mind reapplying a tire dressing every couple of weeks at all it's just the thought of properly cleaning every time before applications that seems like a daunting task

blown03
11-19-2014, 06:27 AM
I say PERL too , its awesome , no sling even if you apply too much

Moldavite
11-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Tire coating is the way to go :)
Perl at full strength is awesome too:

frankprozzoly
11-19-2014, 08:06 AM
When I first got into detailing last year I bought chemical guys oil based gel dressing. It looks nice but its messy and only lasts a week.. or till the first rain. They say it lasts months. So I bought tw. Put it on my snow tires . Looks good. It can be a little streaky like your applying a paint and doesn't quite go on even. But im nit picking. You really have to look at it. I'm anxious to try perl and the one that comes with a little paint roller. Forget the name

Moldavite
11-19-2014, 08:16 AM
the one that comes with a little paint roller. Forget the name

Black Pearl ;)

SMCN101
11-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Ended up just going for PERL, it was at the forefront of my list before I opened this thread anyways and I can't seem to find DP Tire Coat on any UK sites at all.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes, only thing I now have to decide is how many coats? Seen really impressive results at three coats.

VISITOR
11-19-2014, 04:48 PM
can't go wrong with PERL, it can be diluted to suit different needs and it's more durable then most water based dressings out...

SMCN101
11-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah seemed like a safe bet, I think first application will be undiluted to assess how it will turn out. How often do you gus re-dress your tires? and does it involve and complete scrub clean every time or could u just hit them with the pressure washer, allow to dry then coat them again?

VISITOR
11-20-2014, 03:03 AM
Yeah seemed like a safe bet, I think first application will be undiluted to assess how it will turn out. How often do you gus re-dress your tires? and does it involve and complete scrub clean every time or could u just hit them with the pressure washer, allow to dry then coat them again?

to me 3:1 works well and since i re-dress my tires (dress the wells too) after every wash (use a mothers tire brush and apc), there's no reason to use up more product. try and see what works out for you...