PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Paint

Ajawaninja
11-18-2014, 02:09 AM
Hey guys, just looking for some tips and advice on how to deal with sticky paint. I was compounding and polishing a Holden commodore last weekend and after every 2nd pass or earlier the polish was gumming up on the pad and could not stop it! tried spraying the pad with detailing spray and water but had very little to no effect. any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks. :)

lawrenceSA
11-18-2014, 03:00 AM
The only sticky paint I have encountered has been on a few Subarus I have detailed.

Heat is not going to be your friend, so using a non-forced rotation DA will probably mitigate the stickiness issue to some degree over using say a rotary.

Fortunately the Subaru's I did had very soft paint, so correction was achievable using nothing more than Menzerna SF4000 and a LC Crimson pad....

You may also get some benefit in using something like Chemical Guys Blacklight as the last polishing step - it contains very fine abrasives but wipes off ridiculously easily....

What polish and machine were you using....

Evan.J
11-18-2014, 08:23 AM
What kind of car are you working on?

What tool, pad, and products are you using?

Ajawaninja
11-18-2014, 08:28 PM
hey thanks for your replys! sorry i should have mentioned that first. i was using a flex 3401 with the cyan and tangerine lake country hydrotech pads. using menzerna fg500 on cyan and sf4500 on tangerine followed by menzerna powerlock on crimson. it was a 2005 vz holden commodore in silver. TIA

allenk4
11-18-2014, 09:51 PM
What is the condition of the paint?

Is it old and dry?

Ajawaninja
11-19-2014, 02:21 AM
The paint is in ok condition just swirled and scratched up.