PDA

View Full Version : Front windshield on 2015 Subaru with EyeSight

highgrade
11-16-2014, 04:59 PM
hey all...got a question about what might be able to be used on a front windshield of a 2015 Subaru. The car comes with the "Eyesight" system. Reading through the owner manual, it says, "Do not use any glass coating agents or similar substances on the windshield. Do so may prevent the system from operating correctly."
Has anyone dealt with such a system yet or know if any of the new nano-products will work without causing problems with the Eyesight system?

SYMAWD
11-16-2014, 05:13 PM
Just don't coat the area by the cameras. They only look out of a small portion of the windshield.

SameGuy
11-16-2014, 05:23 PM
So does the system not work with rain, snow, sleet, dust or dirt on the windshield? That's odd.

Perhaps they mean you shouldn't coat the inside?

highgrade
11-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Just don't coat the area by the cameras. They only look out of a small portion of the windshield. Hi Symawd, I thought about that also...but after reviewing the instruction manual, the portion of the glass that uses Eyesight is over half the windshield.

SameGuy
11-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Yep, I'm going back to "no interior coating."

SYMAWD
11-16-2014, 05:33 PM
So does the system not work with rain, snow, sleet, dust or dirt on the windshield? That's odd.

Perhaps they mean you shouldn't coat the inside?

Correct, if something is physically blocking the cameras, the system is disabled. So in direct sunlight, heavy fog, blinding snow, etc, the system will not work. I guess they do not recommend a coating as they could cause a glare similar to direct sunlight.

In general, the system does work in rain and snow, but can be disabled in some conditions and that information is relayed to the driver via a warning on the dash.

highgrade
11-16-2014, 05:44 PM
hey all...here is the link to a PDF that explains it better than I can: Link to Eyesight (http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/68554/pdf/ownerManual/068554_2013_Legacy/MSA5M1318A_3.pdf) - look around page 8.
I believe the instruction is about external coatings....not just internal.

SYMAWD
11-16-2014, 05:45 PM
hey all...here is the link to a PDF that explains it better than I can: Link to Eyesight (http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/68554/pdf/ownerManual/068554_2013_Legacy/MSA5M1318A_3.pdf) - look around page 8.
I believe the instruction is about external coatings....not just internal.

I agree, they certainly mean external coatings.

The trade off with eye-sight is that it's superior to all other systems, but certain conditions can disable it where that is not likely to happen with laser/ radar based systems.

highgrade
11-28-2014, 02:22 PM
I talked with a Subaru rep today and got some clarification on the "windshield coating". There explanation is a terrible choice of wording to say, don't put anything on the windshield that can distort the view of the eyesight device. They said the primary problem is when people put the window tint strip across the top of the windshield.
They also said that Subaru should have this on all their vehicles by 2017. So...sealers are ok as long as they don't change the vision through the glass.

SameGuy
11-28-2014, 02:50 PM
That is EXACTLY what I figured, the information above made zero sense to me... Coatings do not change the refraction or intensity of light through the windshield, so how would the cameras be affected?

highgrade
11-28-2014, 04:58 PM
That is EXACTLY what I figured, the information above made zero sense to me... Coatings do not change the refraction or intensity of light through the windshield, so how would the cameras be affected?
Reading articles on this forum about how cQuartz UK edition makes the color a little deeper would indicate that there could be some light filtering...so if a person were to put cQuartz UK edition on the windshield instead of a product like the FlyBy30 product, I would think there could be a chance of disturbing the EyeSight system (???)