PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaning and polishing questions

godfearingman
11-16-2014, 11:32 AM
hi I have a used set of chrome rims I bought about 6 months ago I'm wanting to clean and polish and make them look and shine as good as they can. I'm trying to decide whether to get Meguiar's cone or Mother's power ball. Also trying to find the best thing to remove caked on brake dust and oxidation etc. Thanks in advance I can post pics if needed.

allenk4
11-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Pictures Please

It will help get accurate guidance

godfearingman
11-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Ok I'll try to post some tomorrow it's been raining here the last couple days plus been COLD!

Max Luster Auto
11-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Sonax PLUS wheel cleaner and Flitz metal polish is a winning combination for me.

godfearingman
11-17-2014, 09:40 AM
I know there not in the best shape but got the wheels and tires cheap.

forrest@mothers
11-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Because of the split spoke, you'll find a cone (either the Mothers PowerCone or the Meguiar's version) to be better than a ball shaped device and getting in the opening in each spoke. The cone can be laid flat to polish the depth of the barrel.

A proper chrome polish will help with the rust bleed from the allen head bolts, but the bubbling chrome is not repairable - eventually it will pop and flake off.

jmsc
11-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Forrest,

can the Mothers PowerCone be used on a clearcoated alloy wheel?

forrest@mothers
11-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Forrest,

Yes, it can - you just need to use an appropriate polish with it. I'd suggest a cleaner wax or plastic polish. Others may have their own suggestions of a product to use.

godfearingman
11-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Because of the split spoke, you'll find a cone (either the Mothers PowerCone or the Meguiar's version) to be better than a ball shaped device and getting in the opening in each spoke. The cone can be laid flat to polish the depth of the barrel.

A proper chrome polish will help with the rust bleed from the allen head bolts, but the bubbling chrome is not repairable - eventually it will pop and flake off.

Ok thanks there chrome isn't bubbling bad enough to anything just wanting to get the dark spots off in between and around the spokes.

The Guz
11-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Forrest,

It sure can. Here's my review on what I did with my wheels with Mothers products.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/78014-mothers-pro-paint-restoration-system-review.html