PDA

View Full Version : Dlux on honeycomb grill

Pages : [1] 2

frankprozzoly
11-16-2014, 09:28 AM
How would you apply on a tight plastic grill? What would you use? The bottom and upper parts are so thin that a q tip might not fit. I can get my finger in the other areas

Also how do you prep? Should I just scrub it with apc then maybe an ipa wipe. Would you bother with iron x on plastic?

frankprozzoly
11-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Here's a picture

Moldavite
11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
My approach will be
Ironx and apc with detail brush
Wash clean then dry
Eraser
May try cotton bud for infant, smallest size ;)

frankprozzoly
11-16-2014, 10:49 AM
Ok thanks

GenesisCoupe
11-16-2014, 10:57 AM
My approach will be
Ironx and apc with detail brush
Wash clean then dry
Eraser
May try cotton bud for infant, smallest size ;)

IronX on plastic trim?

I usually just do wash, apc, dry and coat. Been good for months.

Moldavite
11-16-2014, 11:23 AM
IronX on plastic trim?

I usually just do wash, apc, dry and coat. Been good for months.

Guess it's optional :)
my place have much more contaminations and I feel safer to decon everything before coat

expdetailing
11-16-2014, 11:24 AM
My daughter has drug me through the women's make-up aisle in many stores, and I found they sell make-up applicators that are good for smaller areas. For example, an eye-shadow applicator would work well. It's a spear-shaped sponge on a stick. You can buy a bag of them for $5 or less.

Moldavite
11-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Sometimes I follow my wife to cosmetic/baby department at shopping to get some supplies lol

MarkD51
11-16-2014, 11:58 AM
I had a bit of a dilemma on my Tahoe's Wiper Cowl when I treated with CP DLX.

With all the little fins, and nooks-crannies I figured there was going to be no way with any applicator.

I removed the entire Cowl, it's a 3 piece affair. Cleaned with APC's, hot water and small Detailing Brush to get all the dirts, and other crud off.

Then, whipped out the little bag of Wally World Brushes that I bought in their Textile-Hobby Dept and went to work.

I found a small suitable 1/2 wide soft Artist's Brush, started at one end, and simply dribbled DLX onto the Cowl, then spread with the Artist's Brush.

I wasn't shooting for perfection on a 16-17 year old part at the time, just wanted some good improvement, and some protection that would last.

The before-after difference was night and day. I was totally happy with the results, the part was looking like new.

With Trim Parts such as these, I've found it is usually much easier if one can remove the entire part, clean everything well, coat, let fully dry, then re-install.

Moldavite
11-16-2014, 12:11 PM
With Trim Parts such as these, I've found it is usually much easier if one can remove the entire part, clean everything well, coat, let fully dry, then re-install.

+1
do it once and do it nice :props:

Rsurfer
11-16-2014, 01:37 PM
On hard to reach places like honeycomb grills...Stoner's Trim and Shine will do the job in minuets instead of hours.

allenk4
11-16-2014, 01:48 PM
My DLUX came with a foam tipped swab type applicator that works great for these types of areas

MarkD51
11-16-2014, 01:53 PM
On hard to reach places like honeycomb grills...Stoner's Trim and Shine will do the job in minuets instead of hours.

But perhaps such short minutes add up over time? How long will the Stoner's product last? I've never used the product, so in no way am I slamming it, but doubtful it lasts as long as DLX.

When I did the Tahoe Cowl, of course the removal, cleaning prep, and re-installation took the longest time to do.

I think the DLX application via brush method only took me 15 minutes.

The downside of my brush method, was I did go through quite a bit of DLX. It did spread pretty well with the soft brush, but there's little doubt the Cowl got one really thick coat.

After drying, and prior to re-installing, I then simply did the underside of the Cowl with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant just to put "something" on it.

Rsurfer
11-16-2014, 04:04 PM
But perhaps such short minutes add up over time? How long will the Stoner's product last? I've never used the product, so in no way am I slamming it, but doubtful it lasts as long as DLX.

When I did the Tahoe Cowl, of course the removal, cleaning prep, and re-installation took the longest time to do.

I think the DLX application via brush method only took me 15 minutes.

The downside of my brush method, was I did go through quite a bit of DLX. It did spread pretty well with the soft brush, but there's little doubt the Cowl got one really thick coat.

After drying, and prior to re-installing, I then simply did the underside of the Cowl with Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant just to put "something" on it.

:iagree:But some don't have the time or want to spend the effort.

MarkD51
11-16-2014, 04:12 PM
:iagree:But some don't have the time or want to spend the effort.

That's true.
I'm guessing that the OP (Frank) has the DLX on hand, and would like to use it everywhere he can.
Mark