PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen water behavior like this before?

aim4squirrels
11-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Cleaned the car today. Noticed odd sheeting patterns all over the car that were reproducible many times and in the exact same shapes and angles . Never seen anything like it:

Odd water behavior: Odd water behavior - YouTube (http://youtu.be/y7qYjtTVOXo)

Car was coated with PBL surface coating in January, and last week I topped it with CG V7 hybrid sealant spray. First time I've ever used that particular product on the coating.

DaveT435
11-15-2014, 05:05 PM
EXO and Ultima Paint Guard Plus both give similar results. I also use V7 great stuff

Paul A.
11-15-2014, 05:21 PM
That's crazy! Those funky angles are weird!

allenk4
11-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Almost looks like the water is following a scratch

FUNX650
11-15-2014, 07:31 PM
I've seen that kind of water behavior before.
Less water-spotting when it sheets like that.
Which is, IMO: An admirable characteristic. :props:

Did you also use CG V7 on the glass panels?

Bob

Moldavite
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
impressive matrix water behavior :props:

aim4squirrels
11-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Almost looks like the water is following a scratch

I know, and in a pucker-inducing panic that's the first thing I checked, but there definitely are not scratches in that configuration on the paint. All vertical panels exhibited this behavior. It's cool, but weird and I'm curious as to the reason behind this behavior.

I've seen that kind of water behavior before.
Less water-spotting when it sheets like that.
Which is, IMO: An admirable characteristic. :props:

Did you also use CG V7 on the glass panels?

Bob

No to V7 on the glass. I have in the past and V7 left streaking that took significant effort to remove. The glass was coated with the PBL surface coating. And it gets cleaned weekly with stoners invisible glass, the non-rain repellant kind.

This isn't my first use of V7, I've used it often before coating because it was an excellent drying aide, and I still use it on my wife's vehicle as I haven't gotten around to correcting her vehicle yet to even coat it. This was the first time I used it on top of the coating though.

Also, I didn't use it as a drying aide on this vehicle this time. The Challenger was dry when I applied V7 last week. I got to thinking that perhaps the reason I was never happy with V7 was that when used as a drying aide, I was subjecting the sealant portion of the product to an excessive amount of water, thus ruining its ability to cure correctly, so I applied it to dry, clean paint. Still, I've done the same to the wife's SUV and not had this type of sheeting action occur.

I too value sheeting over beading as there's less to dry after washing the vehicle. With black, it significantly reduces the potential for water spots.

cardaddy
11-15-2014, 10:02 PM
WOW!

Sure we're not in the "Twilight Zone"? :D

oldmodman
11-16-2014, 02:55 AM
The water is following microscopic edges remaining from the last wipe down when the wax or coating was applied.

Don M
11-16-2014, 09:35 AM
The water is following microscopic edges remaining from the last wipe down when the wax or coating was applied.

:iagree: