PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber fell on cement. Can I still use them?

Pages : [1] 2

flugufrelsarinn
11-15-2014, 11:12 AM
I was carrying my microfiber when a wind blew some of them off the top of the pile. They landed on the driveway.

Can I wash these real good and use them again, or are they like clay and they are done for?

Setec Astronomy
11-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Well, that is going to be up to you.

Half of the people who respond will tell you do throw them away or demote them to engine or wheel use, give them to your neighbor, etc.

The other half will tell you to wash them 6 times, or blow them out with compressed air, or vacuum them, and then wash them six times (sorry, some subset will just say to wash them 1 time).

Good luck.

Moldavite
11-15-2014, 11:20 AM
i would hand pick them if there's any dirt trap in
after rewash inspect for dirt again.
worst case is to degrade them for more dirty jobs ,wheel well/ jams etc

Nick McKees37
11-15-2014, 11:29 AM
STOP RIGHT THERE!

Use it for wheels and/or door jambs. :dblthumb2:

Better safe than sorry.

Setec Astronomy
11-15-2014, 11:35 AM
STOP RIGHT THERE!

Use it for wheels and/or door jambs. :dblthumb2:

Better safe than sorry.

I never understood the door jamb suggestion--if it swirls up your door jambs, those are so much harder to polish out than an exterior panel. Wheel spokes are no picnic to polish, either. So if you are afraid about them swirling something, you should give them to your brother-in-law.

Or am I the only one who gets upset by swirls in his doorjambs?

SameGuy
11-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Half the cars around here are aftermarket "rust proofed" so now I expressly tell people I don't clean door jambs, under the hood or deck lid unless they want to pay a big upcharge. The commercial Waxoyl-type goos they use are so stubborn, a set of jambs on a two-door coupe can take two to three hours to clean up. An engine bay can take the better part of an afternoon using an insane amount of chemicals, and a ton of rags that must be discarded.

Moldavite
11-15-2014, 12:04 PM
An engine bay can take the better part of an afternoon using an insane amount of chemicals, and a ton of rags that must be discarded.

i did my wheel well /under hood/jam last week and only manage to clean about 50% for engine area :laughing:

sacrificed (threw away):
16oz Opc (1:3)
16oz CG Allclean+ (1:10)
4 pieces 3m towel
2 degraded meg ultimate wipe
1 degraded supreme shine
2 meguiars applicator (new)

Nick McKees37
11-15-2014, 12:06 PM
I never understood the door jamb suggestion--if it swirls up your door jambs, those are so much harder to polish out than an exterior panel. Wheel spokes are no picnic to polish, either. So if you are afraid about them swirling something, you should give them to your brother-in-law.

Or am I the only one who gets upset by swirls in his doorjambs?

LOL I only take this obsession..errrr...hobby so far! If my paint looks so good that you have to resort to inspecting my door jambs for swirls...I think I'm doing pretty well. :laughing:

cardaddy
11-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Well, that is going to be up to you.

Half of the people who respond will tell you do throw them away or demote them to engine or wheel use, give them to your neighbor, etc.

The other half will tell you to wash them 6 times, or blow them out with compressed air, or vacuum them, and then wash them six times (sorry, some subset will just say to wash them 1 time).

Good luck.

You forgot the part where you stand on one foot and face the South while singing John Lennon's "My Sweet Lord". :D

Blade
11-15-2014, 12:33 PM

Or am I the only one who gets upset by swirls in his doorjambs?I can only speak for myself. I don't get upset by swirls in my doorjambs for one reason and one reason only: I DON'T LOOK for swirls in my door jambs!! I keep them clean and free of gunk, but that's about it. But then again, I've got daily drivers.

SameGuy
11-15-2014, 12:35 PM
George Harrison but you're forgiven...

07gtcs
11-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Wash them well and re-use. Happens to me all the time

FUNX650
11-15-2014, 12:59 PM
I was carrying my microfiber when a wind blew some of them off the top of the pile. They landed on the driveway.

Can I wash these real good and use them again, or are they like clay and they are done for?

Re: Microfiber fell on cement. Can I still use them?

Did this mishap occur upon a freshly poured driveway?
If not:
It sounds like your MF-towels landed on your concrete driveway.

So...IMO:
-If need be: Conduct a mechanical-removal of any observable contaminates. Then:
-Wash them real good, as a separate wash-load. Afterwards:
-Inspect as you normally would before use. That's when you'll surely be able to make the most definitive assessment.

Bob

SameGuy
11-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Yeah, me too. Heck, I forgot to dunk the rags I used for levelling and removing EXO residue and a week later I washed the entire load and can't tell which was pristine and which was supposedly ruined by crystallized coating.

SameGuy
11-15-2014, 01:09 PM
While Bob's feeling pedantic I might point out to him that asphalt (blacktop, pavement) is also a concrete, made up of an aggregate bound with bitumen.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/####/Asphalt_concrete)