PDA

View Full Version : takeing my first steps, need help?

Pages : [1] 2

SMCN101
11-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Hi guys first post here, have doing my research on this forum for the last month now and thought I would finally join and try to seek help deciphering all this information lol.

I recently bought a brand new Mercedes CLA 220 AMG Sport in White 4 weeks ago. It's a lovely car and I couldn't be happier with it. It breaks my heart tho anytime I look at it and see it dirty.

I am looking for a few tips and products to keep it clean, protected and looking glossy. Seeing as its new im guessing clay'ing and polishing won't be required at this stage but could anyone suggest a good wax, spray, or clear coat or even a combination of them which I could use to keep my car in good condition? Thank you for your time guys.

MarkD51
11-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Hi, and welcome to this forum.

There's a 100,000 different routes you can go with car care. That almost anything used is better than neglect.

One of the most important aspects of car care is a good wash technique with good products and good tools at your disposal. Gentle Shampoos, good soft Wash Mitts, like perhaps a soft Microfiber Chenille Mitt are good, many use the two bucket method to reduce abrasives in the wash water, good quality soft drying towels.

Do get in the habit of requesting your dealer NOT wash your car, no matter if they sell Mercedes, Bentleys, don't matter, don't let any Dealer-Shop wash-detail your ride, period!

There are many good over the counter products to protect, and enhance the look of your vehicle. And they can be relatively inexpensive.

Brands like Duragloss are great, all their products work as stated, and can usually be gotten at CARQUEST, and sometimes NAPA Stores.

Meguiars has been in the game for a long time, and make many fine products. Even companies like Turtle Wax, Mothers, and Surf City Garage seem to be stepping up their game with better products continually being introduced.

Of course the stores here, and at the sister site, Autopia have a mind boggling slew of so many great products, including their own house brands, which are all top flight and although some are seemed to be a bit pricey you often do get what you pay for.

Wolfgang, DP, Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc. are all fantastic product lines made specifically for Palm Beach Motoring Group (PBMG)

Others like Collinite make great paint protectants-waxes at relatively low cost.

As others here will say, the newness of any vehicle doesn't necessarily gaurantee that the paint, and glass are contaminant free and not in need of decontamination, and the possible need of the use of Claying.

That even straight off the dealer's floor or as little as a week later, the paint-glass can have stuck-bonded contaminants already.

Simple test most of us use, is the "plastic baggie test". Wash, and dry vehicle, take the thinnest plastic sandwich bag you have on hand, place your hand inside of it, and gently feel your paint and glass in various areas. This will tell you the condition.

Contaminants can be a whole host of different nasties, rail dust, brake dusts (metallic) saps, paint oversprays, industrial fallout, etc.

There are products made today that address Iron Contaminantion such as Carpro Iron-X. A horribly nasty stinking product, but truly amazing what it does, and commonly a must have in many detailer's arsenals. Iron contamination does have the tendency to erode and microscopically pit a paint finish.

Once a paint is clean, any and all protectants made will commonly work their best, and last their longest.

Again, welcome to the forum, and have fun. Best of luck with your new ride!
Mark

SMCN101
11-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate the advice from someone who clearly knows their stuff. I was going to go down the route of just paying a valeting company weekly to come out and give my car a good clean but tbh I can be a bit OCD at times and like to know every single product that has been used and how it was applied lol.

I will make sure to give my car a good clean and check the condition of the paint work and address any issues found. I had no idea new cars could have paint work with imperfections. Once I have all the basics sorted like paint in good condition, properly cleaned etc I definitely want to go down the route of getting good protection on the car.

What would be the best wax or spray wax choice for a white car to keep it protected and glossy? I have browsed about for a while now but it seems everyone has they'r prefferences, I see that spray wax's might be much easier to apply which appeals to me at the moment seeing as I'm just getting new to this. Thanks again

Moldavite
11-15-2014, 09:28 AM
welcome to AG forum!!!

although it's new car, you still need to decon as mention above :D

Most importantly, is to decide your future expectation.
to protect from the beginning is the best route and easier to maintain down the road.

SMCN101
11-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Yeah indefinitely want to keep on top of it to keep the car in its best condition for as long as possible. Luckily I obsess with keeping things clean, then again I imagine most members on here have moderate to severe OCD haha. Also the interior of my car is a combination of what Mercedes call Artico Leather and microfibre. I know Artico Leather is pretty much a vinyl/plastic type material but is it safe to use leather conditioners on this? I ask because I find leather conditioners leave your car smelling wonderful and I doubt vinyl cleaners leave a similar aroma. Thanks again guys.

MarkD51
11-15-2014, 09:48 AM
For white paint, you'll get many suggestions for the best products which will give the best looks and protection. I will not go into semi-permanent resin and ceramic paint "coatings" here, but they are an option, and can always be used if desired at present, or at some future point should you choose. They have their great qualities, but can be testy and problematic.

I'll stick with mentioning more conventional Waxes, Hybrids, and Synthetic Sealants.

Those will be Duragloss #501 Marine-RV Polish, which is actually a Synth Sealant with a high abundance of paint cleaners. Their other Sealants such as #105, and #111 are also great, have lesser cleaners respectively, are very inexpensive, easy to work with, offer long lasting protection and a hard, wet candy like shine typical of the look that Synth Paint Sealants can give. Duragloss Aquawax Spray is also a great inexpensive product, great as a washing aid used on a wet rinsed vehicle, or also as a stand alone detailer spray after washes to maintain protection and shine.

Some other world class Sealants such as Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and Menzerna Powerlock are sublime, and superb. Little to none in the way of cleaners, no abrasives, but again a beautiful high gloss dripping wet, long lasting finish they both give.

Collinite #476 Doublecoat Paste, and Collinite #845 Liquid Insulator Wax. Both outstanding, the paste lasts the longest, unbelieveable durability, quite inexpensive, #845 again is outstanding, Collinite has been around a long long time. These products, like Duragloss are very tough to beat, especially for their prices. I've used Collinite products for many many years. You will not usually find Collinite in any store.
Mark

Moldavite
11-15-2014, 09:49 AM
I was going to go down the route of just paying a valeting company weekly to come out and give my car a good clean but tbh I can be a bit OCD at times and like to know every single product that has been used and how it was applied lol.

you may want to call for an experience detailer near you and have him do your car and learn from there

I definitely want to go down the route of getting good protection on the car.

coating is the answer ;)

What would be the best wax or spray wax choice for a white car to keep it protected and glossy?
I see that spray wax's might be much easier to apply.

Meguiars Ultimate spray wax is easy to apply :xyxthumbs:

or you prefer to DIY and that leads to another discussion :D

MarkD51
11-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Yeah indefinitely want to keep on top of it to keep the car in its best condition for as long as possible. Luckily I obsess with keeping things clean, then again I imagine most members on here have moderate to severe OCD haha. Also the interior of my car is a combination of what Mercedes call Artico Leather and microfibre. I know Artico Leather is pretty much a vinyl/plastic type material but is it safe to use leather conditioners on this? I ask because I find leather conditioners leave your car smelling wonderful and I doubt vinyl cleaners leave a similar aroma. Thanks again guys.

I would say to be safe, and using common sense, I myself would not use products made-designed for Leather on non-leather interior parts, seats, etc.

Because many leather conditioners may have products in them such as Lanolin, and other products which will not be optimal for plastics-vinyl.

That they may alter, damage, or have other negative qualities such as being dust-dirt attractants.

Again, many of the specific interior cleaning and protectant products made by PBMG such as Wolfgang, Blackfire, DP are all outstanding, safe, will give beautiful final results, and will protect.

Many of us here mix and match products from different lines, seeking the best personally liked products that we like and choose to use on our vehicles, or customer's vehicles in the instance of being a professional detailer.

But, one would usually never make any mistakes either by sticking to one specific PBMG company brand from the likes of Wolfgang, Blackfire, DP, Pinnacle, and Pinnacle Black Label.

Moldavite
11-15-2014, 10:15 AM
I would say to be safe, and using common sense, I myself would not use products made-designed for Leather on non-leather interior parts, seats, etc.

Because many leather conditioners may have products in them such as Lanolin, and other products which will not be optimal for plastics-vinyl.

That they may alter, damage, or have other negative qualities such as being dust-dirt attractants.

Again, many of the specific interior cleaning and protectant products made by PBMG such as Wolfgang, Blackfire, DP are all outstanding, safe, will give beautiful final results, and will protect.

Many of us here mix and match products from different lines, seeking the best personally liked products that we like and choose to use on our vehicles, or customer's vehicles in the instance of being a professional detailer.

But, one would usually never make any mistakes either by sticking to one specific PBMG company brand from the likes of Wolfgang, Blackfire, DP, Pinnacle, and Pinnacle Black Label.

+1

toycar18
11-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Optimum car wax is a very durable easy to use spray wax. I highly recommend it

Moldavite
11-15-2014, 10:59 AM
for reference ;)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/86502-some-detailing-observations-my-9-commandments.html

SMCN101
11-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Great info guys thanks for helping out a newcomer to all this, I know a lot of people just say 'do your research' but research on this site can be like deciphering the matrix at times lol. Done a read up on a few of the products mentioned and really like the sound of Wolfgang Gloss Paint Seal 3.0. Reasonably priced too and doesn't sound too difficult to apply.

Bring at this new stage of the game it's hard not to want to go out and buy a product for every inch of the car. So as a good beginner sort of regime for getting the exterior of the car in top shape would I be right in saying:

- wash
- clay
- wash
- apply wax/sealant
- tart up tyres with something like DP Series Gloss Tire Gel

Obviously a simplified list but the right idea?

Chears again

SMCN101
11-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Just noticed the 9 commandments, I shall do my homework lol

mwoolfso
11-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Great info guys thanks for helping out a newcomer to all this, I know a lot of people just say 'do your research' but research on this site can be like deciphering the matrix at times lol. Done a read up on a few of the products mentioned and really like the sound of Wolfgang Gloss Paint Seal 3.0. Reasonably priced too and doesn't sound too difficult to apply.

Bring at this new stage of the game it's hard not to want to go out and buy a product for every inch of the car. So as a good beginner sort of regime for getting the exterior of the car in top shape would I be right in saying:

- wash
- clay
- wash
- apply wax/sealant
- tart up tyres with something like DP Series Gloss Tire Gel

Obviously a simplified list but the right idea?

Chears again

I hear ya' about getting overwhelmed around here. You will get used to it though once you develop a set of base preferences and then potentially experiment from there. You really can't go wrong with the products here in AGO but what I have seen is people go too far too fast; then they wind up with an inventory that will last them 20 years. :-)

You need to help us understand how much time and effort you want to put into your vehicle, as well as whether or not you want to go with a coating and simply maintain the coating for 2+ years. Also, if you are averse to working by hand or machine.

I purchased a white pearl 2013 Acura RDX in September 2013. I only washed it several times through September of this year when I finally had the opportunity to detail it for the first time. Here is what I did:

1. Washed with Mothers California Gold Car Wash 64 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/mo56664.html)

I have a foam cannon + power washer; vehicle was foamed, then rinsed, then with a chenille wash mitt I went over the vehicle again using a 2-bucket wash method. The reason is simple.... ground-in dirt all over. The foam cannon is just fun but the pre-wash helps here in my mind to loosen up any dirt and finding all those nasty spots that require some elbow grease.

1a. I cleaned the wheels and tires with Megs APC+ diltuted 4:1... typically I do this when the car is wet or before I wash.

2. Clayed with Riccardo Yellow Detailing Clay - Mild, auto detailing clay, best detailing clay bar (http://www.autogeek.net/riccardo-yellow-clay.html) using Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html) with a clay lube dilution ratio.

Not a terrible amount of visible dirt transferred the clay but the smoothness in the paint started to be felt

3. Decontaminated the paint with Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller Iron Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/dj-fd10c.html). You can also use Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html)

I typically use IronX but tested with the Dodo... I liked it... it doesn't dry out as fast as IronX and with white paint and a new vehicle I figured I would see a lot of stuff coming off the paint - boy was I right. I typically spray the product on a panel.... let dwell for 45 seconds, then with a damp microfiber applicator I spread the product around and let dwell again.... rinse thoroughly ... then move to the next panel.

4 I used an AIO to polish the paint, Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-paint-reconditioning-cream-d151.html) I considered Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html) but I wanted something a little stronger and was in the mood to use my DA polisher. Had I preferred to go by hand I would have went with Wolfgang.

I went through 3 polishing pads and they were filthy once I was complete.

5. I sealed the paint with Sonax Polymer Net Shield, sonax polymer netshield, sonax profiline polymer netshield (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-polymer-net-shield.html) ... application was smoothe and I liked the finish.

6. Tires were not dressed as I ran out of time .... I accomplished what I set out to do for the first detail. but I would have used PERL Coat Plastic & Rubber Protectant, rubber and vinyl dressing, interior protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/perl-coat-dressing.html) diluted 3:1.

My wife and I did the interior in late spring - using Mothers VLR. No need to redo that again.

I'll post some pics if I can get them off my cell phone. But this is the general recommendation I will offer you.

SMCN101
11-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks for takeing the time to post in such detail, I think this has to be the most helpful and informative forum iv ever been on. To be honest I don't mind putting in the time to achieve the goal so I would like to attempt detailing the car the proper way like the steps you mentioned. I can see my bank balance takeing a pretty severe hit in the coming week once I have all my products picked up lol. All worth it in the end tho, it amazes me how many people buy nice cars and leave them looking like an old muddy set of work boots.