PDA

View Full Version : Taking 8x photos as done by David Ghodoussi

sg.
11-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Toward the end of this article by David Ghodoussi (http://www.optimumcarcare.com/articles/evolution.html), there are 4 "8x" photographs. Two questions:

How can one take such photographs?
Anyone have such photographs for showing the before and the after for the use of Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (if so, I would like to see them).

toycar18
11-14-2014, 08:49 PM
It's referring to the digital zoom of 8x.... I believe most camera will display the zoom factor.

I highly doubt a photograph is going to show before and after pictures of a paint cleaner very well unless the paint is dirty or oxidized as it is a paint cleaner to clean the paint and prep for lsp. No abrasives in the product.....I believe

Setec Astronomy
11-18-2014, 08:17 AM
I believe those photos were taken through a microscope or loupe. Not sure if setting a modern digital camera to macro and zooming in all the way would do the same thing--I don't think so.

However, they do sell microscopes these days that have a CCD and hook up to a computer (they are mostly kids science toys); I believe some high profile detailers have shown videos of using these.

Desertnate
11-18-2014, 08:52 AM
It's referring to the digital zoom of 8x.... I believe most camera will display the zoom factor.

The scratches he's showing are very tiny. I don't think a macro lens on a camera would do that. If shot with a camera it would have the focal length of the lense, not a magnification factor. Agree with others this is probably with a microscope of some sort. Typically the lenses on those scopes are listed in "x magnification". I believe the ones I used in college were in even numbers too.

I highly doubt a photograph is going to show before and after pictures of a paint cleaner very well unless the paint is dirty or oxidized as it is a paint cleaner to clean the paint and prep for lsp. No abrasives in the product.....I believe

Agree. A paint cleaner is only a chemical cleaner with no abrasives designed to get rid of the previous coat of LSP and deep clean the paint. In this setting, the results might actually look worse as the paint cleaner would remove old "wax" and any fillers left by previous products revealing more defects rather than fewer.

Dogfather
11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
BTW, thanks OP for that link. Interesting article.