PDA

View Full Version : Is there a matrix showing Polish advantages/disadvantages?

YankeeFan
08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Just curious since there are many polishes available i.e XMT, PB, Menzerna, Optimum, etc. The things I was thinking of were low vs. high dust, works well in the sun, a lot of cut, breaks down slowly, etc.

Howard

Mr Dream Machines
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Menz 106 is virtually dustless and breaks down slowly and has good burnishing power (don't like the word cut anymore)

91L can be very high dusting but DG PBA 601 stops that
XMT #2 breaks down fairly slowly and has no dust

mixxer
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
you can work optimum for a month and get no dust.

sriquixotic
08-17-2007, 06:51 PM
I've used xmt #2/yellow edge pad and it worked alright on some light scratches, but wasn't enough for the deeper ones that were in the clear coat even when I tried 2x. Would you guys suggest xmt #4? If I used optimum polish with a yellow pad would I yield similar results as xmt #2 or better? Meguiars Final Cut polish dusts like a sandstorm so becareful, thanks.

dengood1
08-17-2007, 07:02 PM
you can work optimum for a month and get no dust.

this cracked me up----funny, that's the way I feel sometimes with the PC:D

mixxer
08-17-2007, 07:15 PM
:D

ecetim
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
I've used xmt #2/yellow edge pad and it worked alright on some light scratches, but wasn't enough for the deeper ones that were in the clear coat even when I tried 2x. Would you guys suggest xmt #4? If I used optimum polish with a yellow pad would I yield similar results as xmt #2 or better? Meguiars Final Cut polish dusts like a sandstorm so becareful, thanks.I used the XMT products a lot with my UDM, so I'll share my input on this here.

XMT dusts like crazy as a whole. XMT #3 dusts more using the 5.5" low profile orange pad than it does with the LC CCS 6.5" orange pad, but both dust. XMT #1 with a white pad dusts a little too, but not nearly as much.

I did get XMT #4 as my wife's Accord has some bad paint and I found it dusted very little if any - I only used it with the 5.5" low profile orange. A couple places on the car had swirls that #3 didn't get rid of, so I used #4 and it got most of them out.

I'm probably going to try to Optimum compound as I HATE the dusting. Even though I used the UDM under my carport to avoid getting crap on the car, I still have to either QD or wash the car due to all the dusting.

Now all the dust may have to do with technique and still figuring out the best way to use the UDM and apply pressure, so YMMV.

D
08-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Menz. 106FF dusts very little. SIP dusts a little more, but not much. XMT and PB dust A LOT, PB more. OPT doesnt dust at all, but has a really long working time. My favorite is Menzerna. Id get rid of my XMT 1- 4 right now if someone wanted it.

I dont really like OPT with the PC because of its long working time. And if you dont work it long enough, then its hard to remove. Ill have to see what its like with the rotary.

RJones
08-17-2007, 10:02 PM
When it dusts, what do you do, QD w/MF it off?

ecetim
08-17-2007, 10:21 PM
If there is a relatively small amount of dust in the areas I need to finish, I will QD/MF it. If the whole car is pretty covered in the dust (which happened regularly) I will wash the whole thing.

I think in the future my strategy will be to do the whole car with one compound (say for instance, XMT #3), wash the car to get dust off, then do the next polish (say XMT #1), then wash and do my sealant/wax.

Hopefully that won't be necessary if I go with Optimum.

sriquixotic
08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
which is more abrasive, optimum polish or xmt #4?