PDA

View Full Version : How much water?

Grifffx4
11-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Any guesstimates on how many gallons of water it takes to wash a car ?

I would like to get a tank in the bed of my truck but I have no idea what size is the minimum I need. I don't want one too big, just big enough to wash one car and wheels.

SYMAWD
11-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Traditional 2 bucket? At least 10 gallons for the buckets, then estimate how many minutes you rinse for and multiply that by the GPM of your system and that should give you a decent approximation. Cars with those carpet fender liners will obviously increase the amount of water needed.

Bunky
11-13-2014, 05:06 PM
The buckets would be around 6 to 8 2 bucket method and then you need to allow time for rinsing. An electric pressure washer is rarely more than 2 GPM so you need to add that. If you wash by sections, you may rinse 4 times or so plus the final rinse and sheeting. Then you have wheels.

I would suggest you time YOUR wash method (pressure washer a must) and calculate it.

Zileas
11-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Pressure washer will definitely save you water.

Also, if water consumption is a concern, ONR might be good if it fits your needs.

Grifffx4
11-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Sorry, yeah I should have mentioned for traditional washes. I can fill my buckets before I leave so I'm really just looking for rinse water.

I'd use a Rinseless when I can but some cars just have to much muck, especially with wheels.

I'm thinking 50-75 gallons. Sound about right?

JMP
11-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Put in a 50 to ?95 gal... That way you will be able to detail their neighbor's car, after they see the fantastic work, with ease and quality. IMO. Good Luck...

FUNX650
11-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Any guesstimates on how many gallons of water it takes to wash a car ?

I would like to get a tank in the bed of my truck but I have no idea what size is the minimum I need. I don't want one too big, just big enough to wash one car and wheels.
I read somewhere that there was an Ohio EPA
"Water Usage Time Study"...where:
Ohioan's For Driveway Car-Washing was pitted against members of the Mid-West Car Wash Association (MCA).

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image669.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/86821)

It was found that the average driveway car-wash...that uses a garden type water hose with a shut-off nozzle...goes through between 80-116 gallons of water per vehicle.

In, what I'll call an apples-to-oranges comparison:
MCA car-washes...having high pressure type water nozzles...averaged between 20-30 gallons per vehicle.

IMO:
A driveway car-wash would be more in the 40, or less, gallons per vehicle range...if a pressure washer was employed during/for this type of car washing session.

Bob

Firehouse Mike
11-14-2014, 02:51 AM
55 gallons with a 1.8gpm elect washer will let me do 5 cars with wheels. Just watch rinse times....

jarred767
11-14-2014, 03:08 AM
55 gallons with a 1.8gpm elect washer will let me do 5 cars with wheels. Just watch rinse times....

This is good info. So if I'm doing a Rinseless with just a HP rinse down first, is it readable to think I could get away with a 10-15 gallon tank? I would only need it for 1 car a day (at most) and I'm somewhat limited on space.

Grifffx4
11-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Good info indeed.

Thanks!