PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone ever get rid of a Flex?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Daviddear30
11-13-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm looking at upgrading to a Flex DA I'm curious if none ever upgrades from Flex to something else? Or is the flex the pinnacle? I've never seen a used one for sale (would get one if I did )
I see people go from PC, gg, etc up to a flex.

I would probably just use it on my car and my wifes car. Hard to justify $400+ with pads etc but it seems pretty awesome.

VISITOR
11-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Does anyone ever get rid of their flex? Not if they're smart...

refreshauto
11-13-2014, 03:03 PM
that would be a negative

Kamakaz1961
11-13-2014, 03:13 PM
No! Nope, Never, Nada, Ain't Gonna Happen!, Are you serious?.....LOL!!!

All kidding aside; Daviddear30 you hit it right on the head! IMO The Flex 3401 VRG is the pinnacle of ALL DA's period! It is the ONLY forced rotation DA on the market. I still use my PC7424 XP but that is to apply wax/sealant.

If you are used to any other DA...Rupes, PC, GG, Megs, etc. Once you jump on the Flex you will see why no one will part with their Flex.

That of course is my opinion! Have a great day!!

VP Mark
11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
I've known people that have went from a Flex to a Rupes, but that really seems to be more of a matter of preference than dislike of the Flex.

Audios S6
11-13-2014, 03:18 PM
I've seen two locally in several years.

One was a guy getting out of the business, but it was part of a huge package deal and he wasn't willing to separate.

The other was a guy who caught the detailing bug until he realized it was going to take 10+ hours to compound and polish his car. I regret not jumping on it when I had the chance.

Evan.J
11-13-2014, 03:37 PM
If you see a used one jump on it Seriously.

If you feel there maybe any issues with it Yhen you can send it in to power house tools have them go over it fix or replace anything that might be wrong with it and get it back. It's like having a new machine all over again.

02xtreme07SS
11-13-2014, 03:54 PM
In the rare instances where I have seen guys selling their 3401s, those same people ended up expressing regret and some of them ended up buying another to replace the one they gave up.

JMP
11-13-2014, 03:56 PM
When you pry it from my cold, dead hands!!

JHL88
11-13-2014, 03:56 PM
I, for one, would never give up my Flex. If you find a used one for sale, you're lucky.

Loach
11-13-2014, 04:20 PM
The Flex 3401 is at the top of its game, largely a result of it being the only one in its category - forced rotation DA. Even if it wasn't the only one in its category, it's still a durable workhorse that puts up results and does it all, compounding and finishing to perfection.

Me personally, I wasn't sold on the Flex because I already had a DA and rotary combination that was working for me, and the price of the Flex is a bit too high for me to make any switch. Although the feedback from the 3401 is more manageable than other basic DA's at high speed, on my hands the rotary is smoother doing extended compounding, so any two or three-step project would still have me reaching for the rotary. Not to say you'll have the same problem, my hands are in the early stages of arthritis.

Both the rotary and the Rupes are alternatives to the Flex. For me, each one has its individual pros and cons that make choosing between them a lot to think about, not to mention price. Like the rotary, there's a learning curve to the 3401, it's going to feel different on the paint than a regular DA due to the forced rotation, only compared to the rotary the Flex rotates in the opposite direction as well as orbits. Safe to learn on due to that orbital feature, but those not expecting that different feel may be turned away from it without giving it a chance for them to get used to. Some guys may lean towards the Rupes for its familiar feel to other DAs, and also its balance and incredible smoothness. But in some curves where the Rupes has a tendency for its rotation to be stopped, the Flex will power through those areas without adjustment.

You just have to match your preferences to the price you want to pay.

ilian11
11-13-2014, 05:33 PM
A fellow AGO member was selling his 3401 HD this summer, he threw in the extra plates too. So it does come up from time to time :)

Bunky
11-13-2014, 05:42 PM
When you pry it from my cold, dead hands!!

I like my flex too but when you state this I always think of this from Men in Black when he refused to surrender his shotgun.

Your Proposal is Acceptable - YouTube (http://youtu.be/Cp0I9qLE0VA)

Youtube embed was not working...

haris300
11-13-2014, 07:24 PM
I'll get rid of it when they make something better

tpr1634
11-13-2014, 07:37 PM
It's the best investment I've made next to collinite 845.