PDA

View Full Version : CG Black Light Question

Pages : [1] 2

rstark18
11-12-2014, 03:23 AM
I have two daily drivers that need a little attention. I don't plan on going all out just make them look nice.
One of the cars is a Toyota Prius and has Winter Gray paint. In the past I've used Zaino Z5 which really brings out a little color to the gray that is supposed to be there. Over a the last year or two I got lazy and was just using Optimum Spray Wax. The problem I always had with that was it didn't give the paint the deep color that the Z5 did but it was so easy to use.

I'm hoping the Black Light gives the great results the Z5 did when it comes to that little bit of color in the gray.
I plan on using CG Black Light with a DA and a CG Blue or Black pad.

My question is if I top up with the Optimum Spray Wax after using the Black Light will I lose that color depth? I would still like to use the OSW weekly after a wash if it doesn't affect the look of the Black Light.

aim4squirrels
11-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Blacklight will produce a very nice look, it just won't last.

I honestly don't know what it's classified as:
Some call it an all-in-one as it can clean up the paint a bit. I've never heard definitively, but there are claims it contains fine abrasives.
I know first hand it fills like a glaze.
It can be spread razor thin with a machine and if done so, will wipe off as easily as any product I've ever used.
Looks pretty darn amazing, especially on darker colors.

It lasts a few weeks tops. The look fades very quickly. Even using the CG recommended V7 topper, it doesn't stick around long.

Can the optimum wax hold it together longer? You'll have to try it, my man. My gut tells me no, but that's just a guess based on my experiences with blacklight.

silverfox
11-12-2014, 08:49 AM
I would not under any circumstances apply OSW every week to any car. You will regret doing that after about a month of continued applications.

Top Blacklight with V7 as they are meant to be used together.

NeoSquall
11-12-2014, 08:55 AM
no one knows what it really is.. I treat it as a glaze.. applied and will top it up with sealants of your choice. I found that opti-seal does a good job of sealing it and offer bettter durability.. it does last about a month or so on my customer car.

but the shine it gives out right after applying the glaze is quite amazing.

rstark18
11-12-2014, 09:49 AM
I would not under any circumstances apply OSW every week to any car. You will regret doing that after about a month of continued applications.

Top Blacklight with V7 as they are meant to be used together.

Why wouldn't you use OSW after every wash/every week? I've been using it for a few years it it seems fine. What don't I know?

Is there an AIO that will give me the Z5 look with the Z5 durability for the dark metallic gray? I really didn't plan on using BL on a monthly basis because of the fine abrasives.

Maybe I should go back to Z5 (or DuraGloss equivalent). If I do that what would be a very easy first timer proof way to get the slight swirls out? Would BL be good for that then top with Z5/DG? Or would I be better with Meg Ultimate Polish and top that with Z5/DG?

jaimz11
11-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Why wouldn't you use OSW after every wash/every week? I've been using it for a few years it it seems fine. What don't I know?

Is there an AIO that will give me the Z5 look with the Z5 durability for the dark metallic gray? I really didn't plan on using BL on a monthly basis because of the fine abrasives.

Maybe I should go back to Z5 (or DuraGloss equivalent). If I do that what would be a very easy first timer proof way to get the slight swirls out? Would BL be good for that then top with Z5/DG? Or would I be better with Meg Ultimate Polish and top that with Z5/DG?

I've used all the systems you've mentioned (Zaino, Duragloss, Blacklight with V7, and then the Optimum Car Wax)

Duragloss 105 with 601 will be very similar to your Z5 with looks and durability. I think its even easier to apply than Z5 because I use the DA. I always disliked using so little product with Zaino

If you're looking to get swirls out, I wouldn't rely on the BL to do it. It will likely only mask them for a while and then also lower the durability of your layer of Z5 or DG 105/601. I'd polish with the Meg's UP (or Optimum Hyper Polish if you're sticking within systems/brands) then top with your choice of Z5/Duragloss or Optimum Spray Wax if you're using the Hyper Polish.

My preference for looks and longevity on gray paint would be the DG 105/601. Its not going to remove swirls but instead chemically clean paint, so be sure to polish first if that's your goal. I only use Black Light as a glaze now when durability isn't a concern and I'm not wanting to do any paint correction.

toycar18
11-12-2014, 11:45 AM
If optimum car wax is applied every week after wash and you don't have problems then don't worry about it.

I have applied optimum car wax weekly before without any issues.

rstark18
11-12-2014, 12:56 PM
One thing I like about the Z5 is that it does not have any abrasives therefore I could use it as often as I wanted without concern. It sounds like the DG does have some abrasives so I would have to be more conservative on it's frequency of use. Does that sound correct?

I guess I won't bother with BL as I do want something long lasting.

What is easier to use and get good results for a beginner, Megs UP or DG 101?

As I'm not looking for perfection is there something that's easier that will give me similar results?

allenk4
11-12-2014, 01:14 PM
How often are you washing these vehicles?

It will help determine what regimen of LSP(s) is suggested

rstark18
11-12-2014, 01:16 PM
How often are you washing these vehicles?

It will help determine what regimen of LSP(s) is suggested

Lately it's once a month but every once in a while I'll get on a kick that is every week or every other week.

dennis hiip
11-12-2014, 01:47 PM
I used this combo(BL & OSW) on my '14 Focus ST with good results. I used BL because I wanted a mildly abrasive polish/cleaner/sealant. OSW holds up pretty good(3+ weeks) but the car is kept out of the sun.

jaimz11
11-12-2014, 02:34 PM
I used this combo(BL & OSW) on my '14 Focus ST with good results. I used BL because I wanted a mildly abrasive polish/cleaner/sealant. OSW holds up pretty good(3+ weeks) but the car is kept out of the sun.

This is a black explorer I bought last summer. Took it home, stripped off whatever the dealer had on it and then applied Black Light by DA with finishing pad and topped with Optimum Spray Wax. Looked great for a 2007 daily driver but I can tell you it didn't remove much in the way of swirls, only temporarily hid them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=81781

KMdef9
11-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Someone posted they use BL with a polishing/finishing pad it helped take light swirls out, I believe it was listed in the favorite LSP thread. I'll be trying that myself next year after some swirls on my DD pop up. So if applied with a machine (if you have one) it's a glaze with very little correction.

Anyways...

I only use BL as a glaze between polishes as a swirl hider for my dark blue DD. I barely wash my DD once, let a lone twice a week and I get almost a 2 months out of BL before a noticeable fade. I also top BL with a sealant, as all DD's should have a sealant step. Honestly, if you wash it every week or a couple times a week, its going to fade even faster, so I'd try either an AIO remove swirls or put a sealant over it. I use Sonax PNS and it looks great over BL.

alexxxx89
11-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Why not use PB black hole? It's a proven, known product that is easy to use, and is also non abrasive. I have the white diamond (all light cars) and it is sooo easy to apply (Todd helme I believe did a review using a red focus that had been baking in the sun) and really works. Esp if you don't want to polish etc.

rstark18
11-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Why not use PB black hole? It's a proven, known product that is easy to use, and is also non abrasive. I have the white diamond (all light cars) and it is sooo easy to apply (Todd helme I believe did a review using a red focus that had been baking in the sun) and really works. Esp if you don't want to polish etc.

Thx I'll look at that option.