PDA

View Full Version : Using Menzerna SIP stubborn water spots

cborjon
11-11-2014, 03:53 PM
I have a Black BMW M3. In the past with a lot of research on these forums, I have used Menzerna Super Intensive Polish(P083) and Super Finish (P106FA) to get really really good results with black paint.

I recently got into an accident the hood was repainted. I was told to wait 30 days before I put anything on the paint. In the mean time we had a bit of rain, and I was not timely in washing the car. I figured no problem, in a couple of more weeks, I will just do a complete detail on the hood - SIP P083 with a Lake Country CCS Orange pad followed up P106FA with a Lake Country CCS White pad and then more P106FA with a Lake Country CCS Black pad. In the past, this combo always removed any water spots, spotting from bird droppings and even took out slight scratches. However, this time around it failed. Why?

Here is potential issue…
The Menzerna P083 and P106FA were both manufactured in 2009. On the bottle it says the shelf life is 24 months at 59-77 degrees F. So I am using product that is 3 years past its recommended shelf life. Get some new product; No brainer right? Well, I also had a pretty nasty semi-deep scratch in the paint on left front panel. So while I was working on the hood I took 2000 grit 3M paper and wet sanded the scratch. It was a decent scratch and took some time to work out. After sanding I used SIP P083 and it easily polished out the sanded area to a nice gloss. Conclusion, the SIP P083 is way past its shelf life, but it still works for 2000 grit sandpaper. Question why won't it take out water spots?

So what do you guys think I should do. I don't need to buy more polish (though I probably will) since it still works. Should I go to a more aggressive pad - Lake Country CCS Yellow or Cyan?

Thanks for advise.

cborjon
11-11-2014, 03:54 PM
One other thing…
I use a Porter Cable 7424XP and a variation of TOGWT's slow hand method. First pass at speed 4, second pass at 5, re-wet pad with distilled water, third pass at speed 4, fourth pass at 5 apply pressure, fifth pass at 6 almost no pressure.