PDA

View Full Version : Weird lines in recently replaced windshield

flycaster
11-11-2014, 12:34 PM
The windshield on my Z4 was recently replaced by Safelite. After two attempts, the third try worked. After the second failure I had requested that they install a BMW windshield, which they claimed they did. Anyway, several months later I am now noticing some dark lines and "blotches" here and there on the windshield. These marks only appears when the windshield is wet or the wipers are running. The marks appear when the wipers are running in one direction but not the other. If one dries the spot where the mark is, the mark disappears...doesn't show on a dry windshield. I have clayed and used bug/tar remover, but the marks are still there. Nothing seems to remove these marks and I'm wondering if it can be delamination? Before I go to Safelite, any explanations what is going on and/or what I can try to remove the marks?

flycaster
11-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Canceled the Safelite visit. Although I had scrubbed and washed the windshield very vigorously with various materials, those dark lines were still there when water was sprayed on. So I said what the hell and gave the windshield two coats of Rain-X. And just the day of the visit to be, i decided to spray the windshield again to see if there were any lines...no lines. So I'm thinking that the windshield was soft, something penetrated it and the Rain-X somehow disguised the lines. They will probably be back when the Rain-X wears off, eh? We will see...

swanicyouth
11-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Take it from a multiple Z4 / M Roadster owner - Safelight is the WORSE. I put 2 windshields in my old Z and you want PPG.

A BMW windshield installed by a dealer will cost like $1200 depending on vehicle's options. You can get it done by a PPG certified installer (can find on their website) for a few hundred bucks.

Paul A.
11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
BMW glass is very soft and subject to all kinds of stuff. If i remember right, you live in FL, flycaster...free replacement windshield state and i've had 2 BMW windshileds replaced due to damage. Didn't have Safelite do either and i specified i would not accept anything less than an OEM glass panel. The second installer went to the local BMW shop to get the PPG Pilkington glass.

Both times i asked if i could vacuum out the lowest point of the new windshield before it went on! Sucked all the little crud out of the back (or front) of the dashboard and it felt great! (god help me...i'm sick).

flycaster
11-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I'm in SoFL and the Safelite install was with a genuine BMW windshield, all covered by Allstate. Actually, two other windshield were first installed, but they were removed because the first one (not BMW) screwed up the rain sensor and the second one (not BMW) had a pin hole that allowed for an air leak. The third one was BMW with no problems. Although it cost me nothing, the invoice for the BMW windshield was about twice that of the others. Oh yeah, BMW want about $1600; that's the stealership for you.