PDA

View Full Version : Dlux smearing

frankprozzoly
11-11-2014, 12:29 PM
I put dlux on my accord wheels. It's about an hour and it smeared from finger swipe

I'm indoors even took a hair dryer to them for couple minutes

They're powder coated I think. Will dlux not cure on powder coat or do I need to wait longer.

When wiping down after application. The suede pad grabs like it's still sticky and it'll smear that way too. What is going on. Am I doing this incorrectly

swanicyouth
11-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I think you put on too much. It should be spread as far as possible and dries pretty quick. It dries on powder coat fine.

frankprozzoly
11-11-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm only dabbing a couple of times for maybe two spokes. Maybe it's too much.

I don't know. The videos I've watched these guys dabbed away and just started wiping away going over same area couple times. Then a minute later wiped it down with mf. Looked simple. I should've watched someone in person before doing this.

How Long should I let the wheels sit before touching them to put back on the car

Rsurfer
11-11-2014, 02:28 PM

I don't know. The videos I've watched these guys dabbed away and just started wiping away going over same area couple times. Then a minute later wiped it down with mf. Looked simple. I should've watched someone in person before doing this.

How Long should I let the wheels sit before touching them to put back on the car

Best to let it sit on your wheels overnight. Since you are not touching the wheels when mounting, you can do that right away.

swanicyouth
11-11-2014, 03:28 PM

My guess is the video is textured plastic which is more forgiving and has more surface area than flat metal. It should dry eventually.

You shouldn't have to do a lot of wiping with DLux. Just spread it out thin when you apply it initially. I hate to tell you this, but if it has to dry over a long period, it's probably going to dry textured with high/low spots - especially on smooth metal/plastic.

brondondolon
11-11-2014, 03:46 PM
How did you clean the wheels prior to dlux

AutowerxDetailing
11-11-2014, 04:03 PM
How long did you leave Dlux on the surface before buffing off the carrier solvents and flashed product?

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

frankprozzoly
11-11-2014, 05:19 PM
The wheels only have 4k miles. I cleaned multiple times with apc, clayed, megs express wash, ipa wipe. I started gently wiping about 5 minutes after application. They look fine. It just doesn't make sense that after an hour my finger smeared it. It seems to be ok. Maybe I did put on too thick.

Any thinner and I don't know how you can see anything going on

aim4squirrels
11-11-2014, 05:26 PM
What's your ambient temperature running?

frankprozzoly
11-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Btw it was much easier putting it down on plastic trim than my wheels