PDA

View Full Version : water spots after cquartz

asalesagent912
11-11-2014, 10:19 AM
I first have to say i am still on the fence about coatings.
I first used cquartz on my lexus back in april.
I love the way it beads and sheaths making washing and drying easy.
Its also a black car and does have a very nice shine.
The thing i dont like is doesn't have that smooth silk feel like wax.
Anyway getting to my question. I also applied it to my daughters Mercedes Benz
back in June. I am noticing water spots after washing and drying.
I do have to say this car doesn't get cleaned as often as my lexus. and also don't get to put on reload either. This is also one of the things i am not happy about. I put the coating on her car because i know she doesn't clean it often and figured i would get better protection with a coating. so at this point What do i do with these spots? should they be taken out somehow before i use reload or just apply the reload. i assume they should be taken out first. but with which product that wont compromise the coating?

Chris@AutoCleanse
11-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Try CarPro spotless, it removes water spots and won't affect coating.

Dr_Pain
11-11-2014, 10:36 AM
:whs:

If you want the smooth slick feel then just top your CQuartz with Reload every month or so and put that smile back on your face :)

Periodically it is important that you wash with Reset and use IronX (spray or snow soap) to remove the adhered contaminants.... and then Reload for the slickness. Now Reload does not really add to the protection because it is very well protected already but it does add that "feel" we love to feel. Coatings are notoriously grippy in nature due to their self leveling surface which creates this "glass like" squeeky clean surface (if that makes sense to you).

asalesagent912
11-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Try CarPro spotless, it removes water spots and won't affect coating.
Thanks chris

asalesagent912
11-11-2014, 12:14 PM
:whs:

If you want the smooth slick feel then just top your CQuartz with Reload every month or so and put that smile back on your face :)

Periodically it is important that you wash with Reset and use IronX (spray or snow soap) to remove the adhered contaminants.... and then Reload for the slickness. Now Reload does not really add to the protection because it is very well protected already but it does add that "feel" we love to feel. Coatings are notoriously grippy in nature due to their self leveling surface which creates this "glass like" squeeky clean surface (if that makes sense to you).
Yes i do use the reload on my lexus and your correct it does leave that slick feeling that we look for. Why do you think my daughters car is getting those water spots and not mine?
Do you think it is because she doesnt wash it that often and they are getting baked in or because i am not applying the reload to often?

Dr_Pain
11-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes i do use the reload on my lexus and your correct it does leave that slick feeling that we look for. Why do you think my daughters car is getting those water spots and not mine?
Do you think it is because she doesnt wash it that often and they are getting baked in or because i am not applying the reload to often?

Water spotting takes on several forms. The most commonly seen one will be the hard water minerals found in our tap water. Others forms include rain water (acid rain and other industrial pollutant/overspray), road splashing/spraying, etc..

In my neck of the woods, we have crop dusting (sugarcane industry), blasting and painting (oil field industry), just to name a few of the contribution(s) coming from above. We don't have smog but do have some degree of industrial pollution nonetheless. Those "substances" end up on the ground, mixed with the field mud (from the tractor bringing the cane to the mill), and "others" that are already on the ground (like engine oil), mixed with rain and splashed on your vehicle as we are driving or as others driving in front of you lifting all that mess in your face, or as they pass you and give you a good side splashing. Sometimes the dilution is enough to neutralize the pH but sometimes you have a slightly acidic, and sometime slightly alkaline mixture of "stuff". Although CQuartz is chemically stable, this mixture (and inherent chemistry) may leave its "mark". Washing on a regular bases prevents the baking on effect and assure a more thorough neutralization. A cleaner surface will also shed better and faster leaving less room for the "stuff" to do its bidding. Having a nice layer of road grime will only promote longer dwell time of that "stuff" on your paint.

As for the spot itself, due to the hydrophobicity of the products (CQuartz and Reload) and the so call "self cleaning effect", both will create those nice beads which ultimately will concentrate the "stuff" in those beads, which if the water is allowed to evaporate "in situ" will leave the solids behind (pollen, dust, industrial junk, mineral from hard water or from road splashing.

I know I am rambling, but I hope that makes sense. The solution is to clean often and clean thoroughly and adopt a positive maintenance regiment.

asalesagent912
11-11-2014, 01:33 PM
Water spotting takes on several forms. The most commonly seen one will be the hard water minerals found in our tap water. Others forms include rain water (acid rain and other industrial pollutant/overspray), road splashing/spraying, etc..

In my neck of the woods, we have crop dusting (sugarcane industry), blasting and painting (oil field industry), just to name a few of the contribution(s) coming from above. We don't have smog but do have some degree of industrial pollution nonetheless. Those "substances" end up on the ground, mixed with the field mud (from the tractor bringing the cane to the mill), and "others" that are already on the ground (like engine oil), mixed with rain and splashed on your vehicle as we are driving or as others driving in front of you lifting all that mess in your face, or as they pass you and give you a good side splashing. Sometimes the dilution is enough to neutralize the pH but sometimes you have a slightly acidic, and sometime slightly alkaline mixture of "stuff". Although CQuartz is chemically stable, this mixture (and inherent chemistry) may leave its "mark". Washing on a regular bases prevents the baking on effect and assure a more thorough neutralization. A cleaner surface will also shed better and faster leaving less room for the "stuff" to do its bidding. Having a nice layer of road grime will only promote longer dwell time of that "stuff" on your paint.

As for the spot itself, due to the hydrophobicity of the products (CQuartz and Reload) and the so call "self cleaning effect", both will create those nice beads which ultimately will concentrate the "stuff" in those beads, which if the water is allowed to evaporate "in situ" will leave the solids behind (pollen, dust, industrial junk, mineral from hard water or from road splashing.

I know I am rambling, but I hope that makes sense. The solution is to clean often and clean thoroughly and adopt a positive maintenance regiment.
Thanks claude. i think that is definitely the key.to clean often because my car is driven alot more miles than my daughters but i am nuts when it comes to cleaning my car. As soon as it rains and gets dirty i am out there cleaning it. i wish i had more time to do hers and my sons car.as well. Thanks again

ilian11
11-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Since time is of the essence and your cars are coated... could you just take it to the do it yourself wash, use the sprayer and then do a spotless rinse? Better yet, since your kids are old enough, can't they do it themselves?

I haven't got any experience with coatings, but from everything I read, you can get your car 95% clean at the auto wash with just a sprayer.

brondondolon
11-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Spotless all the way.

asalesagent912
11-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Since time is of the essence and your cars are coated... could you just take it to the do it yourself wash, use the sprayer and then do a spotless rinse? Better yet, since your kids are old enough, can't they do it themselves?

I haven't got any experience with coatings, but from everything I read, you can get your car 95% clean at the auto wash with just a sprayer.
well i kinda spoiled my kids by doing it for them or at least helping them.
They are kinda brain washed from me, i never go to any kind of car wash. i have everything i need in my garage including hot water. So it would be easier for them to just do it at home. I taught them how to wash there cars, they are just to lazy sometimes. Unfortunately for me it bothers me to see there cars dirty more than it bothers them. lol

asalesagent912
11-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Spotless all the way.
I am definitely going to get some on my next order, thanks

ilian11
11-11-2014, 04:41 PM
well i kinda spoiled my kids by doing it for them or at least helping them.
They are kinda brain washed from me, i never go to any kind of car wash. i have everything i need in my garage including hot water. So it would be easier for them to just do it at home. I taught them how to wash there cars, they are just to lazy sometimes. Unfortunately for me it bothers me to see there cars dirty more than it bothers them. lol

Make a rule, no wash = no drive :p