PDA

View Full Version : Customer heard sealants ruin paint?? Do they?

Pages : [1] 2

brondondolon
11-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Yesterday I gave a quote for a winter proof package. I use 845 and DP poli coat paint sealant in this package on the paint. He replied back that he heard sealants can damage the paint. I explained the difference between carnuba and sealants but this was news to me. Did paint sealants previously damage paint or are there products that have been known to do damage? It may sound like a stupid question but I dont want to give this guy a wrong answer. Thanks guys.

Setec Astronomy
11-10-2014, 02:08 PM
That's nonsense. Sound like something the dealer told him when they were trying to sell him their razzle dazzle paint protectant...er...sealant.

brondondolon
11-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Thats what I thought but Id hate to be wrong and then be corrected leaving me looking like i dont know what im talking about. I personally never heard such a thing but its better to be safe then sorry.

swanicyouth
11-10-2014, 05:26 PM
This is too funny. There used to be some guy running around saying wax was bad for paint, because it was acidic - or something like that. Then there was another guy who said wax was the cause of paint defects. I can also recall yet another guy who said polishing paint would ruin the "depth" of the paint because it made it thinner.

Now sealants are bad for paint. Too funny.

I heard washing your car is bad for paint. You should just leave all the dirt on there to preserve the finish.

Changing your oil is also bad for your engine. The cylinder bores never will get worn in correctly.

Gotta go now. I have to take the summer air out of my tires - and put the winter air in. Adds 20+ HP.

haris300
11-10-2014, 05:29 PM
This is too funny. There used to be some guy running around saying wax was bad for paint, because it was acidic - or something like that. Then there was another guy who said wax was the cause of paint defects. I can also recall yet another guy who said polishing paint would ruin the "depth" of the paint because it made it thinner.

I heard washing your car is bad for paint. You should just leave all the dirt on there to preserve the finish.

Changing your oil is also bad for your engine. The cylinder bores never will get worn in correctly.

Gotta go now. I have to take the summer air out of my tires - and put the winter air in. Adds 20+ HP.

:laughing:

Kamakaz1961
11-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Wow! Some people will believe anything. Let him know if he is not happy with the way his ride looks after you detailed it; I would be more than happy to trade my 1971 Ford Pinto for his ride! I also have an AMC Pacer if he does not want that!

Dr_Pain
11-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Yesterday I gave a quote for a winter proof package. I use 845 and DP poli coat paint sealant in this package on the paint. He replied back that he heard sealants can damage the paint. I explained the difference between carnuba and sealants but this was news to me. Did paint sealants previously damage paint or are there products that have been known to do damage? It may sound like a stupid question but I dont want to give this guy a wrong answer. Thanks guys.

Stupid people ruin paint!:buffing:

Audios S6
11-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Fresh paint arguably could be damaged if it isn't allowed to off gas. But not factory cured paint.

Funny thing about the fresh paint; the very reputable body shop I go to, who is MB and Audi certified, always puts a coat of sealant on the vehicle before returning it. Not sure if their particular process of pa by curing allows it or not, but they have also never told me not to wax for XX days, and they know I'm a fanatic.

brondondolon
11-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Yeah he was really cool about it just unsure so i reassured him there is no need to worry and everything is cool now.

expdetailing
11-10-2014, 08:20 PM
The sealant can ruin the dull appearance of the paint.

SameGuy
11-10-2014, 08:23 PM
LOL thread winner. ^^^

FUNX650
11-10-2014, 08:56 PM
The only "ruination" from using Sealants on vehicles's paints that I can think of is that:
After their application and cure time: it has been said that they may compromise on certain visual results---the kind of visual results that are considered to usually be attainable only through the use of Carnauba Waxes. "Warmth and Depth" comes to mind.

But, IMO, noticing these differences, if there are any, may depend on each individual's level of visual acuity; and from what I'll refer to as learned-inferences.

Bob

EVOlved
11-10-2014, 09:48 PM
I must have ruined my new car by now since I have applied it multiple times to it!!

O wait I looked outside it still looks the best out of any car within a 2 mile radius, at least!!

Moldavite
11-10-2014, 11:15 PM
i already had someone told me coating will damage paint too:doh:
i just like erm... walk away
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Belphegor
11-11-2014, 12:02 AM

Pardon the interruption, sir, but I believe you're behind the curve. I swapped my summer air out for my winter air when it first hit 55 degrees, which was about 3 weeks ago. I have true piece of mind now Im the MAN