PDA

View Full Version : How do you work D151?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Grifffx4
11-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Do you do several section passes per 2' x 2' or do you apply it like a LSP and go over the whole vehicle quickly and then wipe off?

What is your preferred pad?

I guess I know it really can depend on what your trying to accomplish but I'm wondering what is most common use.

After all, I don't think many try to do a lot of correction with D151 even though it may be possible. But then again maybe I'm wrong.

parttimer
11-09-2014, 07:33 PM
D151 has the most correction abilities of any AIO so people probably aren't using it at a LSP, not to mention it doesn't last long. I use it with either a white or blue hybrid with 4 section passes.

dcjredline
11-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I use white or sometimes orange. Also do 4 or so section passes in the 2x2 section before moving on.

SameGuy
11-09-2014, 07:51 PM
D151 has quite a bit of correction ability -- I think it's a 6 on Todd Helme's aggressiveness chart -- and it finishes really well. Mike Phillips has posted numerous articles here about using an AIO for turning around some pretty rough daily drivers, and D151 is considered a go-to AIO for many of us.

Circa40
11-09-2014, 08:03 PM
Do you make 4 section passes then wipe off or just leave it and move on to the next section then wipe off all at the end?

brondondolon
11-09-2014, 08:49 PM
I use white or sometimes orange. Also do 4 or so section passes in the 2x2 section before moving on.

Same:iagree:

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-09-2014, 08:50 PM
I normally use Green or Orange foam pad.

SameGuy
11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Do you make 4 section passes then wipe off or just leave it and move on to the next section then wipe off all at the end?

I do as many passes as it takes. When I was getting used to a DA a few years ago I asked similarly and was told to just work the product and I'd eventually get a feel for it. And I did.

Always do a test spot, it'll help you determine the pad choice, speed, weight and number of passes. Depending on the paint type and condition, I'd start with a white pad and lower speed, say 4.5 on the PC, with medium weight and slow arm speed (~1.5" per second), and check my results after four passes. Even with an AIO, there are plenty of variables for the operator to control.

SameGuy
11-09-2014, 08:59 PM
PS: except for LSP or D301 and similar, I always wipe off after each section, even with AIO. I can always do a final buff later.

Znig22
11-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Good advice has been stated already. I really like the product myself for a AIO, its extremely easy to remove after 4-5 sections passes. I have noticed it doesn't like high temp surfaces and can dry up rather quickly. I don't use AIO's to much but it is my go to when in need.

Grifffx4
11-09-2014, 10:10 PM
I guess I figured most wouldn't use D151 to take a lot of time and use it more for just a production product. I know it has a lot of cut but just thought it as a quick pass (not as quick as a LSP) product to polish mostly.

Who uses a MF pad? Cutting pad or Finishing pad?

SameGuy
11-09-2014, 10:12 PM
I use Meg's MF cutting pad when I want a little more cut with a product than an orange, but in so doing I'm going in knowing I'll do a finishing step on top of it.

allenk4
11-10-2014, 12:00 AM
D151 has quite a bit of correction ability -- I think it's a 6 on Todd Helme's aggressiveness chart -- and it finishes really well. Mike Phillips has posted numerous articles here about using an AIO for turning around some pretty rough daily drivers, and D151 is considered a go-to AIO for many of us.

Do you think D151 is two steps higher than M205 which is a 4 on the Autopia Chart?

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

allenk4
11-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Art Hernandez uses D151 some, hopefully he will chime in soon

SameGuy
11-10-2014, 12:41 AM
I don't think I can answer that, the 11 step granularity of the chart makes it pretty generalized. With different pads and technique, there is overlap. I'm sure if I had an IKEA robot to test with the same arm speed, pressure, DA and pads on the same panel, I guess it's possible the cut is two steps higher. I put the cut somewhere in between D301 and M205, so perhaps. I haven't used most of the products on the scale.