PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Remover

Irishwoodchuck
11-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a question so my camry is starting to pick up some light surface scratches from people banging into it. Im looking for a a scratch remover that will do the job that is easy to use. I have both griots garage buffers but don't want to spend the money on scratch removers that don't work.
Also looking for products that correct imperfections in the glass

let me know

Ben

Ryan509
11-09-2014, 05:38 PM
I hear great things about Meguairs M105 compound followed up with M205 finishing polish.

You could also consider using Menzerna Si1500 OR Fg400 as a 1 step depending on how much correction you want.

As for glass, what kind of imperfections are you looking to fix?

Irishwoodchuck
11-09-2014, 05:41 PM
I do have the menzena polishes and I may have to try the m105 and m205

The glass im not sure it looks like the wiper blade left a mark on the window.

DetailKitty
11-09-2014, 05:49 PM
If they are LIGHT scratches you won't even need the 105... just go with 205 :dblthumb2:

cardaddy
11-09-2014, 06:44 PM
If you have Menzerna, use them. Depending on how hard your paint is, and what types/colors of pad(s) you have you can get away with anything from Menz 2000, 1500, 1000, or even FG400.

One thing for sure.... I *WOULD NOT* suggest jumping on 105 if you've never worked with it, AND you only have minor scratches/swirls. For deep correction 105 is great, but the learning curve can be very unforgiving. Better yet to go with Ultimate Compound, or if you really want to use a SMAT based compound that cuts like crazy try 101. Not that 101 isn't expensive, (much more expensive than 105) just that it's both good, and not hard to work with. Then again, if you're buying Menzerna 101 isn't that much of a stretch. :)

Irishwoodchuck
11-10-2014, 08:43 AM
I like the idea of Meguires 101and then finishing with the menzerna

cardaddy
11-10-2014, 04:27 PM
I like the idea of Meguires 101and then finishing with the menzerna

You wouldn't be the first one. :props:

Nothing, I do mean NOTHING cuts like SMAT based products going in. Just as good ol' fashion DAT based products tend to finish out better. :)

allenk4
11-11-2014, 12:40 AM
You wouldn't be the first one. :props:

Nothing, I do mean NOTHING cuts like SMAT based products going in. Just as good ol' fashion DAT based products tend to finish out better. :)

Interesting, I found the opposite

For me FG400 cuts harder during the 1st two passes ("going in") than M105, but the FG400 falls off on subsequent passes as the agglomerates abrasives breakdown into their smaller component pieces

For me, M105 cuts the same on the first 3-4 passes until it starts to pick up too much abraded CC and the cut falls off

I agree the DAT Compounds so tend to finish down better than SMAT

I would not extend this to all polishes though as many SMAT polishes obviously finish down extremely well when paired with the right pad

JMP
11-11-2014, 12:52 AM
OK...How about Wolfgang Finishing Polish... The question was LIGHT needed work....Am I off here?? I am trying MIKE'S KISS.

Mike Phillips
11-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Just as good ol' fashion DAT based products tend to finish out better.

The way I say it is that DAT polishes will tend to finish down better more consistently on a wider spectrum of paint systems.

:)

Mike Phillips
11-11-2014, 07:46 AM
OK...How about Wolfgang Finishing Polish...

The question was LIGHT needed work....Am I off here??

The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze, which is not a glaze but a Fine Cut Polish, would probably be to fine of a cutting polish for the damage the OP is likely working on.

The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover is a Medium Cut Polish and would probably do the job and finish down LSP ready for most people on most cars.

I am trying MIKE'S KISS.

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

Which is a very good approach when working on clearcoat finishes that are thinner than a 3M Post-it Note.

See page 4 & 5 of my first how-to book.

:xyxthumbs:

Irishwoodchuck
11-28-2014, 11:37 AM
What about uber compound

brondondolon
11-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Yeah my vote hands down goes to wolfgang uber/ orange pad, wolfgang TSR/white pad, wolfgang finishing glaze/white pad, collinite 845/blue pad or by hand. This combo in unrivaled in my book. Heres a pic of what it can do.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/brondondolon/IMAG1049_1_1.png

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/brondondolon/mercedeswlogo.png

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u247/brondondolon/a96350c2-393b-44d5-a1fb-dd5e36fa986c.jpg

Keep in mind on the side by side pic that car was is TERRIBLE condition and some of the little scratches you see could not be safely removed.

Irishwoodchuck
12-15-2014, 08:06 AM
So I'm working on my gf 14 year old civic she just bought. I have cleaned it 2 bucket system then I dryed it and upon drying I've noticed there are still a lot of water residue spots and maybe some old tar spots. I need something to remove the residue that's been on there for god knows how long. And then I'm going to polish it with menz and finish with klasse as she's not the best about washing it.

Any thoughts?