PDA

View Full Version : How to pick a brand

Pages : [1] 2 3

superdave99gt
11-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Ok so I am decent at cleaning, polishing, etc but nothing like the guys on auto geek.

My question is, how do you guys know what brand or product to use? I understand the aggressiveness of each but is it like some people love fords and some Chevys and some like pinnacle and some meg or 3m? I look in the online store and am a little blown away on what I should use or how to pick. I'm just the home auto enthusiast and none of my vehicles are black. Lol

Also, on a side note, is there a reason that auto geek doesn't carry Adams? I ask because I live in co and my neighbor is friends with Adam himself and he always says let him know if I need anything but I'm skeptical since it's not carried by ag

Thanks

rebanee
11-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Overwhelming isn't it? For me I'm just a layman wanting to care for his car. I decided to select the most popular brands, and review each of any available review about the product. I also put into consideration my available budget for a particular project. I narrowed my search Optimum, Meguiar's, Chemical Guys and DP.

Good luck.

Ryan509
11-09-2014, 12:06 PM
As mike phillips says, KISS (Keep it simple simon) I was overwhelmed at first to. Blackfire/pinnacle/menzerna/Meguairs/Wolfgang compound/polish all do the same thing essentially. but can have different effects on different kinds of paint. They also have different prices. I've personally only used Menzerna FG400/SF4000 & i'm happy with it. Has a very long work time and great cut/finish. I've even used FG400 as a 1 step. I know others will give you more of an insight towards the other products but if your just a hobbiest, in my eyes find a product you like and stick with it.

Cheap price and good product-Meguairs
Tad higher price and exceptionally good product- Menzerna or Blackfire

SYMAWD
11-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Also, on a side note, is there a reason that auto geek doesn't carry Adams? I ask because I live in co and my neighbor is friends with Adam himself and he always says let him know if I need anything but I'm skeptical since it's not carried by ag

Thanks

It's along the lines of Adam's only wanting to be distributed by themselves and small companies to ensure that their customer service and personal help with the customers is top notch. Honestly I think AG could provide that, but as far as I know, it's not in Adam's business plans.

With that said, they are great products.

Shortspark
11-09-2014, 12:19 PM
I've bought everything over the years - and I mean everything! The only way to find what suits your particular paint and color is experimenting. Eventually you will find the exact look and protection period you want. I started picking brands from reviews here and at other forums. I kept hearing about the excellent performance and value of Duragloss products and tried them. I was sold! But then I heard about Sonax and had to try their stuff. Doubly sold! Wolfgang, Optimum, Meguiars, PoorBoys, etc., etc. - sold on each and every one of them. I don't think any of these top manufactures make anything but good products these days.

When I got my new Mercedes and paid and extra $1600 for a special option paint called "Diamond White", I knew I would probably have to first try the products made in Germany. For years the Germans (such as P21S, Sonax, etc.) have made waxes, paint cleaners and sealants with their cars in mind. I have settled on P21S paint cleanser and Sonax Net Polymer Shield/Brilliant Shine/Wheel Cleaner Plus as my go-to products. They just seem to "work" with this Mercedes Brilliant White paint.

No doubt it is a time consuming process (and an expensive one) but by experimenting with as many products as you can you will find what is best for you and your car - there is no substitution for it.

superdave99gt
11-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Alright well thanks for the replies. That is kind of what I thought, that they would all be good but still a hard choice.

At least everything I work on is newer so that helps.

Shortspark... What is p21s? Is that a brand or specific product? One of my cars is an s4 with some crazy baby blue paint. It's a solid paint but has a lot of depth to it like a black car.

superdave99gt
11-09-2014, 12:27 PM
It's along the lines of Adam's only wanting to be distributed by themselves and small companies to ensure that their customer service and personal help with the customers is top notch. Honestly I think AG could provide that, but as far as I know, it's not in Adam's business plans.

With that said, they are great products.

Good to know, thanks

Shortspark
11-09-2014, 12:28 PM
P21S can be found here: P21s, P21S wax, P21S Auto Care Products, p21s best show car wax, P21s concours carnauba wax, P21S wheel cleaners, p21s windshield wash booster,, p21s (http://www.autogeek.net/p21s.html)

Moldavite
11-09-2014, 12:46 PM
that goes down to personal reference:
example... bottles/label/looks/sprayer/colors/scent/reviews/trust :)

allenk4
11-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Always remember to get your Free Sample with any order over $50 on AGO

Great way to try new stuff

FUNX650
11-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Over the years:
Meguiar's common-sense-approach towards marketing their vast array of products, has always made the decision for me to pick their Brand quite enjoyable.

Now:
That is not to say that when other Brands utilize the same Meguiar's marketing skill-set...that I don't consider picking from their lineup of products as well.

Bob

SYMAWD
11-09-2014, 01:18 PM

over $95

superdave99gt
11-09-2014, 01:22 PM

Where is this? I see one for spending 95 but I don't need to spend anywhere near that. I already have the PC and pads, towels etc, so 50 is reachable, 95 probably not for what I need.

superdave99gt
11-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Lol, my bad, didn't see pg 2 before I replied

gregory1420
11-09-2014, 01:25 PM
i was in the same boat you are. I did a lot of research on AG and looked over reviews. so far I am happy with what I picked. but research and read reviews for what your looking for..

as far as Adams stuff I've used there stuff and some of there stuff is great or just as good as stuff on AG or other sites. but by no means is there stuff the best out there.. I like there shampoo and there in and out spray.. but there are some of there stuff that I don't care for also..

good luck.. use the search fuction and you will learn a lot on here read read and then do some more reading...