PDA

View Full Version : M105 in rock chips

Pages : [1] 2

kishmack
11-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Hey guys. This is my first post, I've been lingering around this site picking up some really great info over the past 6 months. Awesome forum!

I have an 07 VW GTI in black magic pearl. I bought it 6 months ago and did my first serious detail/paint correction just after I got it. I clayed it, used Meguiars M105, M205 and Meguiars Liquid Carnauba wax. It turned out great! Except...

After I used M105 I noticed ALL the rock chips were white! The compound must have dried in the chips and I couldn't get it out. I immediately tried some quick detailer and a nylon brush, didn't work. Then I tried a heavy IPA dilution and a brush, didn't work. I just left it alone and finished polishing and waxing. I figured I'd just live with it and maybe a number of car washes will get it out.

It's been about 4-5 months since I did all this and the compound is still imbedded in these rock chips. There are thousands of chips in my front end! It's driving me nuts.

So the other day I tried mineral spirits (someone recommended it on here) and a nylon brush, didn't work. Then I tried a diluted mixture of Zep Citrus Degreaser with a brush and that didn't get it out either!

I don't know what else to do. I don't really want to get the front end resprayed. I'm thinking of just spending a few days and touching them all up with some touch up paint.

I've posted some photos below from my phone.

What do you guys think I should do?

This is after paint correction. Looks pretty good.

Here are the rock chips. It's like this all over the front end.

FUNX650
11-09-2014, 12:32 PM
P

don't know what else to do. I don't really want to get the front end resprayed. I'm thinking of just spending a few days and touching them all up with some touch up paint.

IMHO:
Putting touch-up paint on top of paint chips that are already full of a compound is an exercise in futility. The chips have to be completely cleaned out first.

•So...In this case:
"Like removes Like" probably is not a viable option.

•Sounds like you need to get some "panel wipes" similar to
the paint-prep chemicals that paint and body shops use:
-DuPont PrepSol
-3M Prep Solvent
-Wurth Clean Solve
-Klean Strip Prep-All

Bob

kishmack
11-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I know it has to be fully cleaned out for the paint to adhere properly. I just wasn't sure what product I would need, I would think that what I've tried so far should've done it.

Dumb question. Are those paint prep chemicals safe for paint? It won't fade/haze or strip the finish?

Thanks

allenk4
11-09-2014, 12:52 PM
...and a toothpick

Steam sometimes helps too

Detailing by M
11-09-2014, 12:53 PM
paint them with Dr Color Chip. prep, wipe, done.

allenk4
11-09-2014, 01:23 PM
paint them with Dr Color Chip. prep, wipe, done.

What technique are you using to remove the M105 from the chips, during you prep process?

greatwhitenorth
11-09-2014, 01:28 PM
...and a toothpick

Steam sometimes helps too

+1 for steam
Works great removing polish around badging as well if you polish inside the lettering with a q-tip

kishmack
11-09-2014, 01:41 PM
+1 for steam
Works great removing polish around badging as well if you polish inside the lettering with a q-tip

Is there a cheaper route for creating steam? I don't have a steamer.

toycar18
11-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Are you sure that is actually polish?

Maybe the primer underneath is lighter??

Surprised that a heavy ipa used immediately after didn't take care of it.

I have a black vehicle that has tiny chips that look similar but it is just the chip....

Use a clothes iron to create steam.

kishmack
11-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Are you sure that is actually polish?

Maybe the primer underneath is lighter??

Use a clothes iron to create steam.

When I first got the car the rock chips were all touched up black. Immediately after using M105 they all turned white. The DA polisher wouldn't have gotten into the chips and removed the touch up paint?

70% of the chips are very light, doesn't look like they'd be deep enough to get down to primer/metal.

ShaunD
11-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Is there a cheaper route for creating steam? I don't have a steamer.

More first thought was "like removes like" but, like Bob said that may not be a feasible option. Did you try going over with M205 on a MF cloth? Or a paint cleansing lotion or cleaner wax? Black Wow's Pre-Wow may work as well, if you have any or someone near you does. Tar-X or Tarminator may help.
As far a cheap sources of steam, some irons have steam features, or a clothes steamer. Hot(nearly boiling) water may work similarly to steam, but will be less safe and harder to work with by hand, than an actual steamer. I have a Bissell lift-off steamer mop that I got from Ollie's bargain outlet(similar to Big Lots or the like), and I paid less than $100 for it. Might be a good investment either way since it has endless uses with detailing and residential uses.

kishmack
11-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Guys, the more I think and read about it I think it may just be the primer showing through.

I can't imagine that the compound wouldn't have come out by now.

Maybe polishing with M105 removed the touch up paint that was on there. I used an orange pad. Touch up paint is usually very thin to begin with.

I think I'm going to give Dr Color Chip a try. Do you guys think I should wait until spring when I do my next round of swirl removing before I touch it up?

ShaunD
11-09-2014, 03:28 PM
That was a thought of mine as well. But my ADD got in the way of me mentioning it. Is it more gray than white?

Hazcat
11-09-2014, 03:31 PM
That's freaky....

kishmack
11-09-2014, 03:34 PM
That was a thought of mine as well. But my ADD got in the way of me mentioning it. Is it more gray than white?

It looks white against the black. It may be light gray? I'm not sure. All I know is that I have a lot of rock chips lol. It's gonna take a while to fill all of them.