PDA

View Full Version : I need Wolfgang aluminum polishing advice.

moab
11-09-2014, 01:17 AM
I ordered the 16oz Wolfgang Metallwork aluminum compound, the 16oz Wolfgang Metallwork fine aluminum polish, the 7.5 inch Wolfgang hook and loop durowool twisted cutting pad and the 7.5 inch 50/50 wool acrylic polishing pad from Autogeek(I have these items now).

I need to polish the aftermarket uncoated aluminum rims on my 1995 Suburban. These rims are in good condition, but they need to be polished. They have three inch circles in the rims which I need to clean also.

What buffer, backing plate and other items would you buy to polish these rims with? I will not be using the buffer very much at home, so I do not need the highest quality tool.

Thanks in advance

Crispy
03-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Metal polishing is best done with metal specific wheels and compounds. I use a sisal wheel and tripoli compound as start point. You can go more aggressive or less by changing wheels or compounds. Sometimes I even go to 800 grit sandpaper and the sisal/tripoli will "buff" it out. You can get a mini kit from Princess Auto here in Canada. After you remove the defects you can polish with metal polish to desired shine. Be warned metal polishing is extremely messy due to oxidation turns black when polishing. You need lots of rags (I use paper towels with the early stages). After polished clean with multiple applications of CarPro Eraser (lots of oil in the compounds so need to get that off before applying sealant and LSP).

g35_coupe
03-02-2015, 10:23 PM
You could probably get away with using a Powerball on a drill (assuming it has a good battery life) to get inside the 3 in openings and old t-shirts to hand polish hard to reach areas.