PDA

View Full Version : Rain and Sun Damage To Paint

johnbaer
11-05-2014, 06:49 PM
I have a 1970 Checker Marathon wagon, which was painted in ’98, by the previous owner (with some type of single stage paint). I’ve owned it since 2000 and it’s been in the rain plenty of times, but recently the sun came out after it rained. Two hours later, there were still beads of rain all over the car and when I wiped them off, there was a faded spot everywhere that a bead of water had been. (I’m unable to upload a photo onto this website, but it looks BAD.)

The water had NOT dried, so these are not mineral spots. It’s as if the rain beads focused the sun’s rays onto the paint like magnifying glasses. I had a good layer of Meguiar Carnuba wax on the car, which is still there. A detail guy came over and looked at it, but he had no idea how to correct the problem. He tried several compounds, which did nothing.

The only sure solution I can think of is to re-paint the car, but I would much rather not have to do that. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

John

longdx
11-05-2014, 08:45 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

This is the best tutorial I have seen for restoring single stage paint. The good news is that your paint will be able to be corrected..

johnbaer
11-06-2014, 09:36 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

This is the best tutorial I have seen for restoring single stage paint. The good news is that your paint will be able to be corrected..

Thank you.

Mike Phillips
11-10-2014, 08:23 AM
I have a 1970 Checker Marathon wagon,

I've actually worked on one of these before.... dang long car...

which was painted in ’98, by the previous owner (with some type of single stage paint). I’ve owned it since 2000 and it’s been in the rain plenty of times, but recently the sun came out after it rained.

Two hours later, there were still beads of rain all over the car and when I wiped them off, there was a faded spot everywhere that a bead of water had been.

I had the same experience back in 1977 or so and share it in this video....

Mike Phillips Facebook Live Q&A 9-25-14

I’m unable to upload a photo onto this website, but it looks BAD.)

Working with pictures in the forum world takes a little self-educating, I find most people don't have the patience to learn or teach themselves and then they just "attach" pictures, which is kind of lame.

The water had NOT dried, so these are not mineral spots. It’s as if the rain beads focused the sun’s rays onto the paint like magnifying glasses. I had a good layer of Meguiar Carnauba wax on the car, which is still there. A detail guy came over and looked at it, but he had no idea how to correct the problem. He tried several compounds, which did nothing.

Get a bottle or two of Meguiar's #7 and rub the paint down with a heavy application and let the oils soak in overnight.

If this doesn't help it or even fix it then probably nothing will as the paint pigments have become "unstable".

That's a category and a term in my how-to book under the chapter,

Paint Condition Categories.

:)