PDA

View Full Version : What to ask for?

buddy01
11-05-2014, 06:43 PM
So my family has been asking for a Christmas list for weeks now and I have come up with nothing. First thing I knkw my family asks extremely early for list so they can get the shopping over with. So I figured maybe some detailing things since I am getting into it a lot. Although I have done mostly reading I think I am ready to jump into it!

With that I came up with this:

Dual action polisher (PC, Rupes, or flex?)
Microfiber towels
Microfiber wash mit
Polishes/waxes/sealants
Power washer
Foam canon
2 bucket wash system

Now that's all I thought of but have questions with them. First which is a good polisher to look at for your first one but that is good? Power washer, are they a must? I love the foam canon you can use on them but saw you can just get a foam gun for the hose, so what do you guys think? 2 bucket wash, I was debating on just getting this myself, but was wondering can I just get two 5 gallon buckets from homedepot and then buy grit guard for them?

Do you guys have any other suggestions on maybe what to get? I was thinking of clay bar as well but wasn't sure what would be best, clay bar or the clay mit? Any help I appreciate!

.brian.
11-05-2014, 06:55 PM
First which is a good polisher to look at for your first one but that is good?

Griots Garage 6"

can I just get two 5 gallon buckets from homedepot and then buy grit guard for them?

I have read some people that had issues with the HD/Lowes buckets and the Grit Guards not fitting properly.

I was thinking of clay bar as well but wasn't sure what would be best, clay bar or the clay mit?

Can't go wrong with the Meguiar's kit, IMO.

Moldavite
11-05-2014, 08:30 PM
this:
Grit Guard® Dual Bucket Washing System - CLEAR (http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard-wash-system.html)

JMP
11-05-2014, 09:52 PM
I am going for broke....Flex 3401, microfibers many and mixed, Wookie Fist mit, WOLFGANG Polishihes and Pinnacle Souveran Wax, Electric 1900 PSI High pressure washer, Foam CANNON, (no gun)..2 bucket..OK..Clay with the best..many... Meguiars's is a good start... And if you are a really good boy...VX Steamer!!!!

mswerb
11-05-2014, 09:56 PM
I'd just ask for some kind of gift card. This way you get the right products that you want. Having a non detailer get you supplies could go wrong. How old are you that people are Christmas shopping for you????

buddy01
11-06-2014, 09:37 PM
My family is big with every holiday, I think my family just likes buying gifts because we get gifts for almost every holiday, no clue why. Age I'm 26, and as I said my family is just weird like that and like to give gifts. Christmas is a big holiday for us so that typical image of presents under tree has to happen regards of age to them. But it's not like I don't give them gifts because I do. We also celebrate Christmas as well by we go to the army base near by (about 1.5 hrs) and we pick a family in need, we have been doing a family for past couple years who has 5 kids whose mother has cancer bad and the husband is back home to be their for family. So we get a list of their kids likes, and the parents and we buy them and wrap gifts. They have no clue who is doing it and we will never say who because we don't want them to feel obligated by any means. Christmas is not about gifts it's about being with your family and having fun. My family just adds gifts as well lol.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! The gift card is a good idea because statement you said. I just know my aunt espically doesn't do that so I'll give her the ideas suggested above!

whavens
11-06-2014, 09:53 PM
If you go with the GG don't forget to go with a 5" backing plate and plenty of pads. I have that setup and it is great for the beginner. But the new Meguiars might be nice too. The GG does have a lifetime warranty though.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

cardaddy
11-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Get the GG6 and the Meguiar's 5½" Microfiber Correction Kit. That kit comes with a 5" backing plate. The GG6 is a time proven machine that many a weekend warrior and pro alike have done all manner of correction with. PLUS it has a lifetime warranty! :dblthumb2:

Buckets, YES, go to Lowes and get 2 silver ones, and 2 blue ones. Then; order no less than 4 grit guards. Mark your buckets; CLEAN RINSE WATER, CLEAN SOAP WATER, WHEELS ONLY. Put 2 grit guards in the rinse bucket, 1 in the soap bucket, 1 in your wheel bucket (or 2 in the soap bucket). Then use the 4th bucket to store your various brushes etc.

Before putting them in your bucket(s) you can turn them over and drill a 1/8" hole in all four sides about ¼" from the bottom of the fins. Then you can take a small plastic wire tie and hook them together with the fins turned on the top one to be in between where the bottom ones are. You might also want to get some large fishing weights and a hot glue gun and add weight to each pair. (I've had a problem with them wanting to float, even when paired together!)

Instead of messing with a foam gun or cannon up front, get PADS. Not just 6 or 8 but more like TWO DOZEN. No need to mess with 6½" ones, just go for the smaller 5½" units. You'll need 3~4 (or more) orange, white, green, blue at least. White you can use for compounding AND polishing so it's easy enough to get 6 of them, (flat, CCS, hybrid, you name it).

If you really do want a foam dispensing device you might do a Google search for "Butchers Foam Gun" (if you can find it) as it's the very same Gilmour gun at half the price that you'll find on "detailing sites". :D Personally I like my cannon better than the gun because it works a LOT BETTER. Going for that, you'd get one like the Blackfire unit (or similar). The pressure washer doesn't need to be big to work that puppy either. Something along the lines of a 1500~1700psi electric will be all you need.

Towels, you want TOWELS. Go to Microfiber Tech and go nuts. Check out The Rag Company as well. If you call Microfiber Tech tell Ian or Dan I sent ya'. :xyxthumbs: Buying in bulk is the only way to go! Whether that means you're only buying 20 or buying a case. Buying on "detailing sites" will break the bank IN A HURRY. (If you can buy a case of your most used towels, like the 360GSM dual-plush you'll get them for half the price that you'll pay for a couple dozen.) :props: Then again.... that's 180 towels! :laughing: (Bet you can find someone to buy a few off ya' though.) ;)

While you're at Microfiber Tech... look HARD at their 530gsm towels. Pick up a dozen AT LEAST and you'll be glad you did. Also, their Korean edgeless 500's are nice for LSP (they are listed @ 470 but are actually over a 500gsm towel). If they have them in stock, get a couple of the Korean waffle weave drying towels. They are a steal!

Get a BUNCH of generic Meguiar's spray bottles. AutoGeek has a 6 pack really cheap and they are good bottles! You'll find out that 2 dozen will get used up pretty darned quick.

Chemicals, lots and lots of chemicals. That'll be compounds, polishes, spray waxes, quick detail sprays, window cleaner, LOTS of shampoo's, and LOTS of rinseless wash products..... you name it.

Along those lines:
Meguiar's 101, 205, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish
If you get the Microfiber Correction Kit you'll get D301 and D302 both of which are VERY GOOD. Over the last 18 months D301 has become my favorite all around compound.
Menzerna FG400, 1000, 2000, 4000

Feeling froggy? Wolfgang Uber 3.0 compound, but it's EXPENSIVE (just as their polishes are) but they are darned good. (Better than Menzerna????? Hmmmmm):dunno:

Sealants; Meguiar's M21 2.0, Menzerna Power Lock, WOLFGANG 3.0 (not necessarily in that order) ;)

Shampoo: Mr. Pink, CG Honeydew, (for the foam device)
Easy favorite, Duragloss 901/902 and even Meguiar's Hyper Wash or Shampoo Plus

Brushes, you NEED brushes. Get the large and small Daytona wheel brushes. Get at least the large Wheel Woolie, if not the large and medium. The small one is sorta' useless though. Mothers makes a nice set of long handle brushes, GET THEM. Look into the Carrand stiff wheel/tire brushes. Oh, they also have a 2-pack of Carrand tire gel applicator brushes. Those are worth their weight in gold when it comes to applying tire gel. You'll need a few random interior brushes as well, carpet, seats, etc.

Boars hair, 1", maybe one for exterior work/wheels one for working around paint when washing, and maybe a smaller one for interior work.

Ahhhhhh..... but are we at $2000 yet? :laughing:

buddy01
11-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Cardaddy- that is amazing lol

Let me ask you guys, for the polisher I see everyone is recommending the Griots. Is the griots a good beginner/ eventually long time user or should I look at the new meguiars? Or even the flex?