PDA

View Full Version : Removing Scratches From Clear Plastic

rweekley
11-05-2014, 02:53 PM
How you all doing?? Been awhile since I last posted, but have I have question regarding the removal of scratches from clear plastic.

I know there will be a lot of suggestions, but what would be the best product to use??

Planning on using a Dremel with a polishing pad, since the area is so small, but what would be a good OTC product??

I have M105 and I think I remember others using this on plastic????

Thoughts????

expdetailing
11-05-2014, 03:26 PM
First, please tell us which platic piece(s) you're polishing, as I think, they should be appraoched diffferently. For example, instrument cluster guage plastics vs. tail lights. etc.

rweekley
11-05-2014, 03:53 PM
First, please tell us which platic piece(s) you're polishing, as I think, they should be appraoched diffferently. For example, instrument cluster guage plastics vs. tail lights. etc.

Instrument panel

expdetailing
11-05-2014, 05:03 PM
If it's the clear plastic that cover's your gauges, i.e. speedometer, tach, gas, etc. I wouldn't try to polish it. It's too soft to be polished, IMO. I think you would just induce so many fine scratches that it would look hazy afterwards.
Now, if your talking about plastic trim around your instrument gauges, then try a very fine polish for plastic. I don't have any recommendations other than Meg's PlastiX. It's the only one I've used, and I used it for the outside of the vehicle.

allenk4
11-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Can the section be disassembled for polishing?

The dash on my old Tahoe was easily unseated, exposing a few screws that held the bezels in in front of the plastic protecting the gauges

Do a google search for an exploded diagram of the dash:

OEM replacement dash 200X Chevy Blank instrument cluster

HVAC Temperature Control Panel/Instrument Panel for 2009 GMC Yukon (http://www.gmpartsnow.com/auto-parts/2009/gmc/yukon/denali-trim/6-2l-v8-flex-engine/body-cat/instrument-panel-scat/gc074355-assy)

A replacement for my truck is $34

The Guz
11-05-2014, 08:26 PM
If you are just looking to clean up the plastic Mothers plastic polish works really well. It's not as abrasive as Plastx. All you need is a microfiber towel and then gently go over it.

Romans5.8
11-05-2014, 11:32 PM
So, I picked up a 2014 Mustang, used. It had the pretty common issue of a clouded, heavily scratched up radio display. I removed the bezel and used a microfiber towel and Detailers Pro headlight restorer. That may or may not be the ideal solution; but it's what I had on the shelf and it worked!