PDA

View Full Version : Will sanding remove this from headlights?

Pages : [1] 2

rquino2000
11-05-2014, 01:32 PM
This is from my 2011 BMW. The headlights have these "mini cracks" all over. Will a headlight restoration kit address this? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Setec Astronomy
11-05-2014, 01:36 PM
At first blush, that looks like crazing in the lens itself, although possibly it's just in the factory coating, in which case it may be able to be sanded off. If it's in the lens, then sure you can sand them down, who knows how far they go, and you are likely to have an optically distorted lens, that's if they don't go basically all the way through.

MD Detailing
11-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Those are hairline cracks in the Headlight lens. You will have to sand very very deep to pull those out if you can. Start with 400 for a while then cut up to 600 and finish with 1500 then heavy compound and cleaner wax. If this doesn't work then just suggest new lens.

allenk4
11-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Save yourself a lot of time and add 2000 grit to the process above ^

Especially if you will be compounding with a DA

Curious why a Cleaner Wax is suggested after sanding and compounding? The surface should not have any contamination in it at that point

SameGuy
11-05-2014, 02:03 PM
It's three years old. Don't touch it, head to the dealership and have them replace the offending parts while you sip cappuccino and read Forbes.

umana2482
11-05-2014, 03:42 PM
It's three years old. Don't touch it, head to the dealership and have them replace the offending parts while you sip cappuccino and read Forbes.

Agree, have them replaced.

Don't think you will be able to remove them.

rquino2000
11-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the responses. The dealer offered to do a headlight restoration since they diagnose the failure is not a defect. (whatever that means)

allenk4
11-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the responses. The dealer offered to do a headlight restoration since they diagnose the failure is not a defect. (whatever that means)

Grab a Dictionary, go back to the Dealership and ask them to re-"splain" the situation to you

Restoration: the act or process of returning something to its original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc.

Failure: a fracturing or giving way under stress <structural failure>

Defect: a physical problem that causes something to be less valuable, effective, healthy, etc. : something that causes weakness or failure

Although, it would be fun to see them try to "Buff this Out"

If you agree to let them attempt a "restoration" make sure you are in agreement about what the final look of the lens will be

Setec Astronomy
11-06-2014, 08:31 PM
I think the OP was relaying that the dealer found that the failure was not a manufacturing defect, therefore would not be replaced under warranty, so instead they offered to haze them up for him so he can no longer see the failure.

Source: Dealer Dictionary

SameGuy
11-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Hehehehe

It made me laugh out loud, but sadly it's too true.

SameGuy
11-06-2014, 10:17 PM
If it is indeed crazing within the polycarbonate, it is certainly unacceptable on a three year old luxury car. Unless they can prove some form of negligence or unintentional damage caused by improper care, it is most certainly a defect.

rquino2000
11-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Dealers are strange, BMW USA pays for this, but they behave like its coming out of their pockets.

SameGuy
11-09-2014, 09:40 PM
So, new headlamps, or just some Deep Woods Off?

TurboToys
11-09-2014, 09:40 PM

i would go back and ask them if they think it's reasonable to have headlights entirely replaced every 3 years due to cracking...

3 years is way too soon to have headlights do that.

Setec Astronomy
11-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Dealers are strange, BMW USA pays for this, but they behave like its coming out of their pockets.

Years ago GM was caught up in a "scandal" where they were only paying a flat rate for warranty repairs vs. what the dealer's actual rate was. So in areas where the GM rate was lower than the dealer rate, many customers were told that they weren't covered by warranty, because the dealer didn't want to do the repair at a "loss".

After some hullabaloo, GM changed their policy and began to reimburse dealers at their actual rate. Perhaps there is something similar going on with BMW, or perhaps they get some sort of gig based on number of warranty claims that they submit.

One time I had some work done at a bodyshop, and I got some recorded call from some survey company after I got the car back asking about my experience, you know, rate this and that 1-10. I think I pushed 8 for everything, I was just trying to get off the phone.

So a day or two later, I get an angry call from the bodyshop manager telling me I screwed up his rating, why didn't I give him all 10's, if I wasn't happy I should have called him and he would have taken care of it, etc. Like you said, dealers are weird.