PDA

View Full Version : Rim polishing help.

Pages : [1] 2

808_detail_nut
11-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Polishing some welds for my friend and I'm using mothers Meg and aluminum but it has all these small scratches. I'm going by hand with rather light pressure. Do I need to use the billet polish? What can I do to fix this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

808_detail_nut
11-03-2014, 11:00 PM
It's uncoated aluminum.

expdetailing
11-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Most professionals use a felt wheel that atttaches to a grinder or a drill for bare aluminum. Flitz sells them here. Make sure you get good metal polish too. If you go this route, buy a small steel brush to clean your wheel when it gets clogged and dirty.
If you use anything other than a soft cone sponge (that attaches to a drill), or a soft felt wheel, you will marr the surface. For example, if you try to use 0000 steel wool, or Nevr-Dull, you will mar the surface. Just make sure whatever your interface is have it be soft.

808_detail_nut
11-03-2014, 11:20 PM
So I should get the power ball or cone? Would that help with this? I didn't want this to happen that's why I went by hand with a Terry cloth. Maybe use a old mf would be better?

808_detail_nut
11-03-2014, 11:22 PM
I do have the flitz polish ball but wanted to go by hand so this wouldn't happen but it did.

expdetailing
11-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Try the ball together with a dedicated aluminum polish. You don't want any abrasive in the polish, just cleaners. If you have none, try an AIO, or a cleaner wax on the ball.

808_detail_nut
11-04-2014, 03:23 AM
I thought that might help. I'll try klasse aio tomorrow but what can I do for the one that I did already? Should I go pick up a less aggressive polish? If so what would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

Vegas Transplant
11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Polishing some welds for my friend and I'm using mothers Meg and aluminum but it has all these small scratches.

I'm going by hand with rather light pressure. Do I need to use the billet polish? What can I do to fix this?

Heavy pressure. Even hand strokes.
Billet polishes are fine, to ultra-fine cut. Not intended for moderate defects. Probably won't suffice. Mothers Mag and aluminum polish is a great product, but probably will only correct fine to moderate scratches and swirls.

Linking a helpful post.

Meguiar's offers some various metal polishes. They have heavy, medium and finishing. You may want to check them out.

Here's a couple threads if you want to read up on them.

Our new Metal Polishes put to the test (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?57780-Our-new-Metal-Polishes-put-to-the-test)

Metal Polishes (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?56628-Metal-Polishes&highlight=heavy+cut+metal+polish)

808_detail_nut
11-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Thanks for that, been looking at trying out the megs metal polishes. I'm thinking I need the medium and the finishing maybe to help fix the marring. Hope I can find it someplace localy.

Vegas Transplant
11-05-2014, 06:27 AM
Thanks for that, been looking at trying out the megs metal polishes. I'm thinking I need the medium and the finishing maybe to help fix the marring. Hope I can find it someplace localy.

My biggest gripe about the megs product is the quantity/price. Bummer.

If you cut by hand, you'll probably cut each wheel twice, or cut a section, see progress and recut that section again before continuing on to the next section. Either way you'll use up a lot of product.

If I were doing those wheels by hand, I'd allow myself four hours per wheel.

However, if you under promise, and over deliver, you can correct to the 85% range or better, resulting is some serious bling, and off the hook coloring.

Don't forget to seal your work with a long lasting product such as Collinite 845.

KB in MD
11-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Could terry cloth be to course of a material?

808_detail_nut
11-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure but I'm gonna hit the rims today with (i hope wally world has it) megs medium cut then fine then klasse s/g.

Vegas Transplant
11-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Could terry cloth be to course of a material?

No.

I prefer using only 100% cotton towels for aluminum.
I will cut up a bath towel because I don't like the size or lack of plushness from generic 100% cotton shop towels.
On occasion I'll waste a Dollar Store/Walmart mf towel while cutting.

I never use mf on finishing or lsp steps on Al. But that's me.

808_detail_nut
11-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Well I definitely need some work on polishing alloys. Tried everything I could find on it, even rouge and nothing finished without some scratches. Very disappointed. I was so upset I didn't even take any more pictures. Of course I returned it to my friend and he was happy and didn't even notice. Thinking of buying the zeypher kit and trying it out. Anyone use their system?

WA.Detailer
11-13-2014, 11:44 PM
I used to use Eastwood's felt polishing cones and their polishing sticks including red rouge, chucked to an hand held air grinder and had great success on uncoated aluminum wheels... They make a nice thick pointed one out of felt or some type of cloth that rocks in the machine..

Everything turns black because its uncoated aluminum, so you need to wear gloves and try not to inhale all the stuff coming off..

If you are still doing these by hand well, that is probably not working very well - especially if the defects are a little deep..

You need a machine to do any uncoated alloy wheels, in my experience..

Coated with clearcoat wheels just need an appropriate compound or polish that you would use on paintwork..

Sorry this had to happen to you !
Dan F