PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Trim product question for snow.

Pages : [1] 2

brondondolon
11-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Snow has fallen in my area but luckily the next week should be warm. I have a hummer H2 coming up that needs to be winter proofed. The trim is really faded so I dont think CarPro dlux is the best for this. Whats a product i could buy on here since a sale is going on that will not only protect but restore. Keep in mind the trim will be exposed to subzero temps during the night, high UV during the day, and road salt. I understand nothing will last very long in these conditions but under these conditions what would be recommended? Thanks

Setec Astronomy
11-03-2014, 08:48 PM
What makes you think DLux isn't the right product for faded trim?

whavens
11-03-2014, 08:55 PM
I like Black Wow, but haven't had it very long so can't tell you what it is like long-term.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

larry0071
11-03-2014, 10:24 PM
I use Black Wow on my Hummer H3, the black trim going vertical up each side of the windshield is nearly white from UV degrading in its natural state. I use a detail brush to spread the Black Wow on it, I leave it wet and let it cure inside over night. It will last an easy 3-4 months on my non garaged H3, giving a pure black and like new finish.

I have the older/original Black Wow, but they now have an improved Black Wow Pro. Since such a little product goes a long, long way.... it will be another year or two before I upgrade to the new Pro version. I've tried so many products on this trim, and nothing works like the BW on this plastic and lasts so long that you forget how degraded the trim really is. It's amazing stuff.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/8a59fd2bd84be6c378c1b3c3bcda8b81.jpg

expdetailing
11-03-2014, 10:34 PM
I like Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant. On really faded panels, re-application is necessary. If somebody has used this and has found better, please let me know.

eaglefan
11-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Tuf shine plastic restorer+ their clear coat. Best I have used on my avalanche. Use their tire cleaner. Holding up for a long time for me,3 plus yrs. However I do top it with UTTG. It is time for it to get done again. I tried dlux on the bumpers this summer. Looks good, no problems. Ill leave the bumpers alone but the rest will be getting tuf shine again. TS darkens better and is easier to apply, no streaking

brondondolon
11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
What makes you think DLux isn't the right product for faded trim?

With Dlux it doesnt add any shine really. IMO its meant to seal new looking plastic. This plastic is just to far gone to clean and look new again.

I like the idea of black wow but being as its a dye will it hold up to the elements and road salts?

Setec Astronomy
11-04-2014, 10:48 AM
With Dlux it doesnt add any shine really. IMO its meant to seal new looking plastic. This plastic is just to far gone to clean and look new again.

I like the idea of black wow but being as its a dye will it hold up to the elements and road salts?

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. DLux is a trim RESTORER, and although it will have varying results based on the actual surface and its condition. Many of us have restored heavily weathered surfaces with products like DLux or C4.

And Black Wow is a silicone oil--not a dye. IME it will NOT hold up as well as a coating-type restorer, but it's certainly not a dye.

brondondolon
11-04-2014, 10:56 AM
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. DLux is a trim RESTORER, and although it will have varying results based on the actual surface and its condition. Many of us have restored heavily weathered surfaces with products like DLux or C4.

And Black Wow is a silicone oil--not a dye. IME it will NOT hold up as well as a coating-type restorer, but it's certainly not a dye.

Really? Thats great to know. Thank you. I have never used dlux on weathered trim because I always thought it was made more for like new condition trim. Ill give it a shot. Problem is now i have an itch to buy something lol. Maybe ill pick up some flyby30 since i havent used it yet lol. Thank you.

PA DETAILER
11-04-2014, 11:03 AM
I have ran the WGTS thru winter. Come spring, the trim was still looking good. :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
11-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I have ran the WGTS thru winter. Come spring, the trim was still looking good. :xyxthumbs:

+1. As an alternate to the coating-type products (DLux, C4) the trim sealants like WETS, BTTTS, and UTTG are great, and can be a little easier to work with on complicated surfaces.

larry0071
11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Another common Hummer trim fix is spray on bed liner. I may take that route someday on mine.

expdetailing
11-04-2014, 12:54 PM
To those who don't know this, auto parts stores sell trim "paint" relatively inexpensivly, and I've only heard good things about them. I've never tried them for myself, though.

TurboToys
11-04-2014, 01:07 PM
the turtle wax endura shine for trim!

i put some on a test spot on the bed rails of my truck.... 4 months ago, and it's still looking awesome, bout to do the whole truck in this stuff, 3-4 coats of it. looks great, works great, i see no reason to buy anything else as you get a ton of it, its available OTC, and it works.

brondondolon
11-04-2014, 02:03 PM
the turtle wax endura shine for trim!

i put some on a test spot on the bed rails of my truck.... 4 months ago, and it's still looking awesome, bout to do the whole truck in this stuff, 3-4 coats of it. looks great, works great, i see no reason to buy anything else as you get a ton of it, its available OTC, and it works.

How does it work on really weathered trim though?