PDA

View Full Version : If I claybar, do I need to use a cleaner wax/polish before wax?

Pages : [1] 2

comma
11-03-2014, 03:08 PM
OK, after much deliberation I have settled on using collinite 845. I plan on washing, then claybarring with Meguiar's.

My question is, should I go right to applying the collinite after I clay or should I use Meguiar's cleaner wax in between?

Either way, how long should I wait after claybarring to apply collinite, or if I should use the cleaner wax, how long should I wait after that before applying the collinite?

Thanks guys, you have already been a ton of help!

toycar18
11-03-2014, 03:15 PM
If the paint is in good shape go straight to collinite.

If not cleaner wax will remove light oxidation from paint.

comma
11-03-2014, 03:29 PM
If the paint is in good shape go straight to collinite.

If not cleaner wax will remove light oxidation from paint.

The paint looks pretty good. Just some normal marks, scratches, etc. (nothing that cleaner wax would remove I don't think)

Here are some quick pics:

http://i61.tinypic.com/mobhl.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/2h4cgu8.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2aij3gh.jpg

allenk4
11-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Do a Test Spot with the Cleaner Wax to see if you notice any improvement

A Cleaner Wax can remove stains that a clay bar is not designed to address

Take some close-up pictures of it...interested to see your results

Kyle_Elantra
11-03-2014, 03:35 PM
If you're comfortable with the paint, then you can move right on to waxing (provided you've washed away any clay residue).

On that color it may be difficult to tell, but claying almost invariably leads to at least some marring. I usually follow up claying with a fine polish prior to LSP.

comma
11-03-2014, 03:41 PM
If you're comfortable with the paint, then you can move right on to waxing (provided you've washed away any clay residue).

On that color it may be difficult to tell, but claying almost invariably leads to at least some marring. I usually follow up claying with a fine polish prior to LSP.

This is the first I've heard of this. What do you by marring? It harms the clear coat?
Also, am I supposed to wash the car again after claying? Everyone I have talked to has said a rinse at the most.

toycar18
11-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Make sure you read this

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

tenblade2001
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM
What about p21S paint cleanser...is that the same as "cleaning wax"

toycar18
11-03-2014, 04:16 PM
What about p21S paint cleanser...is that the same as "cleaning wax"

It cleans the paint and has a fine polish in it.....also it doesn't contain wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23263-difference-between-cleaner-wax-finishing-wax.html

cardaddy
11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
:iagree:.... if you're comfortable with where the paint is (IE don't want to do any paint correction) then there isn't any reason to (correct it) before just going ahead and hitting it with 845.

Although you REALLY need to at the very least go over it with some sort of QD spray to remove all the schmutz that claying will leave. Claying doesn't leave the surface particularly clean (as far as all the residue). It just removes embedded contaminates.

This would be the perfect time to hit it with a rinseless wash. :props:

Like that color though!:dblthumb2: Used to seeing red, black, dark green, even yellow but don't see metallic gold so much.

VISITOR
11-03-2014, 04:54 PM
with the colder weather upon us fall/winter, no sense in doing a full correction. use a cleaner wax or light polish if the paint is a little dirty/contaminated, then top with the 845...

comma
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
:iagree:.... if you're comfortable with where the paint is (IE don't want to do any paint correction) then there isn't any reason to (correct it) before just going ahead and hitting it with 845.

Although you REALLY need to at the very least go over it with some sort of QD spray to remove all the schmutz that claying will leave. Claying doesn't leave the surface particularly clean (as far as all the residue). It just removes embedded contaminates.

This would be the perfect time to hit it with a rinseless wash. :props:

Like that color though!:dblthumb2: Used to seeing red, black, dark green, even yellow but don't see metallic gold so much.

I don't have a rinseless wash right now. Would washing it again with car soap make sense after claying?

And thanks! Took me a while to find this jeep!

cardaddy
11-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I don't have a rinseless wash right now. Would washing it again with car soap make sense after claying?

And thanks! Took me a while to find this jeep!

You could.... it'd be easier, (and quicker) than the first time around. (For sure!) :props:

I'd suggest getting some rinseless though with cold weather coming up. For one that doesn't add any extra gloss, wax, etc. Meguiar's D114 is GREAT! :dblthumb2: Of course from there you can take your pick of half a dozen others. Here they'll say Blackfire, Pinnacle, DP to start with. And of course there's Ultima "UWWP+" that has threads all of it's own. ;) In years past you've heard more from guys using ONR or ONRWW but these days those are not as popular as they used to be. (Although I still add a bit of ONR to wash media on occasion, and even use ONR as a clay lube.) I can't really recommend Meguiar's D115 though because it's BOUNCING BONKERS expensive and can't really be diluted enough to make it affordable no matter how you 'cut' it. (Pun intended......)

Recently tried Duragloss 931/932 with AquaWax built in and it's NICE!

You did good though.... in the Jeep search.:props:

comma
11-03-2014, 09:43 PM
If I use cleaner wax after the clay, would that work to "clean up" after the clay or should I still wash after the clay/before cleaner wax?

One of the first guys to reply says the clay "mars" the surface. Is this true? What does that mean? Never heard of that with claying.

allenk4
11-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Clay contains abrasives and can mar some paint. Marring is essentially scratches that are not as deep as swirls. Marring can usually be removed with a light polish. Some Cleaner Waxes have enough abrasives in them to remove the defects left by the use of clay

Because clay contains abrasives...I would rinse the car off with a hose, dry it and then proceed to the Cleaner Wax

There are different grades of clay. Some are more abrasive than others

I usually polish after I clay, so my process is:

-Wash
-Clay with rinseless wash
-Wipe dry with a MF
-Polish