PDA

View Full Version : IPA needed before hydro2?

MDX Detailing
11-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Is an IPA wipedown necessary before hydro2? Or can i polish paint with menz then go straight to hydro? Does paint need to be perfectly clean of oils and polishes for hydro2 to work?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

trashmanssd
11-03-2014, 12:48 PM
It will work better if you do. I usually just wash it since you want the car wet to apply Hydro2 anyways. Just do a quick 2 bucket wash gets all the dust and a lot of the oils off.

Niblick
11-03-2014, 01:02 PM
a quick google of the product instructions brings up this:
In shaded location or shop wash your vehicle and remove any dirt from the surfaces. Use car shampoos with no wax or gloss enhancers!! There is NO NEED to dry off the vehicle! But surface must be clean well from soap residues.
so i would guess that it reacts badly with anything oil based. probably best to do a wipedown first

KMG
11-03-2014, 01:09 PM
You do not need to do a wipe down at all. Just wash the vehicle and apply when you finished washing. Do one panel at a time and you will have no problems. I use Hydr02 a lot, and it easily one of my favorite products.

MDX Detailing
11-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys. What's best soaps to use for a wash before hydro2? Reset I'm guessing?
Off topic- Niblick, you're a golfer I'm guessing? My pappy always called his clubs old school names, brings back nice memories.

MDX Detailing
11-03-2014, 01:11 PM
I'll try it with no wipedown, see how it goes. I've been reading alot on it, planning on using it alot next year for upselling.

allenk4
11-03-2014, 01:29 PM
I'll try it with no wipedown, see how it goes. I've been reading alot on it, planning on using it alot next year for upselling.

Do a real test, by prepping half the hood with an IPA wipe down and then evaluate longevity, beading characteristics, etc.

Thanks for taking this test on. It should be beneficial for all of us on the Forum

MDX Detailing
11-03-2014, 01:35 PM
I'll do a test on a family members car soon. Today im just doing a car for a dealership. Longevity doesn't really matter and I'll never see the car again most likely.

Rsurfer
11-03-2014, 01:39 PM
I'll do a test on a family members car soon. Today im just doing a car for a dealership. Longevity doesn't really matter and I'll never see the car again most likely.

Car Pro's Reset was made for what you are doing.

MDX Detailing
11-03-2014, 02:23 PM
For some reason I was thinking reset just didn't have any gloss enhancers. Just read the description on carpros site. Now i understand why the name reset.

Goin Rogue
11-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Another question about Hydro2:

If coating the wheels is it best to remove them first? (Is it safe to get Hydro2 on the rotors/calipers?)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Another question about Hydro2:

If coating the wheels is it best to remove them first? (Is it safe to get Hydro2 on the rotors/calipers?)

Leave them on unless you want to coat the barrels as well. If I take the wheels off, it would get a ceramic coating. It does not affect brakes.

HD.Detailing
11-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I like to use strong concentration of CG and Clear, that should be more than adequate for hydro

If you really want to make sure it's clear of oils wash spray with OPC and strong concentration CG and clear or similar soap. (I tend to use this method when using Reload)

Niblick
11-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys. What's best soaps to use for a wash before hydro2? Reset I'm guessing?
Off topic- Niblick, you're a golfer I'm guessing? My pappy always called his clubs old school names, brings back nice memories.

Yes mate. Don't get out as often as I'd like, but I guess most golfers probably say that lol