PDA

View Full Version : Glass cleaners-Homemade and consumer/pro

Pages : [1] 2

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I have been thinking of using a homemade glass cleaner instead of buying a glass cleaner. What is the point in spending 7 or 10$ a bottle is I can make my own right? Well I was thinking of using the old distiled white vinegar and distiled water trick. Then I was talking to someone about it and they said that it might cause problems if you accidentally get it on some metal or if it leaks down the window into the door and rust up some of the metal parts in there. Plus it might leave a nasty smell. Now im thinking whether to use a consumer/pro automotive glass cleaner or maybe a homemade concoction. I want to use what ever works best(haze and streak free) but is very safe and economical. I know stoners glass cleaner is very very very popular. I have never tried it as OTC stuff scares me sometimes, or they are usually not as good as boutique stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good, well priced glass cleaner, and or a homemade suggestion?:grouphug:

shadybreal
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
I've been using rubbing alcohol and water mixed 50/50 for a couple weeks now w/ no problems. I was getting streaking w/ every glass cleaner i used. No more streaks!

wolfpacker92
08-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but nothing is better than Stoners. And with the growing number of vehicles with aftermarket window tinting I would make sure that the product I used is tint safe ~ Again Stoners hands down.

joe.p
08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
Hate to burst your bubble but nothing is better than Stonersthat is subject to ones opinions..i used to stoners for quite ahwile until i picked up a bottle of NXT glass cleaner

AL417
08-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I used to use Stoners too. Then I tried Diamondite Perfect Vision and DP Krystal Vision. I like both of them too. I'd have to say DP gets my vote. What so scarey about OTC products?

ScottB
08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Stoners, Sprayway, DP, and NXT glass cleaners are all nice offerings and wont break the bank.

Al-53
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
most glass cleaners are alc and water....and a foaming agent for spray can use...

best glass cleaner I have used has been one by GM called Optikleen..I buy a quart and mix it in a spray bottle.....a quart makes 2 gallons...its actually a windshield washer fluid...but mixed in a spray bottle its a great glass cleaner..no streaks ever...get at the parts counter...

AL

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
I used to use Stoners too. Then I tried Diamondite Perfect Vision and DP Krystal Vision. I like both of them too. I'd have to say DP gets my vote. What so scarey about OTC products?

Well some OTC products can be harmful. Wheel cleaners for example.

dengood1
08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Vinegar REALLY smells bad.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I've been using rubbing alcohol and water mixed 50/50 for a couple weeks now w/ no problems. I was getting streaking w/ every glass cleaner i used. No more streaks!

I tought about that one too, but the alcohol will dry out skin. And im not going to put on a pair of gloves on every time...:(

AL417
08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Well some OTC products can be harmful. Wheel cleaners for example.Most everything can be harmful if used incorrectly or used in inexperienced hands. Read the labels, listen and learn; it's a good first step in gaining experience and knowledge.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Most everything can be harmful if used incorrectly or used in inexperienced hands. Read the labels, listen and learn; it's a good first step in gaining experience and knowledge.

I dont think you are understanding me, this has nothing to do about using a product correctly or reading labels. Some OTC products can be dangerous even if they are used correctly. Hydrochloric acid based wheel cleaners for example, even if used correctly they can damage parts.

AL417
08-14-2007, 09:50 PM
I dont think you are understanding me, this has nothing to do about using a product correctly or reading labels. Some OTC products can be dangerous even if they are used correctly. Hydrochloric acid based wheel cleaners for example, even if used correctly they can damage parts.Oohh, right, got it.

I completely understand you.

Thejoyofdriving
08-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Oohh, right, got it.

I completely understand you.:)

Rsurfer
08-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Aren't we talking about glass cleaners and not wheel cleaners?