PDA

View Full Version : Washing microfiber towels - revisited

Pages : [1] 2

BlueGT
11-02-2014, 11:43 AM
Common topic I know - but remains difficult to sort out for me, and I feel I've read every thread on the internet about this.

I have a new car I bought this spring and have an interest in keeping it nice; not perfect, no illusions about that, but looking great and better than most. I’ve made some mistakes early on due to insufficient knowledge (like waiting a few weeks to clean off bird droppings - oops!). I started with Meg’s products a few months ago and since have accumulated a fair amount of optimum products (car wax, poli-seal, opti-seal, ONR, tire gel, power clean) as well.

Here’s my plan (and questions):

Washing/drying towels: Due to living in an apartment, I’ll be doing mostly rinse-less washes (ONRWS and ONR wash and wax).
I don’t see the point in washing my wash/drying towels separately as they will both be exposed to the same conditions (ONR, ONRWW) at the same stage in the car care process, although obviously my wash towels will be dirtier and hopefully minimal dirt will be on the drying towels.
I will plan on washing my car about once/week except if it’s too cold (in NC so not that often), so I plan on saving my towels up for about 3-4 weeks and washing in one load
Thoughts?

Glass (and interior?) towels: Most of what I’ve read says to wash glass MF towels separately to prevent streaking on glass. However, to avoid too many small loads (I only maintain my car), I was considering washing glass towels with my interior towels, not including nasty door jamb towels, but mostly dash and leather seat maintenance towels. There shouldn’t be any sealant type stuff on my interior towels which is why I feel it should be safe to wash them with glass towels (both are non-paint as well)
Thoughts on this?
*I’ve heard dash dressing can be nasty stuff (I have Meg’s ultimate interior protectant), so I may just do this every once in awhile and either hand-wash these or use disposable 25 cent cotton rags;
*For the most part, I’ll keep the dash maintained with a simple product like Meg’s quick interior detailer (don’t really see much need for shine, just clean and minimal dust)

Compound/polish/wax towels:
Here’s my plan:
Compound/polish about once a year as needed, using light polish (Meg’s ultimate polish) a little more often if need be.
Wax/sealant about every 3-4 months; if not polishing, I’ll be using p21s paintwork cleaner or similar (as least abrasive as possible) to prep before LSP.
I currently have 6 compound/polish towels and 6 wax/sealant towels, using roughly 2 towels for each stage (paintwork cleaning, polishing or waxing); towels are all Meg’s supreme shine, and will cut one corner off the polish towels to keep them separate.
So…
I’ve read to ideally wash water soluble towels (polish/compound) separate from water insoluble towels (sealant/wax); however, for me, this could mean waiting 6 months to accumulate 6 towels of either category before washing, and 6 towels is a pretty small washer load anyway.
I feel that if I’m only doing some sort of compound/polish/wax no more often than every 3 months, to just wash all of these polish/wax towels together as soon as I’m finished (same day); my polish and wax towels will look different so I won’t be mixing them up, but I suppose there’s a possibility of “transfer of LSP” to the polish towels, and I’ve also read the reverse, that having residual polish in my LSP towels could cause marring of the paint - help?? If the wash process (I have chemical guys MF cleaner) works well, this all shouldn’t be much if any of an issue right?
To further confuse things, for those that separate polish/wax MF towels for one reason or another, what do you do when you use an AIO? I have poli-seal I may try a few times primarily on other cars (second car, friends, family); the same buffing towel will obviously be exposed to a substance that is a polish and a sealant.
Finally, for those that are insistent on keeping polish/wax towels separate, do YOU think it’s ok to wait 3-6 months to wash those separately so I’m at least doing a load of 6 instead of 2-3 towels? I feel it’s either wash polish/wax towels together after I’m done sealing the car, or wait a number of months until all 6 of either category has been used up and then wash.
(I don’t feel like buying more polish/wax towels for as infrequently I’ll be using them - I already have bought over 50 towels in the past few months including 24 for rinse-less washing, 12 for polish/wax, 4-5 drying, 4-5 glass towels, 8-10 interior towels (dollar store), 8 or so wheel/tire towels).
Thoughts?

Wheel/tire towels:
I will probably hand-wash these due to the thought of nasty brake dust and such in my washer.
Who all washes wheel towels in the washer?
Maybe add nasty door jamb towels to this hand-wash group
I probably won’t clean the engine bay all that often (all covered in plastic anyway), and with no access to a power washer, I will probably wipe down the engine bay a few times a year with APC and disposable cotton shop towels

So even after trying to combine load types I’m still at 4; I feel like this is too many for a weekend guy just maintaining my own car and occasionally helping someone else out, but after learning so much on here, I can’t seem to be OK with having 1 or 2 load types. Of course if I was confident the MF detergent and washing process overall was doing an excellent job I guess I’d be ok with throwing everything in together.

Sorry for the lengthy post on a topic that comes up often - thanks for reading this far!

Niblick
11-02-2014, 12:01 PM
i think if your using an interior protecter ant rather than a standard dressing, you may well be better off using cheap disposable cloths. many dressings are oil or water based and so will break down under the right wash conditions, but its very difficult to remove what is essentially a coating from cloth. Chemical guys microfibre wash is great for removing wax and dressing residue btw.

frankprozzoly
11-02-2014, 12:06 PM
The only towels I separate are the cheap Costco towels fir the wheels and engine. Interior, wax , compound, waterless, all of it gets washed together. There isn't a lot of product on any one towel because I switch them out alot. I don't have issues with the towels even though they probably should be separated

Moldavite
11-02-2014, 12:59 PM
I have the same issue few months back :)
For me:
Glass towel only hand wash since it's not that dirty and only use 2-3per wash.
Rinseless wash and drying towel can be wash in the same load. I use at least 8 towel total + drying. Meg supreme shine. I will rinse with clean water before I dump in washing machine (to release most dirt)

I also use Meg QID and follow with 303AP, I perfer hand wash 2-4 towel

Leather only deep clean yearly 4-6 towel hand wash.
Weekly only damp cloth wipe down
2 cloth hand wash.

Polish/ compound same load

Sealant /wax i prefer hand wash

Infant I mostly use hand wash as I only take care of 2 car (usually wash on separate day) so not many towel to wash

Hope this help :)

allenk4
11-02-2014, 01:33 PM
You are not using enough towels

You should have plenty of towels to do a small load after each wash

By waiting to wash towels for weeks, you risk stains setting in, mild and mildew

Treat yourself to a couple of CarPro FastGlass towels and wash them by hand in the sink

VISITOR
11-02-2014, 01:48 PM
two piles of microfiber. one is the costco microfiber towels that are used for wheels/wells, engine, and other less important tasks. if the towels are overly dirty, i will toss them after i feel they are no longer usable, otherwise they get washed when there is a good size amount (not going to waste water/detergent for five towels) the other pile is the microfibers used on paint for qd'ing/spray wax, removing compound/polishes, windows, rinseless washes, etc., and are washed when there is a good size amount as well (if they are a little damp/wet, i will hang them up on pant hangers to make sure they dry completely). both piles are washed and laundered seperately.

Blade
11-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I also have no illusions about maintaining my daily drivers. With that in mind, I follow KISS.

As long as I use a trusted MF detergent, I simply divide my towels into 2 loads: wheel/tires/interior/cheap towels vs paint/good towels. The underlying thought is not to mar the paint, therefore avoid cross-contamination of dirt. I don't worry at all about used product contamination. I let the MF detergent do its magic. Worked for me so far all these years.

BlueGT
11-02-2014, 01:50 PM
You are not using enough towels

You should have plenty of towels to do a small load after each wash

By waiting to wash towels for weeks, you risk stains setting in, mild and mildew

Treat yourself to a couple of CarPro FastGlass towels and wash them by hand in the sink

Stains are a possibility.

I have been drying my weekly wash/dry with a fan in the spare bathroom prior to putting them in a bin waiting for the wash so they won't mildew.

I'm using about 6-8 chemical guys microfibers per rinse less wash along (Garry Dean method) with 1 or 2 drying towels.

BlueGT
11-02-2014, 01:56 PM
I also have no illusions about maintaining my daily drivers. With that in mind, I follow KISS.

As long as I use a trusted MF detergent, I simply divide my towels into 2 loads: wheel/tires/interior/cheap towels vs paint/good towels. The underlying thought is not to mar the paint, therefore avoid cross-contamination of dirt. I don't worry at all about used product contamination. I let the MF detergent do its magic. Worked for me so far all these years.

I really would like to get comfortable with this line of thinking as I only detail my own car.

If I washed/detailed more frequently and had a ton of towels I'd probably just have 7 wash loads or something crazy :xyxthumbs:

Blade
11-02-2014, 04:56 PM
I really would like to get comfortable with this line of thinking as I only detail my own car.

If I washed/detailed more frequently and had a ton of towels I'd probably just have 7 wash loads or something crazy :xyxthumbs:I'm a result-oriented realist. Washing towels into more than 2 loads is simply not practical in my case. I'm sure I'm not unique in this thinking.

Solomonn
11-05-2014, 07:43 PM

What's the trusted MF detergent that you use?

Woob
11-06-2014, 01:17 PM
All free & clear works. This may help http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/76621-microfiber-care-guide-liquid-finish-how-clean-your-car-microfibers.html

spiralout462
11-06-2014, 01:33 PM
I use a "two tier" method of towel maintenance.

Tier 1: Any towel that touches paint.

Tier 2: All other towels, including glass and interior.

Like yourself, I only maintain my personal vehicles and would feel rather guilty if I ran a wash with 3 glass towels in it. :) I have two containers that collect dirty/used towels so they stay separate throughout the entire process. My method has worked well for me, with no adverse consequences noted.

sparkism13
11-06-2014, 01:54 PM
I wash everything together. Engine, grease, heavy brake dust towels go in the trash. For really dirty towels that I want to save, I put them into a bucket with APC, 303 Fabric cleaner, or Griot's foam and pad cleaner to pre-soak while I finish up. I rinse them off a bit to get the loose stuff off, and then throw everything in the washer with Tide. Usually do two rinse cycles and dry on low heat. Everything comes out great.

You might be over-thinking it (like we all do in the beginning). Having to separate so many loads every time you wash your car takes the fun out of the hobby. No thanks for me.

Garyhw48
11-06-2014, 03:12 PM
You might be over-thinking it (like we all do in the beginning). Having to separate so many loads every time you wash your car takes the fun out of the hobby. No thanks for me.

I agree. I simply put the washer on extra small load, hot water, double detergent, double rinse and they come out perfectly clean and fine. Dry them on medium heat and I can't tell them from new.

One thing I learned not to do is put the white terry cotton towels, that I clean my pads on the fly with, in the washer or dryer with my MF towels. It takes an hour to pick off the white lint!