PDA

View Full Version : Glaze InBetween Top Coats

Krindgen
11-02-2014, 10:40 AM
I have a black 2011 GMC Yukon that I just completed correcting. For some time I had been damaging the paint with what I think I found to be my washing process. I was using a black headed boar's hair brush and it was scratching.

I clayed first. My first step was to correct with Shine Supply Classic Cut. This did a really job of eliminating the majority of the scratches, in one pass, but did leave swirls. At that point I debated gambling with an AIO that had swirl removing capabilities, or going with a straight swirl remover. I was doing this outside and over a course of two days over a tow week period. I took a day off and I went with the Megs swirl remover and was happy I did. There were still a few swirls, so went with a Griot's AIO Paint Sealant which has some swirl removing properties.

Through this all I learned how to use my shop light to spot swirls before moving on. did all coats with a Griot's DA and hexlogic pads.

I wanted to try a test spot of glaze after the Classic Cut to see if I could get away with filling the remaining swirls and adding some depth. But, I wanted to get rid of all the swirls and not fill them to appear later.

So I now have a coat of the Griot's AIO Paint Sealant, and will probably put a layer of the Griot's Paint Sealant on top in another week.

My question, can I use the Meg's Glaze in between, before the final coat of wax??? Is there any use?

I was afraid of the glaze step thinking I may smudge the appearance, and, I was running out of clean borderless blondes.

I'll try to post some pics later and I'll explain the pads I used as I found that the pad/polish combo was a key.

Niblick
11-02-2014, 11:39 AM
not sure if the glaze you have in mind has a cleanser in it. if it does, you may find that it actually starts to strip the polish base layer and so would be counter productive. try it and see. if it doesn't work out the way you want, just strip it and start again. there are so many possible ways of doing things, sometimes you've just gotta give it a whirl :xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
11-02-2014, 12:21 PM
My question, can I use the Meg's Glaze in between, before the final coat of wax??? Is there any use?

I was afraid of the glaze step thinking I may smudge the appearance, and, I was running out of clean borderless blondes.

Is this glaze Meguiar's M07 Show Car Glaze?
If so:
This is a pure polish that has no abrasives.
As such:
I don't see it "smudging the appearance".

It will add plenty of gloss...
But is it necessary? Your choice.
Just make sure to add your Wax-LSP.

Also:
Being low on certain towels shouldn't be a
deal-breaker in applying M07, IMO.

Note:
Please disregard the above
if the glaze is not M07.

Bob