PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice? Removing Type 1 Bird Droppings on Jet Black BMW 328i

glisten
10-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Last week I did an entry level detail on a new clients car. It was this gorgeous, jet black, BMW 328i. As soon as I saw his vehicle, I could see "stains" on the hood that I knew were either from tree sap or bird droppings.

My entry level detail does not include any type of paint correction/compounding. I only use an AIO for the budget the client wanted. Once I saw the car, right away I knew that my AIO process was not going to remove the spots on his hood.
So I did the detail anyway (as he wanted) and after the fact we talked about what to do next as far as removing the stains. Based on my understanding, if these were to be type 2 droppings, he probably just needs a new paint job as opposed to trying to polish them out (considering how many droppings there are).

However, me and the client both want to at least try and polish them out. They look like Type 1 to me.

I do not have any experience removing this type of defect. I've done paint correction but I feel this is a tad bit more than whats typical.

1. These spots are hardly visible. 90% of the time they can't even be seen. The client says they are from bird droppings. Could they be something else? I feel like bird droppings are usually more obvious...

2. If this was your issue, what would you do? What polisher would you use? What pads would you use? What compound (if any?!) would you use? What polish would you use?

3. I'll be using the Flex 3401- however, out of curiosity,
does anyone think the Porter could handle a job like this?

4. Suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again for him? Constant cleanings? What about a coating like CQuartz? I'm trying to set him up on a weekly or monthly detailing schedule.

Apparently every vehicle at his work looks like this. I really hope I can get them out because it's a potential gold mine for referrals!

Thank you for any and all help!

Post Script: FYI- I enhanced the photos to make the blemishes more visible. Had I not done so, you wouldn't be able to see them.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1731.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1729.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1728.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1730.JPG

allenk4
10-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Just like correcting swirls and scratches, do a Test Spot using the least aggressive methods 1st

Tough to tell exactly what is going on without some close-up pictures

I have compounded etching out in the past using a Meguiar's MF pad and "edging" them out

Deeper defects can require damp sanding. Correcting the number of defects in the vehicle pictures would be a very time involved process with significant risk

FUNX650
10-31-2014, 11:34 PM
Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24924-two-types-bird-dropping-etchings.html)

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings

Type I Bird Dropping - Topical Stain Etching
Type II Bird Dropping - Fractured/Wrinkled Etching

Type I Bird Dropping - Topical Stain Etching
Type I Topical Stain Etchings are usually only topical, that is shallow enough that they can be completely removed or at least greatly improved to the point where they are difficult to see.

This type of etching can be removed using a clear coat safe compound or polish by hand or machine.

Hand removal is almost always more efficient as you can exert more pressure to a small area and thus keep your work area isolated to just the affected area.

By machine you can use a Spot Repair System, again to keep the work area isolated to just the affected area.

Bob

Garyhw48
10-31-2014, 11:42 PM
glisten, I have personally seen this one time before. The only thing I could come up with was chemical etchings. It was on a Buick my wife drove to work and one week they just showed up. I think something came out of a truck on the interstate and ate through the paint. I'm just guessing but have no other answers.

The defects didn't go all the way to the base coat, but were close so I wet sanded them out with 2500 and then buffed and it looked fine.

I don't think I would have risked this on another persons car but went ahead since I owned it.

Something like this is a hard call to make. The owner would have to insist before I would touch this and give me something in writing to cover liability.

BillE
11-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Are you sure that those are truly bird 'leftovers' and not water spots?

Bill

glisten
11-01-2014, 08:53 AM
BillE- I was wondering the same thing (see question 1 in the thread).

The owner said they are from bird droppings but he may not of actually paid close enough attention when they appeared.

shiners/buck
11-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Are you sure that those are truly bird 'leftovers' and not water spots?

Bill

They do look more like water spots to me also. Meguiars has a water spot remover that works well even on glass.

swanicyouth
11-01-2014, 09:13 AM
IMHO first thing you need is a PTG. BMW paint is quite hardy and should be roughly around 120-140 microns+ or so when new.

My approach would be to try to compound them off first - this is assuming you have verified they are below the surface and not on the surface.

But, BE CAREFUL... Don't just keep compounding the same spot over and over. This is a recipe for going through the clear coat. Do 5 or six slow passes and check for improvement.

If little to no improvement after compounding - wet sanding gently with 3000 grit should be a good next step. Despite common perception, WS is actually SAFER than heavy compounding over and over to remove isolated defects because it levels the peaks of the defects better/faster than compounding and you get a more uniform material removal.

Good Luck.