PDA

View Full Version : Temperature to apply coating

frankprozzoly
10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
What temperature is too cold to apply a coating? I do have a garage

aim4squirrels
10-30-2014, 08:26 PM
I can't speak for all coatings, but the Pinnacle Black label surface coating had some issues for me hovering around 56F.

Had issues with it setting up and flashing correctly that cool. Seems all I did was push the product around the paint for a while, and there were smudges that persisted into the second day and were difuclt to remove.

I'd keep it north of 60 degrees for application.

frankprozzoly
10-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks I guess I'm pushing it this time of year. Maybe I'll wait till spring

FUNX650
10-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks I guess I'm pushing it this time of year. Maybe I'll wait till spring
Maybe you won't have to wait 'til spring.
CarPro's CQuartz UK Coating's recommended
working temperatures: 3c to 40c

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image636.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/83962)

Bob

frankprozzoly
10-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks Bob. I'm reading up on the different brands. Steve said opti coat would be a good choice. He also said pinnacle is supposed to be user friendly. Thats what i need, the most user friendly. I watched cee dog's thread he made years ago comparing opti coat and cquartz

FUNX650
10-30-2014, 10:18 PM
•Optimum's temperature-range recommendation for their Coatings, both the Pro and 2.0<<<(for those that still have some)...is 50-90 F.

•Have yet to hear about the temperature-range for their newest Coating: Gloss Coat.

**Panel temperature, as well as humidity, often play a major role in Coatings' application processes.

Bob

KMG
10-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Most vary by manufacturer, so I would check with them. However most of the coatings I use it is around 50 that is the cut off. I don't apply anything if the temp is under 50, however my new heater for the garage should be here next week so that won't be much of an issue anymore.

VP Mark
10-31-2014, 07:30 AM
I installed gloss coat on an SUV last night in the 50s and had no issues. Have applied pinnacle black label coatings near freezing before and it went perfectly. If product requires flash time just give it a little extra.

frankprozzoly
10-31-2014, 07:49 AM
I sort of know what flashing looks like. So I obviously don't want to wipe too soon or too late. I would think a thick MF would pull off some of the coating. Is it recommended to level with applicator instead of towel. Im assuming because the paint is bone clean that one applicator is good for entire car

SYMAWD
10-31-2014, 08:10 AM
I sort of know what flashing looks like. So I obviously don't want to wipe too soon or too late. I would think a thick MF would pull off some of the coating. Is it recommended to level with applicator instead of towel. Im assuming because the paint is bone clean that one applicator is good for entire car

It depends, with CQuartz you should switch out the suede towel a few times as the coating could crystalize on it.

Evan.J
10-31-2014, 08:50 AM
The temperature and application will vary greatly depending on the coating.

I have applied them all in all types of weather and I can say when it gets cold the application process begins to take longer and longer as the temperature drops.

Coatings are very finicky and the majority of it has to do with the weather and humidity. Those two factor will affect the flash time and dry time of the coatings.

Even though the paint may be clean there is no doubt that dust will settle on the paint and you are working. If you pick up any dust you will run the risk of dragging those contaminants across the panel and scratch the paint. Changing out your applicator or keeping it clean is very important

frankprozzoly
10-31-2014, 09:33 AM
I spoke with Adam. That guy really knows his product. Nice guy. Unfortunately that's just not in my budget right now. You guys do beautiful work Evan

frankprozzoly
10-31-2014, 09:35 AM
What I might do is take a week to do the whole car. Take my time with one panel

SameGuy
10-31-2014, 09:45 AM
That's what I'm doing this week with this Corolla. I was given the go-ahead to use it for experiments and practice. In exchange, the owner will get a paint coating, polished and coated glass, restored headlamps and coated tires. I know I could've whipped out this neglected (I'd put the condition between a 4 and a 5) daily driver with a really good AIO or two-step DAMF job, but I decided to go to town (mostly at my expense, in exchange for the learning experience). It helps that the owner is my mom. :D