PDA

View Full Version : Is XMT 360 strong enough?

hydro556
08-14-2007, 05:51 PM
I am a relative newb to swirl removal. I have been using XMT360 on an orange LC pad with my Makita 6040. It has made every vehicle I have done look great, even without wax. And it seems to really last, as my Ram is just as shiny today as it was the day I did it, probably a month ago. But it doesnt seem to do much as far as swirl removal. I havent been too aggressive because I dont really have many swirls in my paint and I am being cautious. I have a friend with a near new Toyota Tundra. It is a dark green, really sharp. He is wanting me to buff it and try and remove swirls. I want to use the LEAST aggressive product, especially on someone elses truck. I know everyone says you almost have to try and screw up with an RO, but I am nervous anyway. Question is this- Should the 360 with an orange pad on the Makita be able to remove minor swirls or do I have to step up to a more aggressive polish? I dont mind taking more time if it means I can stay with the 360. Maybe I need to apply more pressure and work more slowly, I just need reassurance I wont mess up my paint or someone elses. Thanks.

Meghan
08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
If you have mild swirls I would go with XMT 1 or 2 then follow with 360.

AL417
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
You're doing the right thing by starting out with the least aggressive polish. I have a Tacoma and I find the paint to be soft so I would imagine the Tundra would be the same but then again I've never detailed a Tundra (yet):) . Do a test spot on the truck with 360 and see if you're getting the results you want. If not, you can step up a notch to your next aggressive pad or switch to your next aggressive polish. There is no magic formula until you have the vehicle in front of you. It sounds like you have the mechanics down, stick with them and you'll be OK.

hydro556
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
I may need to place another order before I do this one. I currently only have LC orange, black, white and wool pads. The only non OTC polish I have is the 360. I have some TW mild and heavy rubbing compound but am leery about using them after being on this site for a while. Am I okay on pads? I am trying to decide what other polishes to get with so many out there. Lots of questions I know, but I am a worrier.

Actually, I do have some other compounds I forgot about but I dont know if I should use them on the truck. I have a Meguiars marine restoration kit. It has an oxidation remover, polish and carnuba wax. Would these be effective for automotive use? Thaks guys(and gals).

ltoman
08-14-2007, 07:39 PM
I have used XMT 360, and i really think you will need XMT #2 then #1. You can start by using #1 and see if it gives the results you are after. IMHO, just isn't a big swirl buster, although I do like it. I just used it on our 06 Saturn Relay van - burgundy metallic.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

6LS2
08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Dont know about you guys, but I've had great results when it comes to swirl removal with XMT 360. With an orange pad you should be able to remove them all.

sparkie
08-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Dont know about you guys, but I've had great results when it comes to swirl removal with XMT 360. With an orange pad you should be able to remove them all. Me too, but mine with edge yellow pad....

supercharged
08-15-2007, 01:01 AM
I am a relative newb to swirl removal. I have been using XMT360 on an orange LC pad with my Makita 6040. It has made every vehicle I have done look great, even without wax. And it seems to really last, as my Ram is just as shiny today as it was the day I did it, probably a month ago. But it doesnt seem to do much as far as swirl removal. I havent been too aggressive because I dont really have many swirls in my paint and I am being cautious. I have a friend with a near new Toyota Tundra. It is a dark green, really sharp. He is wanting me to buff it and try and remove swirls. I want to use the LEAST aggressive product, especially on someone elses truck. I know everyone says you almost have to try and screw up with an RO, but I am nervous anyway. Question is this- Should the 360 with an orange pad on the Makita be able to remove minor swirls or do I have to step up to a more aggressive polish? I dont mind taking more time if it means I can stay with the 360. Maybe I need to apply more pressure and work more slowly, I just need reassurance I wont mess up my paint or someone elses. Thanks.
XMT 360 is pad dependant. Even with yellow pad, it will at most take care of mild swirls...heavy swirls - XMT 3 or 4.

hydro556
08-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Orangs is the most aggressive pad I have, is yellow more aggressive?